Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Opinions on Shazam/Stargirl

I’ll admit, I’m not too familiar with Stargirl’s character, but just about everything Billy/Courtney I’ve seen is adorable. Currently, I’d like to see them back together.

So, I have two questions:

1. What do you think of this pairing?
    2. What should I read/watch to learn more about Stargirl?

P.S. I have read her wiki, so I’m talking more books.

I feel like this paring only happened due to the special interest Geoff Johns has in both characters. That being said it's unlikely they'll be able to have an official relationship if JSA is anything to go by. Billy would have to out himself as Shazam which would cause all sorts of problems. At any rate that storyline is likely to be far off considering the insular nature of the new Shazam run.

That's always been a problem I've had with the character previously. The Shazam/Family live in their own world, he's around, but never really involved in the major DC events.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Any romantic relationship with Captain Marvel is pretty weird because of his unique situation.

If we're just looking at Billy and Courtney, I think they'd work in that steady high school sweethearts way. The problem is get becomes a grown man and she's still just a ten, and eventually DC editorial will try to mine that for creep factor to make it "interesting." The way it was handled in JSA was about as good as you'll get right now, where the elder statesmen of the team told him to knock it off because they didn't know he was a kid. If he told them, well, that would make it a more difficult decision but it would end the same.

You can't really have it both ways with Billy until he's an adult himself.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-21-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Any romantic relationship with Captain Marvel is pretty weird because of his unique situation.

If we're just looking at Billy and Courtney, I think they'd work in that steady high school sweethearts way. The problem is get becomes a grown man and she's still just a ten, and eventually DC editorial will try to mine that for creep factor to make it "interesting." The way it was handled in JSA was about as good as you'll get right now, where the elder statesmen of the team told him to knock it off because they didn't know he was a kid. If he told them, well, that would make it a more difficult decision but it would end the same.

You can't really have it both ways with Billy until he's an adult himself.
    Personally, I wouldn’t want to see Billy with any romantic relationship unless he was at least 16, so I’m not thinking that they’re little kids.

I’d also want to avoid the awkwardness by not having them interact romantically while he’s Shazam. Maybe make it clear that Billy is Stargirl’s boyfriend, so that to the rest of the world it looks like a gender flipped case like Superman/Lois Lane, and only a few in the know realize Billy’s a hero in his own right. Could have the added humor when her villains try to use him as a bargaining chip.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 09-21-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Fantastic Member

I don't have a problem with it so long as her romantic interactions are with Billy not Captain Marvel or Shazam.

But there's something else you need to take into account. Billy is a much different person now than he was pre-Flashpoint. From what I've seen of him he's a little jerk most of the time.

Courtney was a brat in Stars & Stripe but for some reason it only made her more adorable, and she quickly grew beyond it.

Spectacular Member

Didn't Cap transform into Billy RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE JSA INCLUDING JAY? Why would there be a problem? Beast Boy dates. No one cares about that.

I don't think Billy Batson is a very shippable character. Doing so invites a lot of problems, but never more of them than when the kid he's dating knows and works with him as Captain Marvel. Maybe if they grew into an adult looking body as well, but Courtney, er, doesn't.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I’ll admit, I’m not too familiar with Stargirl’s character, but just about everything Billy/Courtney I’ve seen is adorable. Currently, I’d like to see them back together.

So, I have two questions:

1. What do you think of this pairing?
    2. What should I read/watch to learn more about Stargirl?

P.S. I have read her wiki, so I’m talking more books.
    Im going to answer your second question. She is one of my favorite DC characters!
    Her earliest appearances are in Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E by Geoff Johns. She’s a young spunky and slightly rebellious teenager.
    Her early stories in the book I mentioned are very entertaining, but my favorite appearances of her were in Geoff Johns JSA and later Justice Society of America.

She later appeared in the New 52’s Justice League United/ JL Canada but she didn’t have much of a role.

As for television appearances I would recommend, Justice League Action that used to come on Cartoon Network. She appeared quite a bit and most of the episodes can also be found on YouTube. She also appeared in season 2 episode 2 of Legends of Tomorrow. However, she didn’t have a large role.

In Season 9 or 10 of Smallville she had a great feature in the two episode story arc called Absolute Justice. I highly recommend those episodes.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 09-21-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I think it's an interesting concept, but it's a double edged sword.

There's potential to the idea of Billy dating someone his own age and the reactions you'll get out of people who don't know that Shazam is really just a kid. Done right, it can be a lot of fun as the other heroes get creeped out and Billy and Courtney try to keep things on the level without giving up Billy's identity.

But in the wrong writer's hands it'll just go full-on creep factor, and that won't help anyone. Additionally, you're trying to pair two characters from different IP's. As long as neither of them has a solo of their own and are both being handled in the same team by the same writer it's not really an issue, but we've seen with Black Panther-Storm and Superman-Wonder Woman that different editorial offices and writers and franchises create tons of problems and hurdles for the creators.

I like Courtney-Billy more than Courtney-Atom Smasher (he's way too old for her! Gross!) but I don't really think Billy or Courtney are characters who *demand* a love interest. Billy's barely a teenager and Courtney is barely old enough to drive, and I feel like trying to explore the love lives of kids that young is just an exercise in futility where either no one comes out looking good, or you don't truly capture all the various drama of teenaged dating.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I've loved the two together (even own the art of their breakup) and wish they'd get back together.

I think it's completely over thought since both should've easily understood why the two's flirtations might seem weird if no one knows Billy's Captain Marvel and vice versa. There wasn't anything stopping from the two being a couple and being smart enough to not flirt in public when hero-ing.

Ironically now it's a real problem since it's almost the reverse in that Courtney's been College age or thereabouts since the New 52 in the comics while Billy's still a kid (13?).

BANNED

I've seen crazier pairings....

Spectacular Member

1. I think they made a cute couple as Billy and Courtney. Before new 52, they were the same age and secretly dated (before jakeem snitched and jay garrick found out). Also, in STARS and STRIPES #4 their schools seem to have a rivalry but never met out of costume until the JSA issue. They have met a few times in new 52 but have had few interaction. I think in order for them to date they should be the same age (obviously) and i guess they could try the sneaking around again and it would depend on the writer if they get caught or not.

2.I would recommend you to read:
    STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E.S: #1-#13

JSA V1 (1999): #2-#3,#9, #13-#15, #16-#17, #20, #21,#26, #27,#29, #32,#40,#41,#45-#51,#52,#54,#55,#59-#62,#63-#65,#67-#72, #81(Read JSA Allstars #4 before) and #83-#87

Impulse #61

JSA Allstars: #4 and #8

Young Justice:Sins of Youth

Sins of Youth:Starwoman and the Jsa,Jr #1

JSA Classified: #5,#6,#7, #14-16

Supergirl V5 #1

Teen Titans #63

Batgirl V3 #23

Justice Society of America:#1-#4,#6-#7,#9,#12-15,#23-25,#26 and #29-#33
    Last edited by SelinaK12; 09-24-2018 at 10:21 PM.

The easiest way to run it is that Billy as a teen is interested in Stargirl because their both the same age and level of maturity. Captain Marvel on the otherhand has the wisdom of Solomon making him more adult like and as such he finds her immature, boring and not particularly romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    1. I think they made a cute couple as Billy and Courtney. Before new 52, they were the same age and secretly dated (before jakeem snitched and jay garrick found out). Also, in STARS and STRIPES #4 their schools seem to have a rivalry but never met out of costume until the JSA issue. They have met a few times in new 52 but have had few interaction. I think in order for them to date they should be the same age (obviously) and i guess they could try the sneaking around again and it would depend on the writer if they get caught or not.

2.I would recommend you to read:
    STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E.S: #1-#13

JSA V1 (1999): #2-#3,#9, #13-#15, #16-#17, #20, #21,#26, #27,#29, #32,#40,#41,#45-#51,#52,#54,#55,#59-#62,#63-#65,#67-#72, #81(Read JSA Allstars #4 before) and #83-#87

Impulse #61

JSA Allstars: #4 and #8

Young Justice:Sins of Youth

Sins of Youth:Starwoman and the Jsa,Jr #1

JSA Classified: #5,#6,#7, #14-16

Supergirl V5 #1

Teen Titans #63

Batgirl V3 #23

Justice Society of America:#1-#4,#6-#7,#9,#12-15,#23-25,#26 and #29-#33
    I remember that and the overtones that they didn't know Captain Marvel was really her age and his willingness to leave the JSA and her just not to be treated as a kid.