Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Mr. Negative - a PS4 Influence

Hey,

I've been playing through the PS4 Spider-Man game (fun game! frustrating at times, because I'm not a "gamer"), and I've really taken a liking to the character Martin Li, aka Mr. Negative.

I looked up his appearances, and he's appeared more often than I had imagined.

Would anyone kindly recommend any particular issue(s) or story-arcs that features him? Preferably something in trade, but any suggestions are welcome.

Certainly!

His first appearance arc was pretty good: "Brand New Day" in ASM #546-548.

"New Ways to Die" in ASM #568-573

"Mysterioso" ASM #618-620

"Out for Blood" ASM #621

"The Return of Anti-Venom" ASM #663-664

Dark Reign: Mister Negative, which is a trade miniseries that focuses on him.

Fair warning though, his character is a little different than the game!

BANNED

Many thanks. I will see what I can collect up.

Mind PM'ing me (to avoid spoilers for anyone not playing the game) what you feel are the biggest differences in the character between the two mediums? I suspect a difference in origin, but that's almost a given.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Mind PM'ing me (to avoid spoilers for anyone not playing the game) what you feel are the biggest differences in the character between the two mediums? I suspect a difference in origin, but that's almost a given.
    Don't forget Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4 #6-8 during the "Worldwide" period, along with Spider-Island: Cloak and Dagger #1-3, which also features him as an antagonist and ties him more explicitly to Cloak and Dagger's origin story. Come to think of it, ASM Vol. 4 #6-8 is also a Cloak and Dagger story, featuring them as antagonists under Mister Negative's influence/control, a situation that is thankfully reversed by the end of it. Oh, and there's the Shadowland: Spider-Man one-shot, where Spider-Man and Shang-Chi team up to fight Mister Negative during the Shadowland event and Shang-Chi is exposed to Mister Negative's corrupting touch.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 09-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I don't know about digital copies, but physical copies of the game come with a code for one month (I believe) free of Marvel Unlimited. You could read probably all of the suggested issues there.

All-New Member

Mr. Negative is a fantastic villain. As someone who got into a ton of message board fights here over the character when he was introduced, I have to take a moment to respond to his newfound high profile.

[CaptainHoltVoice]Vindication!!![/CaptainHoltVoice]

There's some reddit petition for him to get his own film.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09...egative-movie/

I do think he makes sense as a future villain, if they ever want to do a story about a crime boss, but he shouldn't get his own film (neither should Kraven, for that matter.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I do think he makes sense as a future villain, if they ever want to do a story about a crime boss, but he shouldn't get his own film (neither should Kraven, for that matter.)
    He does have a compelling story, and it might be somewhat fresher than just using Silvermane, Tombstone, or even Hammerhead, though those three could show up as "old guard" rivals to Mister Negative.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Well, at the rate Sony is going it's not too out-of-the-box for them .

But with the way they're developing MCU Spider-Man, I'm not sure I see him fighting a crime boss villain anytime soon (although I guess MCU Vulture was crime boss-ish).
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He does have a compelling story, and it might be somewhat fresher than just using Silvermane, Tombstone, or even Hammerhead, though those three could show up as "old guard" rivals to Mister Negative.
    I think he definitely has a very intriguing premise, although I also think the game was the first time it was ever utilized really effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Mr. Negative makes some sense as the bad guy since he's got the power to go toe to toe with Spider-Man.

Hammerhead might be tough to pull off in live action, since he's more of a cartoon. With Tombstone, there are the landmines of making one of the few albino characters in pop culture a villain.

Silvermane may seem out of place with MCU Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, at the rate Sony is going it's not too out-of-the-box for them .

But with the way they're developing MCU Spider-Man, I'm not sure I see him fighting a crime boss villain anytime soon (although I guess MCU Vulture was crime boss-ish).

I think he definitely has a very intriguing premise, although I also think the game was the first time it was ever utilized really effectively.
    This may be a fair point.

The MCU teenage Spider-Man might be too out of his element tackling a crime boss. They'd also need some kind of connection for Peter Parker.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The MCU teenage Spider-Man might be too out of his element tackling a crime boss. They'd also need some kind of connection for Peter Parker.
    What would you see him tackling then?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    What would you see him tackling then?
    It would have to be something that has a logical link to a kid from high school, and/ or the wider Marvel Universe.

At the moment, the Daily Bugle hasn't even become part of this Spidey's world.

With Homecoming, a blue collar guy who hated Stark was a sensible choice for the bad guy, and they come up with a good connection between him and Peter.

The Alien Costume and Venom would have made sense. Kraven can work, just to put a young hero in the position of dealing with a madman who can't be reasoned with/ who just wants him dead. Unfortunately, both of these guys are getting their own solo films.

Dr. Octopus could work, as someone who is much more dangerous than Peter expected, and pushes him to his limits.

I'll note it may be possible to do a crime story. It's just going to have a different energy to it, as a young hero gets involved in stuff far beyond his expertise. The second Ultimate Spider-Man comic story gave Peter a good reason to go after a crime boss, with his ties to Ben's killer. That would also be a good way to organically bring Uncle Ben into the films. Mr. Negative's connection to Aunt May could also work for a film. My main point was that it's a different type of story when Peter Parker is a photographer with years of experiencing covering crime scenes, as opposed to a smart, slightly sheltered teenager.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Pete's dealing with crime families tend to start small. Foil a few robberies, do this that and the other thing, next thing he knows Tombstone and Silvermane are trying to give him cement overshoes....

Hammerhead might be tough to pull off in live action, since he's more of a cartoon. With Tombstone, there are the landmines of making one of the few albino characters in pop culture a villain.
    I could see someone like Ultimate Hammerhead look-wise but with 616's effectiveness working well enough.

Tobias Whale was received fairly well in Black Lightning. I don't think people would care about Tombstone being albino and a villain if his characterization and depiction was on-point and not stereotypical.
    Silvermane may seem out of place with MCU Spidey.
    It depends how you handle him. He could probably be the MCU Kingpin since they can't actually use Netflix Kingpin.
    This may be a fair point.

I don't think a crime boss villain has to have some kind of connection to Spider-Man considering, as a Superhero vigilante, he is liable to run afoul of organized crime.

He's just probably too busy working with the Avengers or some kind of non-traditional Spider-Man setting to deal with that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could see someone like Ultimate Hammerhead look-wise but with 616's effectiveness working well enough.

Tobias Whale was received fairly well in Black Lightning. I don't think people would care about Tombstone being albino and a villain if his characterization and depiction was on-point and not stereotypical.

It depends how you handle him. He could probably be the MCU Kingpin since they can't actually use Netflix Kingpin.

I don't think a crime boss villain has to have some kind of connection to Spider-Man considering, as a Superhero vigilante, he is liable to run afoul of organized crime.

He's just probably too busy working with the Avengers or some kind of non-traditional Spider-Man setting to deal with that kind of stuff.
    In a two hour film, there would still need to be some kind of story on the Peter Parker side of things that ties into Spider-Man's adventures. That's where the connection would be.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets