Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default True or false: isolation is the only reason why cultures exist?

And the internet makes cultural isolation completely impossible in the modern day.

BANNED

False.

There's tons of different cultures that originated on the internet.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Isolation is an illusion.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

One can take the opposite approach: cultures develop and evolve thanks largely to contact with other cultures. Cultural enclaves (cultural isolates enveloped into a larger culture) tends to become extremely stagnant and conservatives.

I only need to go outside for work, gym, shopping, car/lawn maintenance issues. And most of those could be eliminated if I really wanted to be a incel CHUD.

With the internet I could become an even more socially retarded Gilligan.

I can think of very few cultures that existed in isolation. From Sumeria to Egypt to Greece to Rome to any European country. They all interacted with the rest of the world.
    Even the ones you might consider isolated, like the peoples of the Americas, interacted with each others cultures.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I mean, even if there was only one culture, it'd still be a culture, with more variations within the larger the culture is.

Cultures fraction off from bigger cultures, grow themselves, then split all the time, throughout history, and in rapid speed here on the internet.

Even within a core family group, the individuals are going to have different interests and views. This will inevitably lead them to seek out different things to do and other groups to be a part of.

In this way, even though the internet has been trending towards everyone being more or less shoved together one the same handful of major aggregation websites, the trend has always been for people to fraction off into groups, even on said websites. Just one here, there's one big forum, but there's people who have for years never gone anywhere expect a specific sub-forum. There's sub-reddits and such that cater to specific interests. Right now Discord servers are the big trend for forming sub-cultures on the net.
    Last edited by Duskman; 09-23-2018 at 12:36 PM.