Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Wolverine was kind of ruined by giving him an origin period. He was such a better character when his origin was a mystery. Let's not even talk about that horrible Loeb story about Wolverine being some wolf mutant.

Add in Nightcrawler too. That useless retcon about his father being some ancient demon mutant did nothing to advance the character.
    I think I read that Joe Q or somebody said back then that they knew that the movie people wanted to do the origin of Wolverine in an upcoming film. So they decided they'd better do a version in the comics first.

Invincible Member

Not sure if her origin tweaks hurts her, but Carol Danver's history is really convoluted.

A comparable DC character is probably Hawkman. And as others have mentioned Donna Troy even moreso that Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I recognize the issues with the retcon. That being said, I do think there are some positives. It makes Mjolnir all that more unique. There are other Uru hammers in the universe, but Mjolnir can never be replicated, even by Odin.
    He did indeed make an equal of it in Stormbreaker hence why I really disliked what it did to its relationship to odin even more so

but you are correct in that it does increase its unique quality

I don't no about hurt, but the non-sequitur declaration that X-23 is genetically 50% Sarah Kinney at the end of the Adamantium agenda, makes no sense, has no explanation, has no promise of explanation, and seems to be completely pointless.

Sarah Kinney was hired by Sutter to in his own words "provide them with the original specimen"
    They were attempting the cloning with a damaged, but mostly intact DNA sample, with most of the damage being in the Y chromosome, which they were fixing by mapping the damaged areas to wolverines genome and rebuilding it on the most basic level.
    Sutter made it clear he wanted no deviations from the original specimen, when the one deviation that did happen was was proposed, that of duplicating the existing X chromosome, which was done for the explicit purpose of bypassing the genetic damage while still ending up with a genetic duplicate. (Technically genetic twin, not clone)
    Add on the somewhat misogynistic attitudes expressed in that conversation.
    Add the fact if there was no problem just splicing in foreign DNA, it defeats the point of making her female in the first place.

Then there's the mess of personal issues Sarah Kinney would have had with combining her own DNA into the project.

It also undermines any themes of X-23 grappling with her nature as she has been provided with the external validation of being a "real girl" now; and the themes of her current ongoing which seems to be focusing on her existence as a clone.

It's just completely incompatible on every level.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 09-25-2018 at 06:33 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I have to say Wolverine is poster boy. Hama did very well, much of the time in concert with Lobdell, Nicieza, and so on. But Wolverine's convoluted memory was always a trip hazard. But the time it had been mined a few times over, we got James Howlett, the angel of death, uh... Dog people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I have to say Wolverine is poster boy. Hama did very well, much of the time in concert with Lobdell, Nicieza, and so on. But Wolverine's convoluted memory was always a trip hazard. But the time it had been mined a few times over, we got James Howlett, the angel of death, uh... Dog people ...
    Ahhh, wolverine...

There is a reason I have lost all capacity to give a #@$% about that character.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

iMan 42s

Ghost Rider because post international Ghost Riders it stopped making sense.

Zarathos and Noble Kale are emulations but objects of power can store spirits of vengeance or spirits can be formed into Spirits of Vengeance. Simple. A little complicated but it works.

Now Spirits of Vengeance happen, just because? I have no idea and Mephisto nor a Satanist should be able to just be a GR.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Wolverine easily. Origin was passable, I didn't find it great, but it wasn't awful. The angel of death fights were terrible though, and I would really like the ability to block all that Romulus crap from my memory.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Oh definitely Star Lord

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

Zarathos and Noble Kale are emulations but objects of power can store spirits of vengeance or spirits can be formed into Spirits of Vengeance. Simple. A little complicated but it works.

Now Spirits of Vengeance happen, just because? I have no idea and Mephisto nor a Satanist should be able to just be a GR.
    Oh man poor Ghost Rider. It is just a steaming pile of confusion at this point. The whole Noble Kale stuff was not great to begin with, but everything after that has just been so bad.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Marvel Wiki lists the original Star-Lord and the current Star-Lord as from different universes.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Marvel Wiki lists the original Star-Lord and the current Star-Lord as from different universes.
    In the long run, that doesn't works. Specially if you mix universes usually.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

Didn't the last Johnny Blaze series turn him into an angel?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I recognize the issues with the retcon. That being said, I do think there are some positives. It makes Mjolnir all that more unique. There are other Uru hammers in the universe, but Mjolnir can never be replicated, even by Odin.
    Meh. It could be replaced and improved upon... like everything else.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quicksilver + Scarlet Witch are the only characters whose retcons are actually annoying and damage stories involving them for me. Even if they just set their parents as Natalya + Magneto, that'd be fine, but trying to erase him from their lineage takes away some of what makes them interesting (and makes House of M, Decimation, etc. pointless.)