Default Comcast wins bid to buy Sky

In some measure of revenge for their defeat by Disney in the Fox acquisition, Comcast have apparently just won the bid against Fox to buy the UK broadcaster Sky https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45615441

I don’t know what the implications will be, although I’m a bit concerned, given Comcast’s apparent reputation.

BANNED

Much like the FOX bid of Disney over Comcast, there is no desirable outcome here. A win either way is a loss for customers

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

This purchase gives Comcast a foothold in the telecommunications market in the UK. I think that's all they want.

It is Comcast's way of thumbing their nose at Disney. The main goal of Disney acquiring Fox was to gain control of Sky. Disney didn't really need more film making assets or the Marvel characters.
    It would have been cheaper to build their own facilities and just buy the licensing rights to the characters. Broadcasting to the UK was something they didn't have. Now Fox is sort of useless
    to Disney.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It is Comcast's way of thumbing their nose at Disney. The main goal of Disney acquiring Fox was to gain control of Sky. Disney didn't really need more film making assets or the Marvel characters.
    It would have been cheaper to build their own facilities and just buy the licensing rights to the characters. Broadcasting to the UK was something they didn't have. Now Fox is sort of useless
    to Disney.
    Disney is building a streaming empire and wanted Fox's properties for that. They wanted bigger control over Hulu (ownership) and wanted to build a library for this. They also added a bunch of new IP's to what they will now control which Disney always likes to use.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/08/med...ngs/index.html

Sky really wasn't that big a deal for them given why they went after Fox.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Disney is building a streaming empire and wanted Fox's properties for that. They wanted bigger control over Hulu (ownership) and wanted to build a library for this. They also added a bunch of new IP's to what they will now control which Disney always likes to use.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/08/med...ngs/index.html

Sky really wasn't that big a deal for them given why they went after Fox.
    Yeah it was Fox as in Rupert Murdoch who wanted Sky to build his separate media empire not Disney, Disney was just helping him to ease the Fox Deal along.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Plus Comcast needed something here. Back in January they went after a studio and they were rebuffed by them who said if they sold , it would be to Viacom. The company was looking to expand itself to other avenues given how cable companies are losing to streaming. Sky was a last ditch move for them to win.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.