Default You're in thr world of mage the ascension: Choose!

Choose whose side your on, the Technocracy, or the Council of Nine Mystic Traditions-- you could also be either a orphan on your own or a group separate from either group.

If the traditions than which traditions? If the Technocracy, than which group in the Technocracy?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Given the MunchKING's Paradigm is very "Final Fantasy", I'm guessing he's not only Council, he's pretty Paradox heavy in no-time.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Astonishing Member

Personally I'd rather go independent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Choose whose side your on, the Technocracy, or the Council of Nine Mystic Traditions-- you could also be either a orphan on your own or a group separate from either group.

If the traditions than which traditions? If the Technocracy, than which group in the Technocracy?
    The Technocracy just seems too evil although I'm sure there are books showing the Traditions are just as bad but I also hate that the Nine Traditions are just thinly disguised character classes to pigeon-hole the players. In the context of playing a character, I might go for several of the traditions but, for myself, I'd go independent.
    Power with Girl is better.

As long I get Entropy spheresvIndo notbgive a ****, huddle my way to Vegas forvquick cash and that’s it.

Do not want to control or alter anyone’s paradigm. I just want for myself and my loved ones.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The Technocracy just seems too evil although I'm sure there are books showing the Traditions are just as bad but I also hate that the Nine Traditions are just thinly disguised character classes to pigeon-hole the players. In the context of playing a character, I might go for several of the traditions but, for myself, I'd go independent.
    Actually through a modern lense the Traditions look far more shady nowadays.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

If I'm actually STUCK there? Void Engineer. I'll spend my life in a science-fiction situation fighting evil entities from beyond, and never worry about having to actively get fully-involved in the war for reality. Also gives me the best chance of finding a way home.

Fun part is everyone else in the Technocracy looking at me askance. And chatting it up with the Deep Umbra Tradition-types (who aren't gung-ho about the war) I bump into.

Less-fun part is the Nephandi and worse, and the Tradition-types who are more gung-ho about the War.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

I'll admit to knowing little about magic, and also being lazy.

Can a brother get a synoposis about these doods?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    I'll admit to knowing little about magic, and also being lazy.

Can a brother get a synoposis about these doods?
    Traditions: You believe you're magic user. You actually warp reality within a specific paradigm with which you associate yourself (supertech, classical magic, witchcraft, whatever). Reality hates you and warps back. You think you're a rebel, out to save reality from getting boring. Really, you're an elitist who believes your view of reality is the correct one, which really doesn't make you different than your enemies, just stuck in a minority. The Technocracy is bad.

Technocracy: You believe you're using science. You actually warp reality within an even more specific paradigm than the above with which you associate yourself. However, since the masses believe in science (thanks to you controlling them), reality hates you less and tends not to warp you back so much...but you tend to be a touch more limited in your own applications than the Traditions. You believe you're protecting reality. Really, you're part of a group that has seized control of the masses and is leading them around by the nose (only it's possible that's starting to backfire). The Traditions are bad.

Each group is split further into various camps that have decided to associate with each other thanks to hating the opposing main group more than their 'allies'.

...Mage could be fun, but it was a whole lot of people being jerks as well. ^_^ Which sums up a lot of the Old World of Darkness, I suppose....
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-03-2018 at 04:16 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Traditions: You believe you're magic user. You actually warp reality within a specific paradigm with which you associate yourself (supertech, classical magic, witchcraft, whatever). Reality hates you and warps back. You think you're a rebel, out to save reality from getting boring. Really, you're an elitist who believes your view of reality is the correct one, which really doesn't make you different than your enemies, just stuck in a minority. The Technocracy is bad.

Technocracy: You believe you're using science. You actually warp reality within an even more specific paradigm than the above with which you associate yourself. However, since the masses believe in science (thanks to you controlling them), reality hates you less and tends not to warp you back so much...but you tend to be a touch more limited in your own applications than the Traditions. You believe you're protecting reality. Really, you're part of a group that has seized control of the masses and is leading them around by the nose (only it's possible that's starting to backfire). The Traditions are bad.

Each group is split further into various camps that have decided to associate with each other thanks to hating the opposing main group more than their 'allies'.

...Mage could be fun, but it was a whole lot of people being jerks as well. ^_^ Which sums up a lot of the Old World of Darkness, I suppose....
    I've "played the game" of trying to decide what tradition I would fit into.

Virtual Adepts? Well, Correspondence, their main thing, is my favorite of the powers, but just because I use a computer doesn't mean I am an expert on them.

Euthanatos? Most people play them as psychopaths so a serious one could be interesting but no.

Order of Hermes? Argh. Math. No.

Verbena? Could work but too much the stock modern neo-pagan concept.

Sons of the Ether? Oh yeah. Doesn't really feel like magic and bad if you get a games master who insists he really understands how their magic works and you don't.

Mind? No. Did martial arts. Don't want to play one, even if this could be a great chance to play Kwai Chang Caine.

Celestial Chorus? The religious approach. No thanks.

Dreamspeakers? Could be interesting but realistically you'd have to be raised in a primitive society for that to be believable.

Cult of Ecstacy? Like the time manipulation though kind of annoying that you can't travel into the past.

Basically, character classes that try to pigeon hole you. That's probably why the Orphans seemed to be the most popular choice in some of the games I was in.
    Power with Girl is better.