Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Earthers

Default Flat Earthers

So I've been reading up on the Flat Earth movement recently. I find it fascinating that in an age where almost everyone has accesses to all human knowledge in the palm of their hand a seeming growing number of people insist the Earth is flat. I've watched a few Flat Earther vids like this gem. I find the entire phenomenon fascinating.

I tend to think that most people are just in for the joke. You maybe have a core of nutjobs who think it's true but it has to be a small minority.

Little note, ancient Greeks already knew that the Earth wasn't flat. And while he was at it, Eratosthenes even managed to calculate the circumference of the planet. (famous story of the wells)

2200 years ago.

Please, try to be reasonable flat earthers lol.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-22-2018 at 09:33 PM.

earthflat.JPG

...I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I tend to think that most people are just in for the joke. You maybe have a core of nutjobs who think it's true but it has to be a small minority.

Little note, ancient Greeks already knew that the Earth wasn't flat. And while he was at it, Eratosthenes even managed to calculate the circumference of the planet. (famous story of the wells)

2200 years ago.

Please, try to be reasonable flat earthers lol.
    I didn't watch the videos but I've also always thought most people in the Flat Earth Society are just in it as a joke although there is a core that are serious. I think the comparison to evolution is strong since people who believe there is a flat earth often get compared to people who believe there's no such thing as evolution, the only difference being the sheer numbers of people involved.
    Power with Girl is better.

Some people think it's fun, some people like the attention and some people are just that dumb.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Most of these fringe theories rely on the belief in large complex conspiracies, that in no way could go on for as long as they do.

Well, pretty fantastic that in this day and age no one never managed to take a photo of the edge of the world then lol.

I'm pretty sure this started as a joke that some conspiracy nuts decided to take too seriously, and most everyone else is just shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    earthflat.JPG

...I mean...
    This really made me laugh.

It's sort of like an atheist who's caught in traffic yelling, "God damn it!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    This really made me laugh.

It's sort of like an atheist who's caught in traffic yelling, "God damn it!"
    I mean, I do that. But it's more of a learned behavior ("catchphrase") than any serious belief that "God" is going to damn someone/something.

That and, I think, if I were to type out the phrase without really thinking about it beforehand, it would be "goddamn".

I once had a flat earther as an Uber driver who tried to convince me that the Earth was flat (naturally) and that everyone employed at NASA were freemasons. And still I gave him five stars.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Found this recently. As an extra funny bonus it had an ad for First Man in front of it.

People have known the Earth wasn't flat for so long as people have been able to sail bodies of water past the horizon, it takes willful ignorance to be a modern flat earther since anyone with a camera and powerful balloon can take pictures high enough to see the curvature
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-23-2018 at 10:46 PM.

There are plenty of more mainstream beliefs which are equally preposterous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    earthflat.JPG

...I mean...
    LMFAO. (10 char)