Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I don't like the idea of many Kryptonians, but to answer the question, Yes. Superman should certainly be more powerful and stronger than others of his kind.

To echo others, Superman had the most exposure to the Yellow Sun and had far more time to learn/use his powers.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think it would be easy to just say that Kryptonians that have been locked in the Phantom Zone or shrunk down in Kandor have been slightly altered due to those experiences so they will never get as strong as Superman. Maybe say those that have been in the PZ are only about 75-80% as powered up due to soaking up weird PZ energy and those in Kandor can only get maybe 25-50% as powered up due to the aftereffects of Brainiac's shrinking tech.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think it would be easy to just say that Kryptonians that have been locked in the Phantom Zone or shrunk down in Kandor have been slightly altered due to those experiences so they will never get as strong as Superman. Maybe say those that have been in the PZ are only about 75-80% as powered up due to soaking up weird PZ energy and those in Kandor can only get maybe 25-50% as powered up due to the aftereffects of Brainiac's shrinking tech.
    When you put it that way, it looks like Zod and his cohorts never really stood a chance.

And that's why I think the power levels should be close to even, so Clark can continue to be seriously threatened by those villains.

However, as Superlad said, the build-up of solar energy should, over time, change things. I agree with the notion that Clark only becomes more powerful over time. But for the "immortal right now" of comics-time? I want Clark to bleed and struggle and know he's going against people with equal power and more military training, and his only hope for victory is in his greater skill and experience.

Even then, saying that the extra time under the yellow sun has allowed Clark to bench press a few extra tons more than Zod and Kara and the rest? Sure, at that level a few tons don't make any noticeable difference and you could say the power creep has already started.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What really should set Superman apart is his experience and his skill using his powers. I think that if Superman is more powerful than other kryptonians it should be more obvious on his other powers, like he could see more, other kryptonians can see what is happening in Mars, but Clark can see Neptune., they can see a molecule, but Superman can see a proton. This way he can still be above other kryptonians, but they would still be a challenge to him on a fight.

My approach for this has generally been a combination of:

- experience;
    - extensive reserves; and
    - what hasn't killed him has made him stronger.

Like others have said, his experience with his abilities is a key component that gives him a considerable edge over those who might otherwise be 'evenly matched'. He can do things others might not have the patience to (vibrate invisible, for example), the will for (pushing through the pain of exposure to Kryptonite, for example), or considered (combining vision-powers to create mini-EMP-torpedoes, for example). He can also tap into the other end of this ability-spectrum - be as gentle as a feather, not listen in on things, not smell things and so on.

I'm in favour of certain abilities manifesting immediately (enhanced immune system and general durability, for example) but prefer the more dangerous levels/abilities to manifest a lot more slowly and be triggered by changes in Kryptonian-hormonal levels (so... generally, when puberty kicks in for the individual (with 'proper' levels in most adult Kryptonians)). Sol-exposure, however, starts 'charging' the reserves from day one and, over time, allows for rapid charging when there have been incidents of massive depletion.

Tied in with the above is 'what hasn't killed him has made him stronger' - we see examples of this in the original comics (knocked out by gas or hurt by electricity but then able to shrug off the gas etc the next time) and in countless stories over the years. It's a 'level-up' that's part and parcel of doing the things he has had to do over the years (and why Lex and others have to keep upping their destructive game, too).

So, to my mind, an adult Kryptonian would have Superman-level abilities upon immediate exposure to Sol (or Sol-equivalent) as it would be like giving them super-adrenaline. The effect doesn't last (and is subject to what they do with the super-boost) and will dissipate. They will then be 'powerless' until their base reserves are built up to a sufficient level. After that, it would either take them years to get back to Superman-level or require intense concentrated exposure (but run the risk of degeneration etc).

Alongside this, Kal's experience etc would make him the most powerful overall but other Kryptonians could be faster or stronger (but Kal's stamina would win out because his reserves are greater) but it would be a difference only he and they would notice. Other Kryptonians will not have been through all the things Kal has, and it's unlikely that any of them would risk doing anything comparatively similar (even in a controlled environment) as there are just too many variables (Kal having a nuclear bomb explode in his face (thanks Joker) might be the key component that allows him to absorb anti-sun radiation without it killing him, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d give him a slight edge in strength and speed due to being on Earth longer. But Zod or Faora should absolutely be able to kill him due to being trained soldiers who have much greater combat experience.
    I'm going to disagree, and here's why. They have developed their fighting styles based on being non-solar-powered creatures. On the other hand, Superman trained for years on how to maximize efficient combat based on his skill set. You can slap Faora and Zod with the full compliment of Superman's powers, but they're not instantly going to have the proper instinct/reactions on how to use their powers based on circumstances.

For instance, if Zod and Faora got into a face-to-face clench, their first instinct might not be just to heat vision the guy. If a land-based creature like Doomsday tried to pin them to the ground, their first reaction might not be use their anti-gravity/flight skills to regain leverage. They might be thinking about things like maintaining footwork and balance, whereas Superman already knows how to take chances and gamble for heavy punches because he literally doesn't have to fight on his feet. It's little things like that that could swing the fight in Superman's favor that, sadly, most writers don't think about.

EDIT: In short, if you just gave Zod and Faora powers and told them to tussle with Superman, they would have to re-learn how to fight effectively, because now they are fighting under unfamiliar conditions. Superman's ready to go. They will hesitate, Superman will not.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 09-24-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    There shouldn't be other Kryptonians alive.
    There is some truth to that statement in being the -last son of Krypton- With that being said, Superman should be far beyond any KryptonianÂ…. unique in power, power incarnate or, at least trending toward and growing into that cosmic condition. Also, (Ideally) he shouldn't be so depended on a Yellow Sun, especially since absorbing solar rays sine being a "babe in arms" his cellular structure should've and/or would've mutated to the point where he is self sustaining on a quantum level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think it shouldn't be a matter of Clark having more raw power, but more skill.

Superman's the biggest, most powerful hero on earth but his foes are often just as powerful as he is, if not more so. I feel that Clark being more powerful than other Kryptonians goes against the grain and makes their conflict a matter of who can punch harder, when it should be who is smarter, more determined, and more clever.

The difference should be experience and application of ability. Clark's had his powers longer than any other Kryptonian and should know how to use them in ways no one else has thought of, with a higher degree of control and sensitivity. It should be more intuitive for Clark than it is for the others; he's spent his life with his powers while everyone else has recently got them.

Agree with this.

I tend to be in the minority, but I HATED the Byrne power creep concept. Mostly for JUST this situation. The idea that it took 18 years to gain powers is tedious to me As is the idea that he was this big football star... it all just feels wrong for the character.

In my mind. Yellow Sun = Powers. Red Sun= No powers... Yellow Sun = Back to Full Powers. Super boy, Super Baby, Super dog... whatever.... If you're kryptonian Yellow Sun gives you powers.

I don't need or want some long winded, convoluted reasons as to why Zod or Kara are suddenly comparable after a single hour on earth, but Clark is constantly held back having to 'recharge'. When Zod shows up... He's a threat Superman can't ignore. instantly. As soon as he's out of the Phantom Zone.

The key is always that Superman has flown more, had heat vision longer, knows how to work the powers that are second nature to him... while Zod is a superior hand to hand fighter and strategist because he HASN'T had powers his whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm going to disagree, and here's why. They have developed their fighting styles based on being non-solar-powered creatures. On the other hand, Superman trained for years on how to maximize efficient combat based on his skill set. You can slap Faora and Zod with the full compliment of Superman's powers, but they're not instantly going to have the proper instinct/reactions on how to use their powers based on circumstances.

For instance, if Zod and Faora got into a face-to-face clench, their first instinct might not be just to heat vision the guy. If a land-based creature like Doomsday tried to pin them to the ground, their first reaction might not be use their anti-gravity/flight skills to regain leverage. They might be thinking about things like maintaining footwork and balance, whereas Superman already knows how to take chances and gamble for heavy punches because he literally doesn't have to fight on his feet. It's little things like that that could swing the fight in Superman's favor that, sadly, most writers don't think about.

EDIT: In short, if you just gave Zod and Faora powers and told them to tussle with Superman, they would have to re-learn how to fight effectively, because now they are fighting under unfamiliar conditions. Superman's ready to go. They will hesitate, Superman will not.

That's true... but on the other hand, When Superman throws a super speed punch at them, they can see it coming. His strength doesnt' overwhelm them like it would others. Superman rarely has an enemy with all the same powers that can negate things like his strength and speed and stuff.

He should definitely have an edge in a fight with his power skills... but at the same time he's not used to skilled fighters being on his level either. There's a learning curve going both ways :P

Incredible Member

It's not just that Kai has been exposed to yellow sun the longest it's also the fact he grew up under a yellow sun. He's kryptonian body would have adapted to process the yellow sunlight more efficiently as he aged from baby to adulthood.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

No, he should be more experienced with the use of said powers compared to characters who in most cases just got them.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    He should definitely have an edge in a fight with his power skills... but at the same time he's not used to skilled fighters being on his level either. There's a learning curve going both ways :P
    Well, I guess it depends on when he fights a super-powered Kryptonian. If he already tussled with a guy like Mongul, I'd say he's ready to rumble with a full-powered Zod.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agree with this.

I tend to be in the minority, but I HATED the Byrne power creep concept. Mostly for JUST this situation. The idea that it took 18 years to gain powers is tedious to me As is the idea that he was this big football star... it all just feels wrong for the character.

In my mind. Yellow Sun = Powers. Red Sun= No powers... Yellow Sun = Back to Full Powers. Super boy, Super Baby, Super dog... whatever.... If you're kryptonian Yellow Sun gives you powers.

I don't need or want some long winded, convoluted reasons as to why Zod or Kara are suddenly comparable after a single hour on earth, but Clark is constantly held back having to 'recharge'. When Zod shows up... He's a threat Superman can't ignore. instantly. As soon as he's out of the Phantom Zone.

The key is always that Superman has flown more, had heat vision longer, knows how to work the powers that are second nature to him... while Zod is a superior hand to hand fighter and strategist because he HASN'T had powers his whole life.
    I absolutely agree with you. The power creep never made any sense. I'm also a fan of the original siegel and shuster idea of Kryptonians having a base level of power on their own world and it being a planet of Supermen. I like the idea of kryptonians having super intelligence, supervision, the ability to leap great distances, simply because they are Kryptonians and are more evolved than human beings.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    There is some truth to that statement in being the -last son of Krypton- With that being said, Superman should be far beyond any KryptonianÂ…. unique in power, power incarnate or, at least trending toward and growing into that cosmic condition. Also, (Ideally) he shouldn't be so depended on a Yellow Sun, especially since absorbing solar rays sine being a "babe in arms" his cellular structure should've and/or would've mutated to the point where he is self sustaining on a quantum level.
    It'd be interesting to see Superman no longer being dependent on solar energy to maintain his powers. It would be a good chance to his status quo and it'd give the chance to writers to find new, creative ways to explore his powers and accomplishments.