Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The queer archive: Gay subtext in x-men comics

Hi Everyone,

I think we should maybe start a thread where we collect all the queer subtexts and homoeroticism written into the X-Men lore over the years. Chris Claremont and Bryan Singer in particular have been quite evident with their subtleties.

I start with some I remember:

Storm & Yukio. This entire relationship is obviously a lot more than friendship:

Storm & Yukio.jpg

Xavier and Magneto...just get a room already!

XavierDeath03.jpg

Nightcrawler and Logan? What is going on here? #BeerBottleErection

Wolverine cover.jpg

Iceman's Outing(s):

Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Spectacular Member

"You can convince me to do anything!"

Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...

Finger licking good.jpg

(courtesy of yogaflame)

Spectacular Member

The subtext that became canon:

tumblr_inline_p249dl33tn1r24r6r_540.jpg

069cdc36ad26cbf663d6dc32be02d868.jpg

"They became LOVERS."

The last image also shows Nightcrawler's real biological parents!!!

I think it is time to make Mystique genderqueer again. She clearly is not cis and Eric Raven is Nightcrawler's father. Telling the story who is Nightcrawler's mother in the comicbooks would be so amazing!!! Azazel needs to vanish from Nightcrawler's past anyway!

Iceman:

gay.jpg
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I think we should maybe start a thread where we collect all the queer subtexts and homoeroticism written into the X-Men lore over the years. Chris Claremont and Bryan Singer in particular have been quite evident with their subtleties.

I start with some I remember:

Storm & Yukio. This entire relationship is obviously a lot more than friendship:

Storm & Yukio.jpg

Xavier and Magneto...just get a room already!

XavierDeath03.jpg

Nightcrawler and Logan? What is going on here? #BeerBottleErection

Wolverine cover.jpg

Iceman's Outing(s):

The beer bottle erection thing was done as a joke though.
    Like this thread.

On a serious note though, did I stumble onto Tumblr? Whats with the Magneto x Xavier stuff?
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Cape View Post
    The beer bottle erection thing was done as a joke though.
    Like this thread.

On a serious note though, did I stumble onto Tumblr? Whats with the Magneto x Xavier stuff?
    so queer subtext is only a joke to you? Maybe don't come into this thread if you do not understand the affective dimension of this debate!

so queer subtext is only a joke to you? Maybe don't come into this thread if you do not understand the affective dimension of this debate!
    I mean I don't see the point of focusing on trying to turn characters that aren't gay gay when there's plenty of gay comic characters that need recognition.

I mean I don't see the point of focusing on trying to turn characters that aren't gay gay when there's plenty of gay comic characters that need recognition.
    Who wasn't gay?

Spectacular Member

It is a very recent development though to have queer representation in comicbooks. Nonetheless, many progressive comic book writers already hinted at the queerness of these characters in times when this topic was still actively censored by companies (see Claremont). Interpreting the queer subtext also has an emotional component for many fans. Just image, you grow up without any representation in popular media (or solely distorted images and homophobic ideas) and you find these subtle references everywhere. Affectively it becomes a beautiful thing to read between the lines and see that your identity is referenced. Bringing these "hidden transcript" to the forefront and make them canon is a beautiful appreciation for gay fans and their readings of these books.

your anxiety and irritation feeling the need to articulate your opinion here is the reason why it is actually good idea to re-introduce established characters as explicitly gay because you have to engage with your own narrow worldview and bias if your favorite character turns out to be gay all along (see Iceman!). I think his outing was such a brilliant idea! Claiming the sexuality of these characters as all straight is such a political and aggressive move from you. Characters also change constantly and radically over the years, why shouldn't their sexuality also adapt??!?!
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 04:20 AM.

It is a very recent development though to have queer representation in comicbooks. Nonetheless, many progressive comic book writers already hinted at the queerness of these characters in times when this topic was still actively censored by companies (see Claremont). Interpreting the queer subtext also has an emotional component for many fans. Just image, you grow up without any representation in popular media (or solely distorted images and homophobic ideas) and you find these subtle references everywhere. Affectively it becomes a beautiful thing to read between the lines and see that your identity is referenced. Bringing these "hidden transcript" to the forefront and make them canon is a beautiful appreciation for gay fans and their readings of these books.

your anxiety and irritation feeling the need to articulate your opinion here is the reason why it is actually good idea to re-introduce established characters as explicitly gay because you have to engage with your own narrow worldview and bias if your favorite character turns out to be gay all along (see Iceman!). I think his outing was such a brilliant idea! Claiming the sexuality of these characters as all straight is such a political and aggressive move from you. Characters also change constantly and radically over the years, why shouldn't their sexuality also adapt??!?!
    Of course you leap straight to the "muh homophobia" card. Idgaf if a character is gay. My closest friends are gay/trans and bi. Hell, Midnighter is my third favorite DC character and I'm an advocate for gay Hercules. I just think its counterproductive to focus on fan theories when theres an assload of gay characters getting the shaft.

Spectacular Member

Of course you leap straight to the "muh homophobia" card. Idgaf if a character is gay. My closest friends are gay/trans and bi. Hell, Midnighter is my third favorite DC character and I'm an advocate for gay Hercules. I just think its counterproductive to focus on fan theories when theres an assload of gay characters getting the shaft.
    But I do not understand why both perspectives have to be mutually exclusive. Why can't we focus on the past and also celebrate the future with new characters. You are creating an artificial opposition.

I'm not leaping in any card. You are wasting my time and stealing my energy. Maybe this is not your thread.

But I do not understand why both perspectives have to be mutually exclusive. Why can't we focus on the past and also celebrate the future with new characters. You are creating an artificial opposition.

I'm not leaping in any card. You are wasting my time and stealing my energy. Maybe this is not your thread.
    Mostly because I don't think straight characters should be turned gay, because 9/10 times, it doesn't work.

Compare the fans' opinion on Midnighter to the split between the fandom over Iceman.

Ha Nice!
    Freudian Slip?
    Mostly because I don't think straight characters should be turned gay, because 9/10 times, it doesn't work.
    ' .
    when has it failed?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ha Nice!
    Freudian Slip?
    when has it failed?
    How?

Also I just gave an example of how its failed. Look at Iceman.

Spectacular Member

How?

what are we even discussing here? There is basically ONLY Iceman. who else of all the fundamentally and deeply straight mutant character has been turned gay after ages of clearly defined and articulated dogmatic straightness?

Iceman is starting the second season of his super queer themed series. His outing looks pretty successful to me!
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 05:08 AM.

How?

Iceman has got some solo series recently. It doesn't seem like a failure.