Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 93
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I've raised this issue before, but I think they're poorly written and barely serve a purpose. They eat up page(s) and are seemingly little more than caricatures of the left and right - why can't we get a single "anti" mutant character who isn't some genocidal maniac? There can't be someone who says "Mutants are dangerous, and while that does not mean that we should discriminate against them, there need to be measures to address the real threat to safety that they pose to both themselves and the public"? Someone who is uncomfortable with mutants, maybe even fears them, and refuses to work with the X-Men but absolutely rejects anyone who would harm innocent mutants?

    Instead, all we get is Ms. You-are-always-irrational and Mr. All-mutants-are-evil?
    Maybe a more balanced view isn’t portrayed in the comics because they don’t really happen much in real life either. At least not from people with the power / privilege / opportunity to talk about it or make the needed changes. So maybe it’s not an issue with the comic but with actual real life.

    Like in elections, especially in primaries in the United States, people who try to present views that acknowledge both sides of a conflict are quickly weeded out of the primary due to their respective electorate base.
    Last edited by Grey; 09-23-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Can't believe Jean is even manipulating news anchors into supporting her now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Maybe I understood what you said wrongly, but the lady anchor was indeed being manipulated by a Telepath, reason why her speech bubbles had the characteristic lines used on telepathic communications.


    That being said, I don't mind, it was hilarious.
    Both broadcasters have the same bubble. I’m not seeing anything suggesting jean is manipulating any of this conversation telepathically. Or am I missing something?

    The conics win again at being subjective personality tests for readers.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Maybe a more balanced view isn’t portrayed in the comics because they don’t really happen much in real life either. At least not from people with the power / privilege / opportunity to talk about it or make the needed changes. So maybe it’s not an issue with the comic but with actual real life.

    Like in elections, especially in primaries in the United States, people who try to present views that acknowledge both sides of a conflict are quickly weeded out of the primary due to their respective electorate base.
    I disagree that they don't happen much in real life. I suppose it depends where one lives and what sort of media is consumed, but there is balanced commentary out there.

    As for US elections, that's really only a surface problem for people who are party loyalist; basically, as long as a candidate is saying the right things, they'll get a vote, but there are people who are willing to dig in deeper in order to assess a situation. I'm American (of Hispanic descent if that matters) myself, and there are people all along the political spectrum that I like.

    What exactly is Taylor saying with this story? Where is he going? The pacing is really hurting whatever theme or message should be there.

  4. #64
    Hi, Sage. nandes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Both broadcasters have the same bubble. I’m not seeing anything suggesting jean is manipulating any of this conversation telepathically. Or am I missing something?

    The conics win again at being subjective personality tests for readers.
    I was just joking along with the whole "Jean's acting unethical again!" stuff that seems to happen in every thread about X-Men Red, idk about Fantasy Free Me

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    I was just joking along with the whole "Jean's acting unethical again!" stuff that seems to happen in every thread about X-Men Red, idk about Fantasy Free Me
    Oh I see, my apologies. In that case what you said is very funny =p
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    See this is my issue with Taylor's writing. It is in no where realistic even if he's attenpted to mimic the real world. That new anchor would never call out her colleague over mutant hysteria or terrorism. Why you ask well because those 5 or 6 entities that own most US corporate media are funded in part by the military industrial complex. Who funds itself by war and strife.

    Secondly if you're going by the book itself and ignore real life. They have that guy's hand X-23 sliced off to discredit the Red team.

    Didn't that same guy send a signal/make a call to a known mutant killing machine, causing Laura to respond in kind by removing a finger? All of this of course after said organization had illegally kidnapped Trinary, the whole reason Team Red was there in the first place.

  7. #67
    Astonishing Member Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I disagree that they don't happen much in real life. I suppose it depends where one lives and what sort of media is consumed, but there is balanced commentary out there.

    As for US elections, that's really only a surface problem for people who are party loyalist; basically, as long as a candidate is saying the right things, they'll get a vote, but there are people who are willing to dig in deeper in order to assess a situation. I'm American (of Hispanic descent if that matters) myself, and there are people all along the political spectrum that I like.

    What exactly is Taylor saying with this story? Where is he going? The pacing is really hurting whatever theme or message should be there.
    Yea maybe it’s due to where I’m from but we will have to agree to disagree about the amount of balanced commentary. I hear it a lot from more ordinary people but when it comes to people in power, those with appropriate platforms, or those who make decisions on policy, I unfortunately don’t experience that balance often.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

  8. #68
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Fantasy Free Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Hueco Mundo ~
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    But those speech bubbles had hard edges and both broadcastors had them. It shows that we're meant to be hearing them through technological means. When Jean's using her telepathy it's got a cloudy look to it.

    Attachment 71202
    Yeah you're right, I read the preview super quickly and completely confused the speech bubble, while also ignoring the male anchor ones.
    "I wish I could live life five times over!
    Then Id be born in five different places,
    and Id stuff myself with different food from around the world.
    Id live five different lives with five different occupations...
    and then, for those five times...
    Id fall in love with the same person...
    "


    - Orihime Inoue

  9. #69
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yea maybe it’s due to where I’m from but we will have to agree to disagree about the amount of balanced commentary. I hear it a lot from more ordinary people but when it comes to people in power, those with appropriate platforms, or those who make decisions on policy, I unfortunately don’t experience that balance often.
    Haha, I can't really argue with you on this one. That still doesn't change my dislike of Taylor's use of those characters, he isn't doing anything interesting as far as I'm concerned.

  10. #70
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It is a fair point that should be brought up more often in the comics. Guggs actually kinda did a good job of it in his last issue. I mean, the POC/sexuality/religious metaphor kinda breaks down when you have individuals, teenagers, waking up with enough power to destroy whole cities, if not whole countries/continents/planets/realities, with a sneeze/blink/thought.
    I read a news article the other day. One man shot and killed another...over a mattress they found in a dumpster.

    Now let's just escalate that situation with mutant powers.

  11. #71
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Didn't that same guy send a signal/make a call to a known mutant killing machine, causing Laura to respond in kind by removing a finger? All of this of course after said organization had illegally kidnapped Trinary, the whole reason Team Red was there in the first place.
    She sliced his hand before that happened and she removed multiple fingers. Secondly, the X-Men were illegally operating in India which was noted and were mind controlling him as their puppet. And that man has close ties with the Indian government whose police force have detained people for less.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Latveria
    Posts
    2,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Both broadcasters have the same bubble. I’m not seeing anything suggesting jean is manipulating any of this conversation telepathically. Or am I missing something?

    The conics win again at being subjective personality tests for readers.
    The bubbles are because it's through a TV.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

  13. #73

    Default

    Really hope Taylor keeps up the pace.

  14. #74
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShepardOakenshieldPrime View Post
    Really hope Taylor keeps up the pace.
    The pacing has really bothered me personally, it feels like he should've been able to accomplish everything he's done in fewer issues.

  15. #75
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    The pacing has really bothered me personally, it feels like he should've been able to accomplish everything he's done in fewer issues.
    You've been tainted by the Resurrection bi-monthly rush. This (red) is how comics used to be. There's actual substance to the story and it comes out monthly. I think we're used to there being more books of the same quality distract our attention.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •