View Poll Results: Who will be Batman by 2039?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bruce Wayne

67 64.42%
  • Dick Grayson

9 8.65%
  • Damian

21 20.19%
  • Someone else (please specify)

4 3.85%
  • Doesn't matter who is behind the cowl, it'll still sell

1 0.96%
  • No one: DC itself will no longer exist by then

2 1.92%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Was talking in terms of importance more than the "being Batman/Spider-Man" aspect, since I don't see anyone else lasting in that role.
    If anyone were to ever last in the role, it'd be Jace. Plain and simple, no established character has a better chance than Jace.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    If anyone were to ever last in the role, it'd be Jace. Plain and simple, no established character has a better chance than Jace.
    Maybe. But I would still say even the best odds in this case are still bordering on slim to none.

Maybe. But I would still say even the best odds in this case are still bordering on slim to none.
    I think that's just cynicism. To put it simply, DC has no reason for Jace not to be permanent.

I think that's just cynicism. To put it simply, DC has no reason for Jace not to be permanent.
    Not really, no. Cynicism requires pessimism or negativity. While I view anyone's chances, who isn't Bruce Wayne, of lasting long as Batman pretty low, in my case it's an optimistic viewpoint with a certain degree of positivity behind it. I'm glad that Bruce is and will always be the main Batman, and all others get either a negative or indifferent reaction from me.

To wit, what is or isn't cynicism is all subjective.

Not really, no. Cynicism requires pessimism or negativity. While I view anyone's chances, who isn't Bruce Wayne, of lasting long as Batman pretty low, in my case it's an optimistic viewpoint with a certain degree of positivity behind it. I'm glad that Bruce is and will always be the main Batman, and all others get either a negative or indifferent reaction from me.

To wit, what is or isn't cynicism is all subjective.
    Bruce being the only permanent Batman forever is boring. I'm glad they're going a different route, I can only read the same storyline so many times.

Bruce being the only permanent Batman forever is boring. I'm glad they're going a different route, I can only read the same storyline so many times.
    I couldn't disagree more. Over 80 years later and the character is still being churned out in stories across all media that I absolutely love. There's still new storylines with the guy, new takes, new forms and permutations. I love it!

But too each their own. But if Batman bores you, you could always just move on.

I couldn't disagree more. Over 80 years later and the character is still being churned out in stories across all media that I absolutely love. There's still new storylines with the guy, new takes, new forms and permutations. I love it!

But too each their own. But if Batman bores you, you could always just move on.
    Batman doesn't bore me. Bruce Wayne does. I'm really liking Jace's stories.

Batman doesn't bore me. Bruce Wayne does. I'm really liking Jace's stories.
    Well, Bruce Wayne doesn't bore me in the slightest - and I'm far from alone in that. Bruce Wayne is hugely popular and interesting for many people.
    I'm glad you're enjoying Jace though.

Well, Bruce Wayne doesn't bore me in the slightest - and I'm far from alone in that. Bruce Wayne is hugely popular and interesting for many people.
    I'm glad you're enjoying Jace though.
    Notice how I never said you were the only person who enjoyed Bruce Wayne. You really did just bring that up out of nowhere, though.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 05-20-2021 at 01:20 AM.

Notice how I never said you were the only person who enjoyed Bruce Wayne. You really did just bring that up out of nowhere, though.
    You said Bruce was boring, at least to you. Thought I'd point out how that's not the most popular opinion is all.
    And what did I bring up out of nowhere?

You said Bruce was boring, at least to you. Thought I'd point out how that's not the most popular opinion is all.
    And what did I bring up out of nowhere?
    Most people think Bruce Wayne is boring.

Most people think Bruce Wayne is boring.
    Do you have research to back that up?

Me, I think Bruce has been poorly written for a while, but "boring" is not a word I would use to describe him in general.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Me, I think Bruce has been poorly written for a while, but "boring" is not a word I would use to describe him in general.
    The Harvard research division did a paper on this, unfortunately it is currently private. But to answer your question I'm omniscient. Most people think Superman is cooler.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Dick's not gonna be Batman again.
    I'm sure they said the same thing after Prodigal. We got Morrison's run anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Yes, Bruce is one of my favorite fictional characters. Or at least specific versions of him are. Like you, I think he's been written very poorly more often than not in the modern age, but that's on the writing. The Big Two always cycle through mismanaging different characters, Bruce just had the bad luck of having shitty characterizations stick (yet still being the most popular DC hero, so somehow most like this). He's an inherently fun and interesting character when he's allowed to be and I could never find those versions boring.

Anyway, only character I'd be interested in taking over permanently is Dick, and even then I would expect it to be isolated to one continuity because no way is Bruce ever going away (nor would I want him to). If Bruce gets killed off, it'd make sense to also kill off Dick because otherwise we get some unconvincing reasons for why the successor shouldn't be him: I don't really buy any of the "he doesn't want to be Batman because he's worried he wouldn't live up to it" anymore post-Morrison, especially as Bruce both wouldn't want him to be the same kind of Batman and fully trusts that he can succeed.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I also can't say I ever care for the mantles to be passed down even if the stories were to progress away from the big name characters. Say if we killed off Bruce permanently and the story moves on without him, I'd rather the Batman identity go with him. The identity is so tied to him as a character that the identity on its own does nothing for me, and I get sick of seeing the same costumes recycled onto different characters, just slightly tweaked. In a visual medium like comics, I want to see new creative costumes and identities, not just "Batman: the Sequel". Dick can inherit protecting Gotham as Nightwing, he (or anybody else) wouldn't need to be Batman II

Same with me not digging the idea of a Superman II at all, but part of me would have been ok with "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" being the last canon Superman story and the DCU moving on without him without any other Superman. At least it would have been a high note compared to some of the low points we've gotten since.