Default Anyone remember Paul Dini's Zatanna series?

I started getting back into comics around 2010. It had been awhile since I followed anything so trying to avoid the main DC books and all their crossovers I started to follow only two books.

Bryan Q Miller's Batgirl and Paul Dini's Zatanna.

I had so much fun with these two books that I was crushed when the New52 happened shortly after and got rid of both of these titles.

I loved how Zatanna especially didn't make me have to learn a lot of back story and history and how the threats weren't earth shattering every issue.

I'm sure it wasnt one of the highest selling books but it gave me a good time and that's all that matters.

Any other fans of this short but satisfying solo run of Zatanna?

Definitely! Really enjoyed reading it, and I was disappointed that it was cut short. But still a really fun book .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, I had a great time with it. DC realised a trade of the whole thing a while back and I bought it immediately. Always wished Dini would come back and write her again.

I've been reading comics for 40+ years so I've accumulated a lot of "favorite" series, and I'm not sure where Dini's ZATANNA falls on that list but it's definitely on it. It really look me by surprise too. I'm not especially a big fan of Zatanna but Dini crafted an incredibly enjoyable series.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I thought it was a great series. I loved that Brother Night became Zatanna's arch-nemesis. Has he been seen since the New 52 or Rebirth?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed the series. I like her supporting characters. I wasn't thrilled with Brother Night and wished she'd more time to develop more villains (especially villainesses).

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Dini's series was excellent. All the books Dini wrote for DC have been enjoyable. His run on Detective, Streets of Gotham, Gotham City Sirens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I thought it was a great series. I loved that Brother Night became Zatanna's arch-nemesis. Has he been seen since the New 52 or Rebirth?
    I don't think he has, but he did pop up in Justice League Action (in an episode featuring Zatanna and penned by Paul Dini, in fact) .

That was a fun time to be reading Batman. His string of done-in-ones on Detective and work with Dustin Nguyen I really enjoyed.

I thought it was an okay series, but it wasnt on the same level as the Seven Soldiers mini that had come out a few years before it. I liked it, but it only stayed on our pull list because my wife loved the series.

I think Zee's book, along with Booster Gold and Power Girl, should've been relaunched with the reboot. All three were consistent, quality titles with solid lead characters. Shame that none of them have been used to their potential since then.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought it was an okay series, but it wasnt on the same level as the Seven Soldiers mini that had come out a few years before it. I liked it, but it only stayed on our pull list because my wife loved the series.

I think Zee's book, along with Booster Gold and Power Girl, should've been relaunched with the reboot. All three were consistent, quality titles with solid lead characters. Shame that none of them have been used to their potential since then.
    I'm with you, I was a big fan of all three of those titles (PG primarily with Palmiotti, Gray and Conner at the helm) and sad to see them go.

Still, none were sales darlings and if I recall correctly, Dini was really busy at the time hence Adam Beechen filling in.

I'd love a solo from all three again, but time will tell if that happens.

I'm curious, what elements from the Dini run would everyone like to see return should she get another solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I think the issue would be that their solo's, as they were, would've conflicted with their New 52 status'.

It was in Comixology sale a few months ago.

Got it. Really enjoyed it, so much so that a got another couple of Zatanna’s trades in subsequent sales..not round to reading those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    I started getting back into comics around 2010. It had been awhile since I followed anything so trying to avoid the main DC books and all their crossovers I started to follow only two books.

Bryan Q Miller's Batgirl and Paul Dini's Zatanna.

I had so much fun with these two books that I was crushed when the New52 happened shortly after and got rid of both of these titles.

I loved how Zatanna especially didn't make me have to learn a lot of back story and history and how the threats weren't earth shattering every issue.

I'm sure it wasnt one of the highest selling books but it gave me a good time and that's all that matters.

Any other fans of this short but satisfying solo run of Zatanna?

Both that and the Batgirl run were great. I wish both were longer series (Zatanna penned by Dini, of course).....Dini had Zatanna's character down. The only other time I enjoyed reading about her was during Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers mini-series.

Another comic from that time period I liked a lot, but went completely under the radar, was The Web by Angela Robinson & Roger Robinson. Angela Robinson left after issue #4, then Matthew Sturges came in. It was a real good book that was related to the Bat-titles (Batgirl/Stephanie Brown makes an appearance)....I doubt this book will ever be collected, though. Sales were too low. I think they did a tpb of the first 4-5 issues back in the day.