Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Its bothering me because i've studied in marketing and I see the bigger picture. You surely know about compulsive or impulsive buyers, right? That's where the unethical part happen.
    Again, not unethical. It bothers you because you think it's greedy, and you could argue that it is. But it's not unethical.

To prove it to be unethical, you'd have to prove that the vast majority of people who purchase comics, particularly new #1's, only do so out of impaired judgement that publishers take willful advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Again, not unethical. It bothers you because you think it's greedy, and you could argue that it is. But it's not unethical.

To prove it to be unethical, you'd have to prove that the vast majority of people who purchase comics, particularly new #1's, only do so out of impaired judgement that publishers take willful advantage of.
    Wait, so there's a problem only if the majority is affected? Wow. I'm done.
    Last edited by Magneto; 09-24-2018 at 10:51 AM.

BANNED

Its bothering me because i've studied in marketing and I see the bigger picture. You surely know about compulsive or impulsive buyers, right? That's where the unethical part happen. Relaunching increasingly exploit these kind of behaviors.
    There is no doubt that it is exploitative. What's more, it is designed to impeed the back market for books, but saturating the market with new titles and varients that make artificial raretities.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    There is no doubt that it is exploitative. What's more, it is designed to impeed the back market for books, but saturating the market with new titles and varients that make artificial raretities.
    Thank you, exactly.

Apparently even West Coast Avengers was too confusing for Marvel. The new issue #2 has LGY#104 on the cover (issue 1 lacked any legacy number, at least on the digital edition). The previous volume lasted 102 issues, so fair enough, right? Wrong. It had a four issue mini before becoming an ongoing, so the LGY# should be 108.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Decided to delete.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 09-24-2018 at 11:08 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Marvel and DC are not particularly accessible - to a degree I'll accept they never have been (and I started reading comics in the 80s), but the answer "the internet can explain" is not I think adequate, when you consider the insane proliferation of cross-overs and events, and the multiplication of titles. Take the X-Men titles from 2011 to 2014, with their multiple titles and bewildering continuity. You shouldn't have to consult google and wikipedia every time you want to make sense of a disjointed title. That doesn't strike me as a "fun" way to read. The relative lack of self contained stories makes a single title very difficult to read, and by "difficult", I don't mean it can't be done - I just mean it's annoying.

But there we are - I guess I'm getting off topic.

I do accept that with legacy numbering this should in theory be a bit easier, but it's a genuine pain for a reader to try and track back, particularly in the most intense periods of proliferating titles and continual relaunches. I don't think that can really be denied.

It wasn't at all off topic. That is exactly my major point. It just makes my eyes roll over when I read those long convuluted discussions on obscure continuity problems. And every few months, they start over with #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Apparently even West Coast Avengers was too confusing for Marvel. The new issue #2 has LGY#104 on the cover (issue 1 lacked any legacy number, at least on the digital edition). The previous volume lasted 102 issues, so fair enough, right? Wrong. It had a four issue mini before becoming an ongoing, so the LGY# should be 108.
    Marvel's been pretty consistent about not counting minis in the legacy numbering scheme, except for Venom, but that's a totally different case.

BANNED

Wait, so there's a problem only if the majority is affected? Wow. I'm done.
    You're also wrong, but that's ok.

My point is that the majority isn't actually affected, that because new #1's rub you the wrong way, that you're imagining an entire industry being supported by mindless addicts rather than, you know, people who just like comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    It's not impeding anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Marvel's been pretty consistent about not counting minis in the legacy numbering scheme, except for Venom, but that's a totally different case.
    Oh, really?
    http://www.comichron.com/faq/legacyn...gatmarvel.html

Amazing Spider-Man counted the Secret Wars Renew Your Vows mini (which is odd, since no other Secret Wars stuff was counted, not even Thors).
    Deadpool counts two minis before his longest running volume.
    Iron Fist counts three minis.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You're also wrong, but that's ok.

My point is that the majority isn't actually affected, that because new #1's rub you the wrong way, that you're imagining an entire industry being supported by mindless addicts rather than, you know, people who just like comics.
    How am I wrong if that's exactly what you're saying? You said that the majority had to be affected. Which is what you're saying again.

If you think compulsive and impulsive buyers are ''mindless addicts'', I have nothing more to say. Also, you can like comics and be a ''mindless addict'' if that's the term you like to use. You really think Marvel relaunch comics because people like comics? Common now.

Good day.
    Last edited by Magneto; 09-24-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Oh, really?
    http://www.comichron.com/faq/legacyn...gatmarvel.html

Amazing Spider-Man counted the Secret Wars Renew Your Vows mini (which is odd, since no other Secret Wars stuff was counted, not even Thors).
    Deadpool counts two minis before his longest running volume.
    Iron Fist counts three minis.
    Yeah, really. well, kind of really. Cable, Dr Strange, Deadpool, Black Panther have all had minis that were published when their regular books weren't being put out. At the very last, it can be said there appears to be NO set procedure for what is and what isn't cpunted.

And Punisher HAS counted minis, but Silver Suyrfer has not, EXCEPT for a single one-shot.

You were right that it wasn't usual procudure to skip minis but it's also not usual to count them either.

BANNED

Most collectors will always buy issue number 1.
    A certain kind of fan will buy anything with their favourites in it.
    Is it also immoral to put out seven different X-books?

Fantastic Member

Do we know why they haven't Legacy Numbered "Champions"?