Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default CYBORG volume 3?

So, is Victor Stone doomed, as far as solo ongoing titles go?

Or will he get a 3rd chance?

And what could a 3rd series of a CYBORG comic book learn from the 1st and 2nd series, in terms of what worked and doesn't work?

Who would you want as the creative team? What newer themes could be explored?

When, if ever, do you think we might see another CYBORG ongoing? Or would a series of planned miniseries be better for him?

Doomed.

There's no one currently at DC with the skill and vision who cares enough to write him.

DC stopped his physical advancement to the disappointment of those who were really interested in him which lends itself to the lack of wish-fulfulment.

At no point is he pushed to the forefront in any meaningful way. If DC doesn't care, why should we?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Actually, I quite liked Rebirth Cyborg. It wasn't exceptional, and it was a little behind in the times, but I suspect if that series was released three or four decades earlier, it would be received more fanfare and acclaim.

Anyway, this is what I would do to relaunch Cyborg in a new ongoing.

I would change his personality: basically every Cyborg series has portrayed him as a depressed, self pitying robot. Always questioning his humanity. This conflicts with Cyborg's most mainstream portrayal in the Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go cartoons.There they portray the character as happy go lucky and fun. Something the character for the comics often sorely lacks.

Have him not star in a solo series, but a team up title: Maybe Cyborg on his own just doesn't sell comic books. Maybe no matter what, fans are not going to flock to a title where he stars alone. However, interest might be generated if he is teamed up with a fellow superhero. My pick is Beast Boy. My idea for this series is similar to the concept of Firestorm wherein the characters would be combined into one being, but still be able to communicate with one another

I swear to God if they put Wolfman on a Vol. 3 I’d lose it. I liked Rebirth Cyborg. It has a cheesey Bronze Age feel to it that I enjoyed. I liked the supporting cast and rogues characters that Semper added, and that he built on what Walker was doing before Walker left. Conrad was great on art.

Apparently there’s an editor at DC who insists every Cyborg writer has to focus on “am I a man or a machine”? If that’s true then Vic will never see any real success as long as that idiot is in charge.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So, is Victor Stone doomed, as far as solo ongoing titles go?

Or will he get a 3rd chance?
    NO he shouldn't until you remove that editor who ruined his previous runs with nonstop man vs machine crap.

At no point is he pushed to the forefront in any meaningful way. If DC doesn't care, why should we?
    THIS

I mean if Dc is willing to ignore what has been done with Panther, Miles, Cage and now Patriot in Marvel Rising-to not eve TRY to counter-why should fans care?

Alright, who is this editor?

I want a name to put on this bane of Cyborg's existence.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Cyborg could be such a rad character with his own little cyber punk corner of the DCU.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Cyborg could be such a rad character with his own little cyber punk corner of the DCU.
    An imprint?

What Walker and Reis did by having Vic become so technologically advanced that he could morph back to a man at will was the most intriguing thing that happened to him. EVER. He finally became a character one could enjoy being.

Then DC stripped it away for another round of "man or machine" in a much less appealing look.

Should he ever get a solo again...advance the concept.

Cyborg would be the perfect character for Grant Morrison.
    He has more wiggle room for being expanded on in interesting ways than any of the A-listers.

The only other Leaguer that I think would do better under Morrison is probably Zatanna.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Alright, who is this editor?

I want a name to put on this bane of Cyborg's existence.
    Geoff Johns. Since the beginning he's been the one who's called the shots with the characters, and whenever David Walker tried to take Cyborg in a new direction, DC Editorial (which was headed by Johns) got in the way. When John Sempter Jr took over the character, the editors even encouraged him not to continue with Walker's foundation. Now, there's news that a Cyborg movie will be too costly to produce (and frankly, that's a shame because I was really looking forward to more of Ray Fisher's portrayal).

It's not the character that's the problem (especially not when there are people who're willing to update the character for the 21st century). No, the problem is and always has been DC itself. If they weren't even going to try with Cyborg, then they shouldn't have placed him in the spotlight at all.

Having Wolfman write a Cyborg run was probably the worst thing they could have done. I mean who the hell even signed off on those stories to begin with? Honestly, when I look back on how Ray Fisher poured his heart and his soul into this character, created a #BorgLife brand for Cyborg, made apparell and donated the proceeds to charity, And then there's this:

People who do see Cyborg as an inspirational figure, but DC refuses to even try with this guy.
    I'm of the mindset that Cyborg can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people, but DC just continued to half-ass the character over and over. And now that whatever hatchet DC had with Isabella is buried, DC can just simply swap out Cyborg with Black Lightning (seeing as his CW show is proving popular). Cyborg deserves an ongoing comic, and as long as he's a "founding member" of the JL he needs to have one. Period.

I've got plenty of things to keep me occupied when it comes to Black heroes (as skyvolt2000 has already listed). But I like Cyborg. I like Ray Fisher. And it sucks that they're just tossing him out just because they lack the imagination (and really, the balls) to do him justice. Ray Fisher deserves better than that.

I really doubt it was Johns. He specifically drew attention to Walker giving Vic his body back in JL. I think Vic’s new suit showed up there as well.

So here is my thoughts on the Cyborg book

- Man or Machine. If someone else does that story line again fans get to beat them with baseball bats. Let Cyborg be happy and enjoy being superhero as well the complex what is meaning of life stuff.

- Just because he is named Cyborg doesn't mean you have to create a million crappy robot/tech villains.He can fight other style of villains/characters how about Swamp Thing? How about Damage? How about Deathstroke? Vandal Savage? Black Manta?

- Give him his friends back,Heck make him Leader of the Titans. Whatever you do he needs some connection with the Titans.

That was my obvious thoughts on the problems with Rebirth Cyborg book. The book was okay but it was destined to fail because of things above and it had a different artist nearly every other issue( I read it later I don't know how often it shipped fyi)

Yes Cyborg should be given another book here is what I would do to fix it

- They have been two proven paths for the style of tech hero. A. Super Smart B. Works for the Government Agency. I would do both make his intelligence more of thing even if you have do the stupid "Cyborg is the fifth smartest man in world" thing. I would have Cyborg working for the government(maybe Argus). It work in Flashpoint imo and role kind fits Cyborg has the superhero the US government really depends on I think is good role for him.

- You don't need a amazing rogues gallery,You can steal from other characters I think Grid,Variant and Red Lion are good enough start but they can steal from other people gallery Amazo, Brainiac, Eradicator, Lex Luthor,The Thinker,Red Volcano,T.O. Morrow,Brother Blood,Darkseid etc. They are ton of villains(mostly superman villains oddly) that you can use instead of creating generic bad original villains. Yes some work has to be done on original group of villains but strength of shared universe is that you can borrow from other places.I mean Dr Doom started as FF villain but Iron Man and Black Panther have utilize him pretty well too. Create him a roster of original villains while utilizing some establish DC ones.

Lastly give the book actually chance to survive don't sabotage a book chance for success with creative decisions. Seriously how can you do a Cyborg book and not sprinkle in Titans ,Justice League and DC connections. I am reading the book Damage right now numbers might not be amazing but the book has had consistent Tony Daniel(well 3 issues) and Diogenes Neves art and It has had Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Poison Ivy,Gorilla Grodd and the Unknown Soldier making appearances. If Damage is canceled I can't be mad at DC(well other than taking away the big draw artist). I am tired seeing Cyborg can't sell but you see stuff that would sink any comic.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-22-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    What Walker and Reis did by having Vic become so technologically advanced that he could morph back to a man at will was the most intriguing thing that happened to him. EVER. He finally became a character one could enjoy being.

Then DC stripped it away for another round of "man or machine" in a much less appealing look.

Should he ever get a solo again...advance the concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I would change his personality: basically every Cyborg series has portrayed him as a depressed, self pitying robot. Always questioning his humanity. This conflicts with Cyborg's most mainstream portrayal in the Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go cartoons.There they portray the character as happy go lucky and fun. Something the character for the comics often sorely lacks.
    I'd say take those two ideas and mash 'em together. Stop writing Cyborg in a constant state of self-pity and navel gazing, and start writing him as an upbeat, goofy, and fun-loving nerd/jock hybrid, whose general joie de vivre belies an occasional and understated melancholy introspection. Then return Cyborg's super OP abilities and organic-at-will power from Walker and Reis, so DC can never do that boring-ass "man or machine" crap again.

And then yeah, just because I've been saying it for seven whole years, send him to New Genesis for a while. Emphasize the Kirby connection. Let him spend some time with Orion and Lightray or something like that.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

They need to find someone that gives a damn first before they throw him another book. I'm tired of seeing a good character get mediocre titles.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8