View Poll Results: Which Do You Root For: Science Or Magic?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magic

9 32.14%
  • Science

3 10.71%
  • Both

4 14.29%
  • Neither/It Depends

12 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Magic vs Science: Which One Do You Root For In A Story?

There have been a number of stories pitting science against magic. In those stories which one do you root for?

In LOT of fictions, science is pretty much magic. At least, that's how many writers use it. (oh no!! we're stuck in that deadly cave!! But don't you worry, i happen to have a machine just for that kind of situation)

That being said, magic has its charm. I'm kind of a sucker for that stuff.

So, magic has my vote.

Magic is my preference, but it has to be used sparingly and not be explained by science. For instance, I hate when Asgardian magic is explained away as being just super technologically advanced.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

Depends on which is being employed by the @$$hole of the story.

Science and magic are tools that allow people to understand and change the world around them, neither is better than the other all that matters is how they are used.

BANNED

Depends what side the villain is on in any given story.
    And, very important, whether or not it is set in a universe that has working magic in it.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I root for people and ideas, not power sources.

To put into D&D terms: It's like asking if you root for the fighter or the mage. It's unanswerable until you get some kind of context. Maybe the fighter is Chaotic Evil. The mage might be a Neutral Good defender of life and freedom. Or vice versa. Or they could both be bastards. Or angels.

Am I rooting for Harry Potter or Voldemort?
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 09-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

It depends on the story and on what you count as magic. In Star Trek, is Q magic or science? Is anything in Star Trek magic or science?

Is the villain the magic one and the hero science based or the other way around? That's a factor.

Is the magic "I can do absolutely anything with no limits" or is the science that way? I'll tend to be on the side of the one who has some limits. For instance, I hate horror movies where the evil magic thing is unstoppable and sometimes ignores even it's own stated weaknesses.

But in general, I lean towards magic because it's more of an escape from reality.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

I lean towards magic, but it depends on the setting/characters/story. I generally am not attracted to pure Sci-Fi stories, though.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I read Dragonlance in high school, and marked out like a complete nerd in 2001 when I saw Lord of the Rings in theaters. Magic gets my vote because it has charm. I just watched an Anime Show called GATE: And the JSDF went there, that was pretty cheerless. There's something about seeing Dragons and Paladins and the like getting mercilessly gunned down by machine guns and mortar shells that makes you think: "Jesus, whoever wrote this has no sense of humor."
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Science and magic are tools that allow people to understand and change the world around them, neither is better than the other all that matters is how they are used.
    I disagree with that big-time.

In the real world, science is real and magic isn't. Furthermore, people believing in magic costs and ruins lives. It allows 'clairvoyants' to rip off vulnerable people, faith healers to convince people to not seek actual medicine. People even get sacrificed or murdered as 'witches' from time to time.

I like magic well enough in the context of a story, but treating it as equal to science in real life can be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post

In the real world, science is real and magic isn't. Furthermore, people believing in magic costs and ruins lives. It allows 'clairvoyants' to rip off vulnerable people, faith healers to convince people to not seek actual medicine. People even get sacrificed or murdered as 'witches' from time to time.

I like magic well enough in the context of a story, but treating it as equal to science in real life can be dangerous.

Good points. In fiction science is usually science. the same science we have just more advanced or using a fictional theory for the sake of the story.

But magic can be something wielded without any understanding. "Say these words and this happens". "Use this Talisman and you can do this" The person doesn't have to know where the power comes from. And often the author doesn't explain the forces behind the magic. Sometimes this lack of knowledge even leads to serious consequences.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post

I don't think the poster was talking about magic in the real world.

Astonishing Member

The side that eradicated smallpox.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think the poster was talking about magic in the real world.
    I hope you're right.