Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What's the plan for John Henry Irons?

I thought he was fine as Lana's boyfriend in Superwoman, but nothing special. I figured he'd have shown up in Bendis 's comics, but he's still MIA despite a few different opportunities to have him show up.

My guess there's a plan for Irons, because, with the character getting some renewed exposure in the Reign of the Supermen movie, DC ain't going to just let him sit in limbo for too long.

While being Superman's resident super-scientist & tech guy is pretty obvious, I think more could be done with him.

Any ideas?

Mighty Member

Is there a chance that he can't be used at the moment because there are future plans?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I’m hoping he shows up in Bendis’ books at some point. I have faith Bendis will treat him well. I’d love to see him get an ongoing written by Priest but that’s a pipe dream at best. For now I’d be happy seeing him just show up as a supporting character.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I thought he was fine as Lana's boyfriend in Superwoman, but nothing special. I figured he'd have shown up in Bendis 's comics, but he's still MIA despite a few different opportunities to have him show up.

My guess there's a plan for Irons, because, with the character getting some renewed exposure in the Reign of the Supermen movie, DC ain't going to just let him sit in limbo for too long.

While being Superman's resident super-scientist & tech guy is pretty obvious, I think more could be done with him.

Any ideas?
    I honestly wouldn't put it past them. I don't think DC ha plans for him.

I would throw him in Justice League Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I honestly wouldn't put it past them. I don't think DC ha plans for him.

I would throw him in Justice League Odyssey.
    Wouldn't Cyborg make him redundant? They're both tech-based African-Americans. They even have the same general disposition now that Victor's no longer a hot-head

Any ideas?
    Lana's boyfriend? When did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Lana's boyfriend? When did this happen?
    During the most recent Superwoman series that Phil Jiminez did with Rebirth, which promptly crashed and burned once Jiminez left and Superman Reborn retconned away the very premise

Basically the same plans that DC has for Lana : pretend that nothing happened to those characters since 2011 at the very least, probably since the original Death of Superman for JHI. Don't count on him resurfacing in a signifcant way any time soon. His niece is actually the Steel of Titans and while I don't know how long it'll last, especially because of the shenanigans around Ric Grayson, DC won't push another character with the same nickname.

Kon93

Actually this is the perfect time to use Steel.the reign of the superman movie is happening soon,and natasha is over at Titans,they could get some actual brand recognition going.

Outlaws,outsiders, YJ in place of red tornado, wherever, he works everywhere

who knows.. maybe.. just maybe.. he might show up in Black Lightning someday. I don't see him being used in the Justice League-related DC movies. I can see him being perceived as being too close to Cyborg.

who knows.. maybe.. just maybe.. he might show up in Black Lightning someday. I don't see him being used in the Justice League-related DC movies. I can see him being perceived as being too close to Cyborg.
    Sticking him on Black Lightning's new Outsiders team actually sounds pretty good. The current roster is Jefferson, Katana, Duke, and Cassandra Cain. They could use a tech guy and some Super-Family representation.

I would wish to see John Henry again. He is my favorite character from the Reing saga and realy liked to see him in active. Maybe the movie will convince Bendis of use him in some capacity.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Mighty Member

One is a Cyborg, one is a man in a power suit. Greatness was thrusted upon one, the other one created it. I think Steel will be just fine.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

During the most recent Superwoman series that Phil Jiminez did with Rebirth, which promptly crashed and burned once Jiminez left and Superman Reborn retconned away the very premise
    I wouldn't say a crash and burn without Jimenez since it pretty much struggled from the start and Perkins actually wrote more of that short series than he did. And oddly enough the switch happened during Reborn, where she kept everything he had going on.

Still didn't do John any favors though really. I dunno who said it, maybe millions of people, but you have to write supporting characters as if they're their own stars and just happening to appear in a book. John didn't feel like anything other than support imo.