Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Best superhero costumes

Male superheroes
    Batman: nearly impossible to get wrong.
    Superman: iconic
    Spider-Man: both his standard and black costume are amazing.

Female
    Miss Marvel(the new one): tells you everything you need to know about the character.
    Cat woman: again actually tells you something about the character. She’s the prime example of how a costume can be sexy but not sleepy.

Males:
    Spider-Man. The red and blue, with black webs is the best, IMO. It has worked on every level one can think of: comics, movies and video games.

Doctor Doom: The most bad-ass looking villain, IMO. His costume is perfect. That silver armour with the green tunic, along with the green hood and cape? It sucks that there hasn't been a proper live-action movie starring Doctor Doom yet. He looks awesome in the comics and video games, though. If that Sideshow Collectibles Legendary statue is to be believed...Doctor Doom would look fantastics in a practical (read: non-CGI or CGI-enhanced) look.

Gambit: The 90s Jim Lee designed costume with the pink top, tan trench coat and awesome silver boots and kneepad combo. When I see Gambit, all I see is cool. Damn I wish there could be a proper Gambit movie done.

Flash: Wally West red costume with the golden boots and gloves. It bothers me that the show is going so heavy with the "realistic" look, when the iconic look would be soo much cooler. The movie look seemed really stupid, in still pictures, but when I watched it in the movies...it looked pretty good and made sense in the movie. I am still hoping that they go with a fanatsy-style spandex look eventually and just explain away wear-and-tear on the Speed Force.

Females:

Dark Phoenix: Red with golden gloves, leggings and sash. Perfection.

Rogue: Jim Lee designed green and yellow suit with the bomber jacket. Rogue has never looked more awesome.

Wonder Woman: I hate to say it, but I can't think of a better look for Wonder Woman than the movie look. I always found the comic book designed one-piece to not only be truly iconic and sexy. I didn't think they'd be able to design something for the movie that would top that one, but man did they ever top the comic book look. I can't imagine wanting a Wonder Woman look to be anything else, anymore.

Harley Quinn: The Paul Dini designed one from the animated show. Sure, the Suicide Squad look is hot, but the red and black suit is pure awesome. She looks crazy, agile, and stunning all at the same time. The design is a stroke of genius.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

^Great choices and rationalization, Arfguy. I think Gambit and Rogue's designs especially get thrown on the heap of "90s cliché looks" too quickly. The headsock, trenchcoat, and jacket ended up being overdone as the 90s progressed, but they weren't yet when these two costumes debuted. I do prefer some of Rogue's earlier outfits for their practical simplicity (and I like her best in a green+black colour scheme), but I do think her Jim Lee design was very cool.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    ^Great choices and rationalization, Arfguy. I think Gambit and Rogue's designs especially get thrown on the heap of "90s cliché looks" too quickly. The headsock, trenchcoat, and jacket ended up being overdone as the 90s progressed, but they weren't yet when these two costumes debuted. I do prefer some of Rogue's earlier outfits for their practical simplicity (and I like her best in a green+black colour scheme), but I do think her Jim Lee design was very cool.
    Thanks, yo. What is especially telling to me is...even to this day when I go to conventions, I see more of the Jim Lee designed Rogue cosplay than any other type. I honestly can't even chalk up her bomber jacket look to be an easy cosplay, because you still have to figure out a way to design the yellow and green spandex look underneath with the boots and gloves. I don't know...I just think, if it can be done in live-action and doesn't look stupid, that's a pretty damned good costume.

I have also seen enough Jim Lee designed Gambit cosplay to know that not only can it be done...but it looks awesome. There are some great costumes in comics that don't translate well to live action IMO (Batman being the best example), but if a costume can basically be lifted from the comics and be created in 3D and in motion, that is a perfect costume.

Always loved Aurora and Northstar original costume.

Simple but very effective design.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

MALES
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan): an iconic look that’s never gotten old for me
    Daredevil: the all red suit is all great
    Captain America: another legendary look, right down to the buccaneer boots

FEMALES
    Black Widow: no one works a black leather bodysuit better than Natasha
    Wonder Woman: a longtime sensational look for Diana
    Elektra: the kind of outfit only the most lethal assassin wears
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Seconding Jim Lee's Rogue. It was the first costume to come to mind when opening the thread.

Spider-Man's is timeless.

I really like McKelvie's main America Chavez design.

Ms. Marvel's (Carol Danvers) original look, that was updated to cover the belly is my favorite of hers.

Scarlet Witch's main look screams Classic Avengers, and has been beautifully rendered my certain artists (*cough*Coipel*cough*).

I should also state that it is very much possible to make amazing looking costume designs these days. As in, all the cool designs have not been used up.

Case in point: I love the designs for Spider-Gwen and Silk.