Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Bob Iger diversity

During Disney's 2021 shareholder meeting, Disney CEO Bob Chapek focused on Disney's commitment to increasing representation and inclusion throughout The House of Mouse. Chapek announced that Disney is creating two councils -- one focused on Diversity/Inclusion company-wide and one focused on creating Diverse/Inclusive content -- to achieve this goal.

What's with the agenda pushing? Minorities in stories are fine, but why can't they just tell good stories period? There's been plenty of movies about strong minorities/women in the past and present. We know we can have stories about strong women/minorities as well as stories about strong caucasian characters too. Like as a male,I enjoyed Captain Marvel a great deal. She's cool and has awesome powers. But instead the message becomes "I hope I can help play a character that women can look up too. Men, sorry, Carol isn't for you". You didn't see RDJ when he was playing Iron Man saying "I hope i can help by playing a character that white male billionaires can look up to." Enough agenda pushing. Just tell a good story and I'll be sold.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Minorities in stories are fine, but why can't they just tell good stories period?
    What's wrong with telling good stories that include minorities?

Ultimate Member

During Disney's 2021 shareholder meeting, Disney CEO Bob Chapek focused on Disney's commitment to increasing representation and inclusion throughout The House of Mouse. Chapek announced that Disney is creating two councils -- one focused on Diversity/Inclusion company-wide and one focused on creating Diverse/Inclusive content -- to achieve this goal.

What's with the agenda pushing? Minorities in stories are fine, but why can't they just tell good stories period? There's been plenty of movies about strong minorities/women in the past and present. We know we can have stories about strong women/minorities as well as stories about strong caucasian characters too. Like as a male,I enjoyed Captain Marvel a great deal. She's cool and has awesome powers. But instead the message becomes "I hope I can help play a character that women can look up too. Men, sorry, Carol isn't for you". You didn't see RDJ when he was playing Iron Man saying "I hope i can help by playing a character that white male billionaires can look up to." Enough agenda pushing. Just tell a good story and I'll be sold.
    Because during phase 1 and 2, PoC and female led movies where blocked from being made.

Plus, why do you assume a good story can't focus on diversity?

Because most stories were prevented from being told if they were diverse. Good poc and female led stories often aren't told. We get a few this past decade and that's not enough. They can focus on good stories, but also be more diverse when they refused to be for so long.

Astonishing Member

I honestly don't understand what you are talking about.

Under their previous systems, many stories about racially and ethnically diverse characters and subject matter weren’t given a chance to get made simply because there weren’t enough white people in them or executives didn’t want to tell those kinds of stories. Telling “good stories period” is their goal, its just that they are focused on telling different kinds of good stories. Stories about white people didn’t make up 90% of the stories they told simply because they were better than stories about people who weren’t white.

Invincible Member

This was never the message of the Capt Marvel movie. And the filmmakers never said it was. However, there's dishonest folks out there with their own agendas who want to pretend otherwise because they have either political or monetary reasons for doing so.

And Robert was just happy to have a job when he signed on for Iron Man.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because during phase 1 and 2, PoC and female led movies where blocked from being made.

Plus, why do you assume a good story can't focus on diversity?
    Do you have a source that says female led Marvel movies were blocked from being made? I doubt Feige would have vetoed that. A good story can focus on diversity. I mean with Ms. Marvel, which I'm looking forward to, should focus on her development as a superhero. I want to see her fight a villain, meet one of the Avengers. Yeah her Muslim heritage should be touched on but more superhero stuff since it's a Marvel show. If you want to tell a story about a Muslim girl in America, well that should be a different movie and with a character not named Kamela Kahn.

Astonishing Member

Do you have a source that says female led Marvel movies were blocked from being made? I doubt Feige would have vetoed that. A good story can focus on diversity. I mean with Ms. Marvel, which I'm looking forward to, should focus on her development as a superhero. I want to see her fight a villain, meet one of the Avengers. Yeah her Muslim heritage should be touched on but more superhero stuff since it's a Marvel show. If you want to tell a story about a Muslim girl in America, well that should be a different movie and with a character not named Kamela Kahn.

What? Why?

The president of Marvel comics, Ike Perlmutter repeatedly blocked attempts at making a Black Widow and Captain Marvel movie because they were about women. This changed when Marvel Studios started operating independently from Marvel Comics.

Also, have you read a Ms Marvel comic before? It’s literally a story about a Muslim girl in America.

Ultimate Member

It wasn't Feige. He wants diversity. It was Ike Perlmutter

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It wasn't Feige. He wants diversity. It was Ike Perlmutter
    Wasn't there a battle of wills between Feige and Perlmutter over the direction of Marvel? How did Feige win out?

Wasn't there a battle of wills between Feige and Perlmutter over the direction of Marvel? How did Feige win out?
    Avengers made over a billion dollars and Feige told Iger that he would walk if he had to report to Perlmutter anymore.

Ultimate Member

You really need to read up on Kamala Khan then.

Because her story is literally about being Muslim superhero in the US.

And frankly, any story about a Muslim superhero in the US that doesn’t touch on their challenges in the US is absolute garbage. Let’s not pretend to ignore just how much bigotry and general bias there is towards Muslims in the states.

Just tell good stories now because everything is perfectly equal now? Just looking at the big two. How many Superhero movies over the last 20 years with women leads? Catwoman, Electra, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman. How many female superhero movies are in the pipeline that isn't Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel? Just 1 Black Widow. How many superhero movies over the last 20 years with a Black lead? Blade, Steel, Black Panther. How many movies are in the pipeline to be made staring black lead not named BP or Blade? Just 1 Static. Okay now over the last 20 years with how many superhero movies with White Male Leads, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, Logan, Shazam, etc How many are in the pipeline? Venom, Morbuis, Flash, Deadpool, etc

The system is not equal but hey lets do nothing different and hope things get better
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-10-2021 at 02:34 AM.