Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Justice League Dark #3 Preview

https://www.newsarama.com/41928-wond...review.html#s1

I'm glad we are getting some Zatanna focus. Because for a character that's been around since the 60s we still know very little about her

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Awesome. Zatanna was the main reason I started picking this up since she is one of my favorites.
    But now I pick it up since it's the best comic out there now. Great art, tons of interesting plot and no decompression.

Can't wait for this next week.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Preview looks really nice. I've been enjoying this series so far

Mighty Member

Looks great and more Zatanna is always good(especially in regards of her backstory), but JL Dark was anyways one of the best recent surprises(i thought it would be just decent, but the first tow issues were absolutely great) so far.

I just finished reading the first two issues and I was very impressed.
    Looking forward to #3.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Just curious to know, but was I the only one who's heartstrings tugged at seeing poor Khalid trapped in the art on that vase?

As someone who followed his Doctor Fate book, to see prodigious Khalid go from being the new-age Doctor Fate to being stuck, powerless, as Nabu's prisoner because he would be the hero he had been guided (and at times pushed) to be and interfere with Nabu's plans otherwise is really an unfortunate sight.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Just curious to know, but was I the only one who's heartstrings tugged at seeing poor Khalid trapped in the art on that vase?

As someone who followed his Doctor Fate book, to see prodigious Khalid go from being the new-age Doctor Fate to being stuck, powerless, as Nabu's prisoner because he would be the hero he had been guided (and at times pushed) to be and interfere with Nabu's plans otherwise is really an unfortunate sight.
    I don't think we've seen the last of him, or Kent.
    I have to say that it is a very interesting twist on Dr. Fate. Nabu is long overdue for a bit of a focus.

So far, I'm really liking Tynion's exploration of DC's mystical side.
    He's clearly done his homework. The flashback to American Gothic is about where I got hooked.
    It feels like a definitive run in the making, simply because of the carefully done exposition and strong characterization.

And the art is a great complement to the story. Fits perfectly.

Another really solid issue. I like how Man-Bat is shown caring for both Detective Chimp and Khalid Nassour, and the artwork and visual storytelling is top-notch. They also did a solid test firing of the Chekhov's gun that had been placed on the mantlepiece earlier. I also like the way Tynion segues the opening flashback into the main narrative. Not as well done as the one in the previous issue, but still good.

Only issue is that Diana calls herself "I am Diana, Princess of Themyscira, daughter of Zeus". It undermines the core of her character and belittles the importance of Hippolyta.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Another really solid issue. I like how Man-Bat is shown caring for both Detective Chimp and Khalid Nassour, and the artwork and visual storytelling is top-notch. They also did a solid test firing of the Chekhov's gun that had been placed on the mantlepiece earlier. I also like the way Tynion segues the opening flashback into the main narrative. Not as well done as the one in the previous issue, but still good.

Only issue is that Diana calls herself "I am Diana, Princess of Themyscira, daughter of Zeus". It undermines the core of her character and belittles the importance of Hippolyta.
    I liked it, but it did read a bit too fast for me.

However, I did like the flashback to Zatanna's childhood.
    And the two reveals this issue were intriguing. But it's yet to be seen if one is really true. And if the other is just a temporary thing being set up for Witching Hour.

And I think the only issue I had with the story was the sudden appearance of Chimp and Man-Bat, They just showed up like they knew where to find them. And at the exact time to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    However, I did like the flashback to Zatanna's childhood.
    And the two reveals this issue were intriguing. But it's yet to be seen if one is really true. And if the other is just a temporary thing being set up for Witching Hour.
    You're thinking about?

spoilers:
    When the Upside Down Man told Detective Chimp that "You've held the knowledge of creation in that tiny skull of yours"? Wonder Woman's brand from her youth manifesting again? Or something else?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    You're thinking about?

spoilers:
    When the Upside Down Man told Detective Chimp that "You've held the knowledge of creation in that tiny skull of yours"? Wonder Woman's brand from her youth manifesting again? Or something else?
    end of spoilers
    Possible lie or trick, spoilers:
    if Upside Down Man is being unreliable : Zatara being imprisoned.
    end of spoilers

Possibly just temporary, for Witching Hour: spoilers:
    Wonder Woman's brand manifesting.
    end of spoilers

As for spoilers:
    Det. Chimp... I saw that as a nod to his connection with the Fate helmet, and now his connection with the Nightmaster sword. He's obviously a 'Chosen One', but he's been doing a great job of avoiding the calling.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

I thought Dark was fantastic this week as well.

Been a hot minute since every Justice League book was doing it for me. Throughout the New 52, even with all the hit-or-miss flashpointing, only really the Johns run did it (in spite of my high expectations for JLU that didn't pan) - but that's really because I tend to forget how good early JLDark was. So far in Rebirth it had only really been Orlando's JLA. But now, hoooo, three titles.

Not actually much to talk about - the plot already resolved, we have a good idea where the beastly thing came from. There's plenty of To Be Continued in everything from Nabu and the Nelsons, the actual fate of Zatara (always doomed to be unresolved, gotta figure), Diana being impressed upon by Hecate, Bobo's Nightmaster role and Dark Multiverse assist back in Metal, the whole Tree of Wonder jam, Swamp Thing dying? Constantine caring about fixing what he did to Zatara? I even like that it's mild follow-up to the short Zatanna story in Detective that Tynion ran (that also featured Azrael, who is getting his own follow-up in a different Justice Book).
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Just read the issue. What a brilliant series so far. The right balance of characterisation and action and intrigue. The Upside Down Man is a fantastic design for a villain, the right side of creepy. I wasn't familiar with a lot of the characters but this actually makes me want to read more about Detective Chimp and Man Bat.

I enjoyed the issue and the mystery surrounding the Otherkind plus seeing Wonder Woman power-up into a goddess. The focus is a little too Zatanna and Wonder Woman, with the other characters just there for the ride but I'm sure this will change. I hope Tynion IV doesn't bench Kent Nelson after his return in Rebirth 2016 or make him the new Nabu for Khalid Nassour...

I'm not surprised the focus is on Wonder Woman and Zatanna—they are easily the members with the most presence both in- and out-universe, though Swamp Thing is about level with Zatanna. Given the way the story is structured, I believe we will see a flashback scene from each of the members of the team in the coming issues. The Witching Hour seems like it will have some focus on Swamp Thing, and the November solicitation points towards Detective Chimp taking a lead role.

Not sure when Man-Bat will get a chance to shine, though.

But it's nice to have a comic where every issue has passed the Bechdel test so far.