Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 132
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,894

    Default Will the real Master of Kung Fu please stand up?

    So i read the Marvel December solicits and the solicitation of Iron Fist is confusing to me.
    The solicit says :
    TYPHOID FEVER: IRON FIST #1
    * Typhoid Mary is stronger than ever, and Spider-Man and the X-Men know that better than anyone as they've been forced to fight among themselves.
    * As her powers grow stronger, it's only a matter of time before Typhoid Mary turns Manhattan into her own personal playground -- if not her own personal ashtray.
    * Luckily, IRON FIST is in town and willing to lend a hand...er...fist. But will the Master of Kung Fu be able to stop the flames from spreading, or will he just add fuel to the fire?

    The bolded phrase is what is confusing to me.
    Because to me itīs Shang Chi that is the Master of Kung Fu,it was even in the title of the comic book of Shang Chi.



    So to read that Iron Fist solicitation is confusing because of that to me.
    Is it a Hyperbole of the solicit?And Shang Chi is still Master of Kung Fu?
    Iron Fist is actually a master of Kung Fu as Shang Chi?I know that by Shang Chi not having powers makes him actually a better Master of Kung Fu,because Danny powers help him being a master of Kung Fu.
    Or is it because Shang Chi have been out of action (except the stories of Avengers and Spider-Man that had the character recently) that made the title move to Iron Fist?

    So many questions and so few answers due a solicitation.
    Any opinions about this are welcome because i for sure donīt know if Iron Fist have been called Master of Kung Fu before that solicitation.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,422

    Default

    No the real master of Kung Fu is:

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    It sounds like the guy writing the solicits got confused. Danny is a master of kung fu, but Shang Chi's tag-line has always been Master of Kung Fu; they should have gone with the Living Weapon.

    Edit:
    Iron Fist is actually a master of Kung Fu as Shang Chi?I know that by Shang Chi not having powers makes him actually a better Master of Kung Fu,because Danny powers help him being a master of Kung Fu.
    I don't think there's any reason to be throwing shade. Danny became a master of martial arts before he gained the Iron Fist power, and many of his fights have been won without its use. Let's not turn a stupid advertising snafu into a pissing contest.
    Last edited by Panic; 09-21-2018 at 02:00 AM.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    I agree with Panic. Besides that ...Master of Kung-FU has always been just a title/tagline for the character. Sorta like the "Invincible" Ironman or the "Unbeatable" Squirrel Girl or even the "Immortal" Iron Fist. There just titles. Based off of our collective comic reading we know these "titles" aren't facts by any measure but they are fun to add to a code name for more pazaz .
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    9,194

    Default

    And where would characters like Karnak nd Mantis fit here?

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Neither of them practice kung fu, as in the umbrella term for Chinese martial arts. For that matter, I'm not sure you should count the martial arts of K'un-L'un as kung fu as they are of alien origin. Mantis was versed in the alien martial arts of the Kree Priests of Pama, and Karnak has his own Inhuman style.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,761

    Default

    Shang-Chi is the Master of Kung Fu. The person writing the solicit made a mistake. It's probably not malicious or a conspiracy, though, just an error.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,209

    Default

    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it's a serious attempt to remove Shang Chi's position. It's just a random line in the solicits.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It sounds like the guy writing the solicits got confused. Danny is a master of kung fu, but Shang Chi's tag-line has always been Master of Kung Fu; they should have gone with the Living Weapon.

    Edit:

    I don't think there's any reason to be throwing shade. Danny became a master of martial arts before he gained the Iron Fist power, and many of his fights have been won without its use. Let's not turn a stupid advertising snafu into a pissing contest.
    I donīt see how a simple observation could be me throwing shade to Danny.
    Just because i see Shang Chi as the Master of Kung Fu and not Danny, does not mean i think Danny is a bad character in any way.I just think Shang Chi have been seen as the Master of Kung Fu in the Marvel continuity.
    Sure Danny became a master of martial arts before getting the Iron Fist powers from the Dragon.But context is important.He became a master of Kung Fu in another dimension that had a society that was all about Kung Fu.Plus all the victories of Danny that have been told in comic books were after he got the Iron Fist powers and not during the training he had in Kún Lun.
    So comparing that to Shang Chi that in his main series never got any powers but was just a master in Kung Fu makes him a better Master of Kung Fu to me.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I agree with Panic. Besides that ...Master of Kung-FU has always been just a title/tagline for the character. Sorta like the "Invincible" Ironman or the "Unbeatable" Squirrel Girl or even the "Immortal" Iron Fist. There just titles. Based off of our collective comic reading we know these "titles" aren't facts by any measure but they are fun to add to a code name for more pazaz .
    Could be just me.
    But the way the title of Master Kung Fu were in more bolded letters in the title in front of the other title of the Shang Chi comic book that was the Hands of Shang Chi made that title to me as more literal that tag lines of other comic books as Invincible Iron Man,that had the tag line Invincible before the name of the character.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Shang-Chi is the Master of Kung Fu. The person writing the solicit made a mistake. It's probably not malicious or a conspiracy, though, just an error.
    I thought that as well.
    But i am not much of a reader of Iron Fist comic books,so i was wondering if Danny got the title of Master of Kung Fu in a story that i had not read.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Could be just me.
    But the way the title of Master Kung Fu were in more bolded letters in the title in front of the other title of the Shang Chi comic book that was the Hands of Shang Chi made that title to me as more literal that tag lines of other comic books as Invincible Iron Man,that had the tag line Invincible before the name of the character.
    However, no in universe has ever really referred to him that way. Characters have throw their hats in the ring as who they thought was better than the other but it has yet to be proven which was actually better. But if you get technical...when you actually look at their history Danny has more matches against other heroes where he was either tied or won out against. Shang doesn't have that.

    The overall point is, I wouldn't be to worried about it. It's not like that title is going to last on Iron Fist book. I'm certain it's just a sales gimmick or away to into another Iron Fist book so they can use the "Immortal" tag-line there. Now that is what I'm worried about because the "House of Ideas" has been more predictable then ever and if that is the case I probably wont like the end result.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    However, no in universe has ever really referred to him that way. Characters have throw their hats in the ring as who they thought was better than the other but it has yet to be proven which was actually better. But if you get technical...when you actually look at their history Danny has more matches against other heroes where he was either tied or won out against. Shang doesn't have that.

    The overall point is, I wouldn't be to worried about it. It's not like that title is going to last on Iron Fist book. I'm certain it's just a sales gimmick or away to into another Iron Fist book so they can use the "Immortal" tag-line there. Now that is what I'm worried about because the "House of Ideas" has been more predictable then ever and if that is the case I probably wont like the end result.
    You are right,in universe Shang Chi never refered to himself as Master of Kung Fu.But that is because of the narrative of the stories.And being writen as somebody humble and not having teaching Kung Fu it would be off character to see Shang Chi calling himself Master of Kung Fu.
    But having said that,to me as a reader,itīs Shang Chi that should be seen as Master of Kung Fu.
    Iron Fist victories are great and all that,but lets not forget that while Iron Fist defeated powerfull villains he did that with the Iron Fist super powers while Shang Chi in his series never had powers and was still the main character of a series that lasted over 100 stories in which he defeated from Villains,the several Fu Manchu armies and Fu Manchu.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    You are right,in universe Shang Chi never refered to himself as Master of Kung Fu.But that is because of the narrative of the stories.And being writen as somebody humble and not having teaching Kung Fu it would be off character to see Shang Chi calling himself Master of Kung Fu.
    But having said that,to me as a reader,itīs Shang Chi that should be seen as Master of Kung Fu.
    Iron Fist victories are great and all that,but lets not forget that while Iron Fist defeated powerfull villains he did that with the Iron Fist super powers while Shang Chi in his series never had powers and was still the main character of a series that lasted over 100 stories in which he defeated from Villains,the several Fu Manchu armies and Fu Manchu.
    Recently, Shang has recieved some powers but those may or may not have been retcon. But I see your point.

    I just think that you assessment of Shang can't be proven though. Your major point is that Iron Fist has "powers" but for a lot of Iron Fist history has him only using the iron fist as a last resort in battle. Or against foes who a normal human would never be able to punch out anyway. (I'm thinking Dragons, Hulks, Giant Fire Demons here...) Not only that but were both martial artist so we know that mastery is not one individual aspect of the person. Danny Rand holding the iron fist doesn't immediately knock him out being the best or being tied with the best.

    As we are told a many of time in the lore the iron fist is just a tool to be mastered by the wielder.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 10-21-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  15. #15
    The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marvel Studios
    Posts
    13,252

    Default

    I find the Rising and Advancing Spirit's polite speaking and being humble, so very, very likable!
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •