Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default All Female Marvel TV show by Young Avengers’Allan Heinberg in development at ABC

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/mar...202949354/amp/

ABC has given a production commitment to a series that will feature female Marvel superheroes, Variety has confirmed.

The project hails from Allan Heinberg, who wrote the screenplay for “Wonder Woman.” The exact details of the project are being kept under wraps, so no word yet on exactly which characters from the Marvel universe will be featured. Heinberg will executive produce along with Marvel Television head Jeph Loeb, with Marvel TV and ABC Studios producing. Heinberg is working on the series under his overall deal with ABC Studios.

A veteran comic book writer for Marvel and DC, Heinberg’s television credits include “The Catch,” “The Naked Truth,” “Party Of Five,” “Sex And The City,” “Gilmore Girls,” “The O.C.,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Looking,” and “Scandal.”

Should the project move forward, it would be the latest Marvel project to air on the broadcaster. ABC launched “Agents of SHIELD” back in 2013, with the network renewing the show for a sixth season back in May. The sixth season will consist of 13 episodes. ABC also previously aired the Marvel shows “Agent Carter” and “Inhumans,” which have both been canceled.

There has been much speculation about whether or not any other Marvel shows would land at ABC, given the fact that Disney is preparing to launch its own streaming service next year. As Variety exclusively reported on Tuesday, Marvel is in early development on multiple limited series that would focus on characters featured in the Marvel Cinematic Universe like Loki and Scarlet Witch.

Marvel also currently has five shows on Netflix: “The Punisher,” “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist.” The latter three shows all debuted second seasons this year, while “Daredevil” is expected to launch its third yet this year. Marvel also produces the Freeform drama series “Cloak & Dagger.”

Deadline first reported the Heinberg project.
    Excited purely for Allan’s involvement. Who do we want on the team?
    Last edited by Muffin Crud; 09-21-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

So this is tricky because it needs to be characters who are not mutants, haven't already been used, and who Kevin Feige would not want for his movies.

The one who immediately comes to mind is the She-Hulk. It could be The Good Wife with superheroes. (Note that the article doesn't say it will only have female characters, just that they will be featured.)

Satanna, Argatha Harkness, Topaz and Jennifer Kale, the first season villian should be Morgan La Fey.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    So this is tricky because it needs to be characters who are not mutants, haven't already been used, and who Kevin Feige would not want for his movies.

The one who immediately comes to mind is the She-Hulk. It could be The Good Wife with superheroes. (Note that the article doesn't say it will only have female characters, just that they will be featured.)
    There’s nothing I would love more than The Good Shulk, but the handling of the legal stuff on Daredevil doesn’t make me so confident that they could pull that off. Heinberg definitely seems like the type of person they would hire for that though (esp. bc of his soap opera pedigree which probably works better with She-Hulk than with the failed Adrianne Pallicki Wonder Woman pilot that he wrote).

I’m also wondering what became of the Marvel project John Ridley was supposed to be working on.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 09-21-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Speaking of Adrianne Palicki, my first thought when I heard this was... "Maybe they can bring Mockingbird back finally?!"

(Ignoring the fact that she has another show and probably doesn't have time...)

I'm not sure how She-Hulk would work on a TV budget to be honest.

Oh well, if they can do game of thrones and doctor who what can’t they do?

I’m just dying to see she-hulk in the mcu. There’s a giant hole where she should be

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Mockingbird will be a shoe-in with her spin-off show not being picked up. Rita DeMara would be a good fit here. I doubt she'll be used for an Ant-Man movie and she's hugely a forgotten character. They can morph her into whatever they want.

Maybe?

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Satanna, Argatha Harkness, Topaz and Jennifer Kale, the first season villian should be Morgan La Fey.
    I would be kinda sad if all of them got stuck on TV side.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Maybe?

Black Cat -> Sony (I know Marvel has the TV rights to Spidey characters, but I think it's probably a little complicated).

Firestar -> Potentially owned by Fox.

Hellcat -> Already on Netflix.

Monica -> Seems primed for the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Black Cat -> Sony (I know Marvel has the TV rights to Spidey characters, but I think it's probably a little complicated).

Firestar -> Potentially owned by Fox.

Hellcat -> Already on Netflix.

Monica -> Seems primed for the movies.
    I can also imagine they'd want to keep Felicia for one of Spidey's movies rather than television.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm excited for this. It's nice to see Heinberg working with Marvel again (hopefully this won't get delayed like his comics did, though LOL). As for what exactly they're doing: I have no idea, honestly. They can't do any direct adaptions of any all-female group Marvel has ever had because all of them feature characters who are off-limits for a variety of reasons. So it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Also, Allan, pretty please, get your ass to a writing room with Kevin Feige and start discussing the Young Avengers in the MCU ASAP. Maybe then Marvel will start giving a **** about the team again.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I’m also wondering what became of the Marvel project John Ridley was supposed to be working on.
    Same. It's been in development for ages now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure how She-Hulk would work on a TV budget to be honest.
    Yeah, that would be tricky, because it would probably have to get rid of one of the main aspects of Jen, which is how she embraces her Hulk persona and wears it with pride most of the time. Plus, I just really feel like she's a character meant for the movies. It would feel very wrong to know Jennifer Walters exists in the MCU and yet never interacts with her cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Maybe?

Y'know, while I don't think this roster is what they're going for (for the reasons Frontier mentioned), I think Marvel Divas sounds like a fun name for a TV show, so I'd be okay if they used that as the title.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-22-2018 at 01:10 AM.

To be fair, the article doesn't say it's a female team. It just says it'll feature female heroes. There's a chance it could just be two or so. It just has to be female-led to meet the press release's statement.

Ultimate Member

I feel like She-Hulk and Tigra are two of the first names to pop up for lady heroes that aren't already on Netflix (like Misty or Patsy), in or being set up for movies (like Valkyrie, Wasp, Scarlet Witch or Monica Rambeau), tainted by the Inhumans series (Medusa, Crystal), mutants (Firestar, Domino, etc.), Spider-adjacent (Spider Woman, Black Cat, Silk), etc. There are tons of female characters that don't feel right for this, from Storm to Sue Richards to Sersi to Moondragon or Namora/Namorita. Both Jen and Greer sound like they'd be effects-heavy, with the all-green makeup and size, or the furry cat-physiology and tail.

Other dark horse choices could be Elsa Bloodstone or White Tiger (Ava or Angela) or Squirrel Girl or Moon Girl or Songbird or Diamondback or Snowbird. Some, like Diamondback, Elsa and a White Tiger, would probably be cheaper for a TV budget than someone with a pet dinosaur, or able to turn into polar bears, or with giant pink energy wings...