Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat Earthers

Mighty Member

I heard somewhere once, I think it was on Skeptoid, about how a conspiracy theorist's brain functions on a more primal kind of instinct. Most people evolved to not be nervous about the world around them, because we are not longer generally the victims of predators and what not. So the modern extension of the primal instinct is to be concerned that everyone, the government, authority, etc., is out to get you or whatever. And that kind of specific aggressive lack of trust takes you down the path of not believing any established normal explanation of things.

I bet that post WWII and in the 50s, if people were polled, there were less conspiracy theorists than in the post-Vietnam era, since that seems like when the general public's trust in government, leaders, etc., really began to evaporate. Maybe not, but seems like there would be. In the 50s and leading up to Vietnam, I think people were more concerned about other countries/communism/etc as the threat, and less so their own leaders.

Most of these are low level, dung-eating members of the Evangelical Christian Death Cult. The same types hoping for the apocalypse from the Fat Nixon.

I laugh at them.

All-New Member

I think that its entrancing that during a time where nearly everybody has gets to all human learning in the palm of their hand an appearing to be developing number of individuals demand the Earth is level...

http://southeasthobbies.com.au/
    Last edited by Edward1122; 10-31-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    There are plenty of more mainstream beliefs which are equally preposterous.
    These people are the only ones I consider to be more stupid than anti-vaccers, although that group is much more dangerous than the flat Earthers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Edward1122 View Post
    I think that its entrancing that during a time where nearly everybody has gets to all human learning in the palm of their hand an appearing to be developing number of individuals demand the Earth is level...
    If there's one thing the internet is good at it is helping people with non-mainstream ideas find like-minded souls and increase their... radicalisation by putting them in a ideological bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    These people are the only ones I consider to be more stupid than anti-vaccers, although that group is much more dangerous than the flat Earthers.
    There are many beliefs as stupid as anti-vaccers - but that's up there.

As an aside, you might like this site: http://whatstheharm.net/

I've found flat earthers, Antisemitic flat earthers. but now I've found transphobic antisemitic flat earthers.