Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Same. I just don't like it because every time I see it, it feels wrong. It doesn't ring true to the character for me. It's forced drama.

There are some things I just can't accept when it's about Superman.

Another scene I don't buy at all is Superman telling Supergirl that the world doesn't need Superman when it has Supergirl... That's beyond cheap.

Or Superman renouncing to his powers just to be with Lois. My Superman is better than that.
    Agreed 100%
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Smallville had a lot of sins and things it screwed up... but one thing I will always love is their Jonathon Kent. John Schniender NAILED that part. Not only did he have that 'look' of an actual country boy raised on a farm and not some old white haired overweight man that was pretty common depiction, But THAT Jonathon I could picture getting up early and working on the tractor before building a barn...

Not only did he LOOK the part, but he also nailed the concept of a loving father wanting to do anything to protect his son's secret... while also instilling in him the values that would cause him to put others first and become Superman. MoS Clark had no guiding star. His morals just 'happened' as opposed to solid upbringing.

MoS version,

Clark: What was I supposed to do? Let them Die?

Jonathon: … Maybe. There's more at stake then our lives or the lives of those around us.

The way the Conversation SHOULD have went...

Clark: What was I supposed to do? Let them Die?

Jonathon: NO, of course not... You just... You have to be more careful...

Smallville had a solid 4-5 seasons of Jonathon putting his family and Clark's secret as their #1 priority until something bigger came along and then the heroics started and they'd deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Smallville had a lot of sins and things it screwed up... but one thing I will always love is their Jonathon Kent.
    I hated him more than any other character in the programme. He was such a self-righteous arsehole.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I hated him more than any other character in the programme. He was such a self-righteous arsehole.
    Let me guess. Your favorite character was Lex? :P
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I'm not much of a Smallville fan, so take my opinion with a ginormous heap of salt, but whatever Superman legacy character on that show really comes out looking good? Sure ain't Clark!

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm not much of a Smallville fan, so take my opinion with a ginormous heap of salt, but whatever Superman legacy character on that show really comes out looking good? Sure ain't Clark!
    I'll always say it went WAY too long. A 'superman origin' that lasted over 10 years. Most of their 'no tights no flights' rules were fine in highschool… but after he's been in metropolis for 4 years, working at the daily planet, dating Lois Lane, and founded the justice league... not to mention fought Bizarro and Doomsday.... It got more than a little ridiculous. It needed to segue into a real Superman show around season 5 or 6 and quit padding things out.

As it is, there were so many characters in so many episodes and executive mandates that prevented them from being logical... that nearly EVERYONE in that show turned out looking terrible.

There were a few seasons and arcs that I thought Clark was awesome... and some I was ready to load a kryptonite bullet myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Y'know... I actually appreciated that. He was down right TERRIBLE to Lex. He had some serious personal hangups with the Luthors that did not fit with his wholesome family man mentality... He was generally a decent guy who liked and trusted people... EXCEPT THOSE LUTHORS!!

Felt like a 'real' person to me. Less a 'tv dad' and more a real dad... Everyone has a LITTLE bit of hypocrite in them :P

Worth noting that Smallville Clark eventually inherited his old man’s SCREW THE LUTHORS!! policy. At least for a while until Tess had her redemption arc.
    Edit: not criticising, I liked Smallville Lex and Clark’s arc and how it compared to Lionel and Jonathan’s.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 12-20-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Worth noting that Smallville Clark eventually inherited his old man’s SCREW THE LUTHORS!! policy. At least for a while until Tess had her redemption arc.
    True, but I was okay with that too. That got the point where they were so far past 'origin' that I REALLY wanted to see the solid 'Superman vs. Luthor' Status quo that they had been teasing forever actually solidify. You can only build to the status quo for so long before it's time to actually GET there...

In fairness once the Superboy persona is taken out of the equation most versions of Clark spend their teens and half of their 20's helping in the shadows before getting the costume and becoming a proper Superman its just those years are usually glossed over where Smallville focused on them.

Personally as much as I loved the Lex and Clark relationship I really loved the later seasons the JSA two-parter is one of my favorite stories from not only the series but any show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In fairness once the Superboy persona is taken out of the equation most versions of Clark spend their teens and half of their 20's helping in the shadows before getting the costume and becoming a proper Superman its just those years are usually glossed over where Smallville focused on them.

Personally as much as I loved the Lex and Clark relationship I really loved the later seasons the JSA two-parter is one of my favorite stories from not only the series but any show.
    True, which is why I was fine with it in high school... and pretty much the whole 16-21 year old 'discover yourself' range... Back when all the teases and hints were about how he was going to be Superman. Honeslty my favorite line of the show was when he went to a Halloween party dressed like Zorro and someone said 'Isn't that cape a bit much'... and his response was "I like the cape... the mask keeps getting in my way though... " That was some hilarious foreshadowing done right.

By seasons 6+ they were past the 'superboy' stage. He was an active hero with two different costumes doing 'the blur' stuff... and now the foreshadowing had turned negative like "I'll never wear something like THAT in public" when we all know he WILL.. It was frustrating and padding. And the black trenchcoat and red jacket with the S shield were in play... but he wasn't Superman... that would be SILLY... :P The way I look at it, by the time it ended Clark was about 27 and Tom Welling himself was 35 and getting a few grey hairs... the 'Origin' was past. The last season I really liked because they knew they were ending and were allowed to actually reach a few conclusions and tie up some threads.

I've always assumed that the show was much bigger then they expected. They expected to be cancelled right away... planned out for 3-4 years.. ala Lois and Clark, but once they hit seasons 5+ they didn't really know WHAT to do and it felt like they were spinning their wheels just trying to get another a season in the can. Very similar to Supernatural now. They planned out 4-5 years... and are now on season 12. It's mostly just victory laps at this point with the occasional awesome episode thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    True, which is why I was fine with it in high school... and pretty much the whole 16-21 year old 'discover yourself' range... Back when all the teases and hints were about how he was going to be Superman. Honeslty my favorite line of the show was when he went to a Halloween party dressed like Zorro and someone said 'Isn't that cape a bit much'... and his response was "I like the cape... the mask keeps getting in my way though... " That was some hilarious foreshadowing done right.

By seasons 6+ they were past the 'superboy' stage. He was an active hero with two different costumes doing 'the blur' stuff... and now the foreshadowing had turned negative like "I'll never wear something like THAT in public" when we all know he WILL.. It was frustrating and padding. And the black trenchcoat and red jacket with the S shield were in play... but he wasn't Superman... that would be SILLY... :P The way I look at it, by the time it ended Clark was about 27 and Tom Welling himself was 35 and getting a few grey hairs... the 'Origin' was past. The last season I really liked because they knew they were ending and were allowed to actually reach a few conclusions and tie up some threads.

I've always assumed that the show was much bigger then they expected. They expected to be cancelled right away... planned out for 3-4 years.. ala Lois and Clark, but once they hit seasons 5+ they didn't really know WHAT to do and it felt like they were spinning their wheels just trying to get another a season in the can. Very similar to Supernatural now. They planned out 4-5 years... and are now on season 12. It's mostly just victory laps at this point with the occasional awesome episode thrown in.
    I never had an issue with it seeing as he got to have his normal life while still being a hero and coming forward once he realized he'd do more good for the world as a public figure than a silent hero.

Master Hero Vladimir

Don't remind me of Smallville. That show is one of the worst aspects of the Superman saga. The whole premise was about "the adventures of Clark Kent before he became Superman", but what exactly was he supposed to do around that time? Clark should have become Superman by season 5 or so, but instead, the show kept dragging on and Clark was doing the exact same things he would be doing as Superman, but without the things that make him iconic (suit, flight, etc.). We don't even get to see the full suit, only the S underneath Clark's suit. Congratulations, Smallville. You turned what was supposed to be a major historical moment into something that just barely qualifies as a cameo. I admit I liked Erica Durance and Michael Rosenbaum's performances and there were some cool episodes and concepts here and there but, by and large, Smallville should be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Don't remind me of Smallville. That show is one of the worst aspects of the Superman saga. The whole premise was about "the adventures of Clark Kent before he became Superman", but what exactly was he supposed to do around that time? Clark should have become Superman by season 5 or so, but instead, the show kept dragging on and Clark was doing the exact same things he would be doing as Superman, but without the things that make him iconic (suit, flight, etc.). We don't even get to see the full suit, only the S underneath Clark's suit. Congratulations, Smallville. You turned what was supposed to be a major historical moment into something that just barely qualifies as a cameo. I admit I liked Erica Durance and Michael Rosenbaum's performances and there were some cool episodes and concepts here and there but, by and large, Smallville should be forgotten.
    As long as I live one person will fly the Smallville flag while Superman 78 is my favorite Superman film Smallville is my favorite series and I love all the TV shows but its my favorite.

Smallville can't ever be forgotten. For better or worse, Tom welling played that role for 10 years... and a solid 22-24 episodes each. which is more than Dean Caine, George Reeve, Christopher Reeves and Henry Cavill COMBINED Christopher Reeves will always be my iconic Superman.... but for a LOT of people Welling will be, and it's really hard to dispute that claim...

Master Hero Vladimir

If people like Smallville, that's fine. They are not wrong for liking it, just like I'm not wrong for disliking it. It's just that the show used the Superman mythos in a way I do not agree with.
    Last edited by HeroVladimir93; 12-20-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Grammar check.