Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 93
  1. #46
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It is a fair point that should be brought up more often in the comics. Guggs actually kinda did a good job of it in his last issue. I mean, the POC/sexuality/religious metaphor kinda breaks down when you have individuals, teenagers, waking up with enough power to destroy whole cities, if not whole countries/continents/planets/realities, with a sneeze/blink/thought.
    He kinda fumbles the bag too because the doctor making that wonderful point was, for some reason, vilified by the other doctor. Said doctor that hated mutants wanted the X-Men to "prove" that they were the good guys, as if minorities need to prove themselves to the privileged class in exchange for rights and freedoms.

  2. #47
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I could see a character like that existing on the X-Men, tbh. That cop from The Gifted is somewhat like that, and though I can't personally sympathize with him, I can understand he's more of a grey character than actual evil. But as a bigoted news anchor? Nope. That would give a terrible message, considering this book is about relating current themes to the minorty metaphor. The one we see on this book is a perfect analogy to what is happening in today's world.
    Could you elaborate? I don't want any misunderstandings.

    I will say that I think the idea would be a little diminished if it was expressed by an X-Man or someone friendly to them. It's more potent if it comes from someone that the X-Men understand isn't an ally in the strictest sense but also isn't an enemy.
    Last edited by Hizashi; 09-22-2018 at 10:37 PM.

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I'm with you guys. From time to time, someone(from both sides) needs to bring up the issue that having a different skin colour or sexuality and having uncontrollable eye blast that literally kill you with a glance are two very different things.
    Thanks, that's basically all I was trying to say.

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon View Post
    He kinda fumbles the bag too because the doctor making that wonderful point was, for some reason, vilified by the other doctor. Said doctor that hated mutants wanted the X-Men to "prove" that they were the good guys, as if minorities need to prove themselves to the privileged class in exchange for rights and freedoms.
    But couldn't that be the limitation of viewing the X-Men strictly through a minority-metaphor-lens?

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon View Post
    He kinda fumbles the bag too because the doctor making that wonderful point was, for some reason, vilified by the other doctor. Said doctor that hated mutants wanted the X-Men to "prove" that they were the good guys, as if minorities need to prove themselves to the privileged class in exchange for rights and freedoms.
    I did say 'kinda'. Ultimately though, that's pretty much been the X-Men's MO the whole time; "Our good deeds make up for any and all bad deeds from mutantkind".
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  6. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    But couldn't that be the limitation of viewing the X-Men strictly through a minority-metaphor-lens?
    It is. And while I like a lot of the stuff which comes from the 'other' metaphor, this is precisely where it breaks down.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It is. And while I like a lot of the stuff which comes from the 'other' metaphor, this is precisely where it breaks down.
    Thanks for that, I appreciate that some people can see my logic.

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Thanks for that, I appreciate that some people can see my logic.
    Certainly. It is a valid point, and often overlooked in the narrative. Just like Prof X isn't MLK, and Magneto isn't Malcolm X. Sloppy metaphors like that become counterproductive and lessen the real world struggles. Superpowered mutants are quite distinct from real world marginalized groups, even if the comics/characters can be a welcomed power fantasy for those same groups.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  9. #54
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,404

    Default

    See this is my issue with Taylor's writing. It is in no where realistic even if he's attenpted to mimic the real world. That new anchor would never call out her colleague over mutant hysteria or terrorism. Why you ask well because those 5 or 6 entities that own most US corporate media are funded in part by the military industrial complex. Who funds itself by war and strife.

    Secondly if you're going by the book itself and ignore real life. They have that guy's hand X-23 sliced off to discredit the Red team.

  10. #55
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Secondly if you're going by the book itself and ignore real life. They have that guy's hand X-23 sliced off to discredit the Red team.
    Here's my problem with this, if it was Logan, and he took of arm or killed him instead of a few fingers like her you'd be ok with it(hell Logan could be consider a mass murder if you pick your words right and no one used that agnist the xmen). And also the guy was illegally imprisoning someone and had sentinel on call, I'm pretty sure hes not going to win favors.

  11. #56
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Here's my problem with this, if it was Logan, and he took of arm or killed him instead of a few fingers like her you'd be ok with it(hell Logan could be consider a mass murder if you pick your words right and no one used that agnist the xmen). And also the guy was illegally imprisoning someone and had sentinel on call, I'm pretty sure hes not going to win favors.
    No i would not be okay with it within the context of the story. Additionally, if it was Logan it would have come back to bite him in the ass like it did when he sliced up the Hellfire Club soldiers who became the reavers. As far as he is concerned he was imprisoning a terrorist. And the X-Men invaded a sovereign nation. They even made not of the fact they don't want to be detected because their presence in India was illegal. So the defense you're presenting is moot. As far as India and it's legal system goes illegally imprisoning someone for a petty crime is easily done. And no one bats an eye. Especially with it's current facist government and if you happen to be poor. And India's allies won't bat an eye. So yeah realistically that dude should be able to go on TV and spin the event to his favor

  12. #57
    Perfectly Safe Penguin ariwl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Certainly. It is a valid point, and often overlooked in the narrative. Just like Prof X isn't MLK, and Magneto isn't Malcolm X. Sloppy metaphors like that become counterproductive and lessen the real world struggles. Superpowered mutants are quite distinct from real world marginalized groups, even if the comics/characters can be a welcomed power fantasy for those same groups.
    This is something I've really wished the books would address for a long time, as I can't think of a single story that's seriously tackled it. People are prone to irrational fears out of innate sense of self-preservation. A fear of spiders is fairly common even though only a minute percentage of them are actually dangerous to humans for example.

    When you get to real life strife between groups the circumstances vary wildly depending on many factors, but in countries like America, the fear is less about safety than it is fear of losing a societal status-quo. But a fear of mutants is much more primal. Most mutants aren't Magneto level powerful, but just like spiders, that doesn't matter to humans.

    Also, one other area the metaphor kinda stumbles: most people who read the X-Men would think it would be awesome to have mutant powers provided they got one of the fun ones. That doesn't seem like a realistic mindset to have in regards to addressing marginalized groups.
    Last edited by ariwl1; 09-23-2018 at 09:04 AM.

  13. #58
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Fantasy Free Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Hueco Mundo ~
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I don't think she's manipulating her, I think she is just fed up with her co-host crap. And he was acting like a jackass. It's a long way until reaches kitty's level of hypocrisy
    Maybe I understood what you said wrongly, but the lady anchor was indeed being manipulated by a Telepath, reason why her speech bubbles had the characteristic lines used on telepathic communications.


    That being said, I don't mind, it was hilarious.
    "I wish I could live life five times over!
    Then Id be born in five different places,
    and Id stuff myself with different food from around the world.
    Id live five different lives with five different occupations...
    and then, for those five times...
    Id fall in love with the same person...
    "


    - Orihime Inoue

  14. #59
    Perfectly Safe Penguin ariwl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Maybe I understood what you said wrongly, but the lady anchor was indeed being manipulated by a Telepath, reason why her speech bubbles had the characteristic lines used on telepathic communications.


    That being said, I don't mind, it was hilarious.
    But those speech bubbles had hard edges and both broadcastors had them. It shows that we're meant to be hearing them through technological means. When Jean's using her telepathy it's got a cloudy look to it.

    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 10.59.16 AM.jpg

  15. #60
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Somewhere in Time & Space
    Posts
    6,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I'm with you guys. From time to time, someone(from both sides) needs to bring up the issue that having a different skin colour or sexuality and having uncontrollable eye blast that literally kill you with a glance are two very different things.
    Honestly a Morlock would be a good character to do that most don't have fancy powers they just look different. Imagine being a Morlock forced to live in the sewers because the public fear mutants like the X-Men who have superpowers and to add salt to the wound many X-Men can pass for Flatline Humans 90's term didn't want to see "normal" seemed wrong because what's normal?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •