Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yes all of marston’s origins for the amazon children is that they were made from clay. To be honest Diana is one of the strongest of the amazons. Why couldn’t it be after she wins the gods bless her with her more powers. Or if there is a way that there is a more advance training that only Hippoltya and the people in her court. If we want Diana to get her training due to training it would have to make sense that it’s either training from the gods or some other form of training from the Amazons that’s rarely trained. Flying could be one. Or it could be done through science.
    I just want to add that I loved Marston establishing that they celebrate Demeter with a holiday that is a sort of harvest festival combined with a mothers day. ^^

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It did later turn out that there were other Amazon children on the island though, and I think we are meant to believe they are all created by the same means.
    There might not be anything remarkable in Aphrodite bringing Diana to life, but immediately after that, in WONDER WOMAN No. 1, Hippolyte and the other Amazons marvel at the abilities displayed by the growing young princess--which tends to suggest that she is more powerful than any other Amazon. Of course, this doesn't have to mean that she is exponentially more powerful.

I think it's mainly in Kanigher's retelling of the origin where it's overtly shown that Diana gets her powers from the four gods (Minerva/Athena, Venus/Aphrodite, Mercury/Hermes and Hercules). This is more like the stories of Sleeping Beauty, where six good faires come to the child's christening and bestow upon her the gifts of beauty, wit, grace, dance, goodness and song.

They should have replaced dance with a brain
    Than she would not have pricked her finger on the spindle and could have attended Arthur Murrays

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There might not be anything remarkable in Aphrodite bringing Diana to life, but immediately after that, in WONDER WOMAN No. 1, Hippolyte and the other Amazons marvel at the abilities displayed by the growing young princess--which tends to suggest that she is more powerful than any other Amazon. Of course, this doesn't have to mean that she is exponentially more powerful.

I think it's mainly in Kanigher's retelling of the origin where it's overtly shown that Diana gets her powers from the four gods (Minerva/Athena, Venus/Aphrodite, Mercury/Hermes and Hercules). This is more like the stories of Sleeping Beauty, where six good faires come to the child's christening and bestow upon her the gifts of beauty, wit, grace, dance, goodness and song.
    Well Diana and Mara are the two strongest amazons. Not only that but one Amazon Child in the newspaper comics was pretty powerful. I'm curious should Diana be blessed already with powers or earn them? To be honest I think due to the fact Amazons are they on race in DC. Why ccan't it be due to the fact Hippoltya is also very powerful that some of that also passed down to Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well Diana and Mara are the two strongest amazons. Not only that but one Amazon Child in the newspaper comics was pretty powerful. I'm curious should Diana be blessed already with powers or earn them? To be honest I think due to the fact Amazons are they on race in DC. Why ccan't it be due to the fact Hippoltya is also very powerful that some of that also passed down to Diana?
    Still amuses me that the child Amazon from the newspaper was named Kara a good twenty years before Supergirl was a thing. And it was a nice confirmation to have the child say "My mommy molded me from clay in her image!"

If I had a say id want Wonder Womans abilities to be a learned skill all Amazons aquire. I know there are several arguments some of them rather good for making her powers blessings of the gods, but I liked that original origin for her powers. It had a theme and a point to it. That her powers didn't come from believing in the gods or because she was blessed at birth or because her mom did it with her great grandfather. But because she believed in herself.

The idea that that psychic super strength is tied to ones self confidence and making an effort to better oneself establishes Wonder Womans powers to boil down to "If you believe in yourself then anything is possible!" When they started undercutting that by making it so she got her powers simply being gifted it, it undercut her entire theme.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Still amuses me that the child Amazon from the newspaper was named Kara a good twenty years before Supergirl was a thing. And it was a nice confirmation to have the child say "My mommy molded me from clay in her image!"

If I had a say id want Wonder Womans abilities to be a learned skill all Amazons aquire. I know there are several arguments some of them rather good for making her powers blessings of the gods, but I liked that original origin for her powers. It had a theme and a point to it. That her powers didn't come from believing in the gods or because she was blessed at birth or because her mom did it with her great grandfather. But because she believed in herself.

The idea that that psychic super strength is tied to ones self confidence and making an effort to better oneself establishes Wonder Womans powers to boil down to "If you believe in yourself then anything is possible!" When they started undercutting that by making it so she got her powers simply being gifted it, it undercut her entire theme.
    Fuzzy Mittens: you eloquently simplified what I've been trying to express for over a year on these forums (which either makes you a genius, or me an inarticulate boob).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Fuzzy Mittens: you eloquently simplified what I've been trying to express for over a year on these forums (which either makes you a genius, or me an inarticulate boob).
    To be fair ive invested alot of money collecting alot of Wonder Woman comics, years of my free time studying and examining elements and aspects of the characters runs and have been putting alot of effort into examining the complaints people have had over the years regarding the character and working out just what people have been doing wrong with her.

People say she doesn't have a theme or a point? She did. Writers simply buried and hid it.
    People say she is like a goddess whose out of touch with the world? Shes not. Writers went out of the way to make her a goddess who they insist looks down on people.
    People say her rogues gallery and mythos is to weird and silly? I challenge them to prove otherwise with the other big name heroes.
    People say she doesn't have a supporting cast? She has the largest number of supporting characters out of any hero ive come across. Its simply that nobody uses them.
    People complain that her origin is to complicated? Far simpler than that of Supermans or Spidermans.

This has been my central hobby for years, I just didn't know there was a Wonder Woman forum until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I just want to add that I loved Marston establishing that they celebrate Demeter with a holiday that is a sort of harvest festival combined with a mothers day. ^^
    Yeah, it's a nice touch in that it explores their culture in a way that makes it more interesting and adds depth.