Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Master Hero Vladimir

This might be a controversial opinion, but I honestly don't think DC should ever explain in a detailed manner how Superman's powers work. If they did, there is the risk of making Superman's powers less interesting or making them too bizarre or convoluted. It would ruin suspension of disbelief. Really, the only explanation that Superman's powers need is escapism, plain and simple. That's why I can accept Superman getting new powers over time, as long as they make sense within the established narrative and the authors can find creative new uses for them. An example: Superman could only use the solar flare once and he had to wait for a while before his powers recharged. Then, in Man of Steel, he released a weaker, but more controlled version of the solar flare to take Rogol Zaar by surprise. The only limitations Superman's powers have are the imaginations of writers and artists who work on the character and his stories and constantly change things up to keep the narrative interesting to keep readers on their toes.
    Last edited by HeroVladimir93; 10-05-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Grammar check.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    This might be a controversial opinion, but I honestly don't think DC should ever explain in a detailed manner how Superman's powers work. If they did, there is the risk of making Superman's powers less interesting or making them too bizarre or convoluted. It would ruin suspension of disbelief. Really, the only explanation that Superman's powers need is escapism, plain and simple. That's why I can accept Superman getting new powers over time, as long as they make sense within the establish narrative and the authors can find creative new uses for them. An example, Superman could only use the solar flare once and he had to wait for a while before his powers recharged. Then, in Man of Steel, he released a weaker, but more controlled version of the solar flare to take Rogol Zaar by surprise. The only limitations Superman's powers have are the imaginations of writers and artists who work on the character and his stories and constantly change things up to keep the narrative interesting to keep readers on their toes.
    I am so against that. I hate when they just pull some new power out of thin air. It was a huge problem back in the Silver Age when he was always getting dumb new powers like super ventriloquism and such. He should have set powers and thats all.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am so against that. I hate when they just pull some new power out of thin air. It was a huge problem back in the Silver Age when he was always getting dumb new powers like super ventriloquism and such. He should have set powers and thats all.
    Yes, but that was the Silver Age. It was a different era and audiences had different tastes back then. Like I said, if Superman is to ever get new powers, those new powers have to make sense within the established narrative, otherwise authors are just power-boosting him for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    This might be a controversial opinion, but I honestly don't think DC should ever explain in a detailed manner how Superman's powers work. If they did, there is the risk of making Superman's powers less interesting or making them too bizarre or convoluted. It would ruin suspension of disbelief. Really, the only explanation that Superman's powers need is escapism, plain and simple. That's why I can accept Superman getting new powers over time, as long as they make sense within the established narrative and the authors can find creative new uses for them. An example: Superman could only use the solar flare once and he had to wait for a while before his powers recharged. Then, in Man of Steel, he released a weaker, but more controlled version of the solar flare to take Rogol Zaar by surprise. The only limitations Superman's powers have are the imaginations of writers and artists who work on the character and his stories and constantly change things up to keep the narrative interesting to keep readers on their toes.
    Superman's greatest potential is still yet to be fully developed and fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That's because the Silver Age was NOT done right! Super Ventriloquism is more than theoretically possible, with someone that has absolutely precise perfect pitch and able to reproduce in harmonic perfection. However, to do that in the void of airless space or an atmosphere that where sound is greatly obstructed could present a challenge from a physical sense, which leads me to believe that "Super V" is not only of a physical aspect, but mental one as well.

"The Silver Age" born out of the "The Atomic Age" was the right idea - but horribly executed - Mainly because of slipshod, sloppy inconsistencies of the character and character development that was chockfull of numerous book to book continuity errors from writer to writer as maintaining focus was the biggest problem Which led to the downfall of revamping and rebooting although in my opinion re-booting on that 1986 - level - was not necessary.

Just like a guitarist needs a tuning of scale of - E A D G B E - to play a song, so did the Silver Age needed such a scale guide for proper progression to build and to keep it on track.

Ideally, Superman should be a linear work in progress in steps and stages, (i.e. like a child growing up). A being that is constantly growing in power just like the character started off to be in 1938.

Superman, in going from leaping tall buildings in a single bound, to flying; at first subsonic speeds, then graduating to Supersonic - Mach speeds, evolving to Near light speed, then ascending to Warp and Hyper Warp speeds etc.. Simply by alternating gravity fields or being able to repel gravity altogether which is how "Dark Energy" works in expanding the universe..

Superman Breathing - being able to hold his breath for hours, then days, then weeks, to months, to years, to the point where his body cell have become so oxygenated he no longer needs to breathe air and can exist in any type of atmosphere, or lack there of (VOID)

Superman power - Power absorbing cells charged at first (1938) near the main sequence star, with the higher the wave length (color EM spectrum - Low Infra-Red to High Ultra Violet) the greater charge and absorption rate.

After being significantly solar saturated and constantly bombarded with solar fusion neutrinos from the sun that not only radiate in all directions that blanket the earth continuously both, day and night, but they pass through solid objects no matter how dense - Earth and all Planets included.

Superman's uniquely radiated and vastly stimulated cells have so evolved / mutated from constant and concentrated bombard from these particles, as to not only absorb, but actually collect these exotic electron charges as it has started a proton-proton chain reaction on a microcellular level. So, Superman no longer needs direct sunlight stimulation allowing for greater variety of radiation absorption which includes everything from normal background radiation and 0-Point, Radio to Gamma Rays and hyper cosmic ray / Dark energy beyond.

Same goes for the rest of his powers, vision; telescopic, microscopic x-ray, eventually even seeing through lead and the entire "EM Spectrum" being able to fine tune to his needs. Heat vision, which is probably microwave vision although you wouldn't see the beams.

Limitless..