Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    He's being locked in a dungeon and paid not to write. Marvel have him dominated mind body and soul.
    Is that what the new Soule astonishing x-men was about?

Claremont’s reaction to the Chuck and Lilandra Gen modified kid and Charles taking Fantomex body are LOL.

“OFGS”

BANNED

Let CC write New Mutants again.

They have been in Limbo too long.

It's cool Claremont responded. That was nice of him because he's not really active on social media. I've met him a few times in person at conventions. He's not very big on that sort of thing. But he's a great guy who loves interacting with fans. He also has a real playful side too.

That said, I honestly worry about him writing anything associated with Cyclops. He has shown time and again that he never got over the editorial decision to have Cyclops leave Maddie. And he's held that against the character for years. It's the sole reason why he favors Jean with Logan. Never mind the fact that's a terrible reason to want too people to be together, as though things like chemistry, compatibility, and shared interests don't mean anything in meaningful romance. Even with the recent events surrounding Cyclops and his time-displaced self, I worry that he'll keep trying to punish him for what happened years ago and that'll only harm more characters in the long run.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    It's cool Claremont responded. That was nice of him because he's not really active on social media. I've met him a few times in person at conventions. He's not very big on that sort of thing. But he's a great guy who loves interacting with fans. He also has a real playful side too.

That said, I honestly worry about him writing anything associated with Cyclops. He has shown time and again that he never got over the editorial decision to have Cyclops leave Maddie. And he's held that against the character for years. It's the sole reason why he favors Jean with Logan. Never mind the fact that's a terrible reason to want too people to be together, as though things like chemistry, compatibility, and shared interests don't mean anything in meaningful romance. Even with the recent events surrounding Cyclops and his time-displaced self, I worry that he'll keep trying to punish him for what happened years ago and that'll only harm more characters in the long run.
    I've seen this being brought up a number of times and I'm genuinely curious: do you think Claremont's feelings towards Scott as a character have actually transpired in his portayal of him in the comics? I'm well aware of what Claremont has said in interviews (and to be honest it's hard to argue that a husband dumping his wife and kid to be with his resurrected first love is a good showing for said husband), but other than showing Scott as being extremely conflicted in that "Duel" issue, I don't recall instances of Claremont portraying him as anything but a hero, even as recently as X-Men Forever. Or maybe I'm just misremembering?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I've seen this being brought up a number of times and I'm genuinely curious: do you think Claremont's feelings towards Scott as a character have actually transpired in his portayal of him in the comics? I'm well aware of what Claremont has said in interviews (and to be honest it's hard to argue that a husband dumping his wife and kid to be with his resurrected first love is a good showing for said husband), but other than showing Scott as being extremely conflicted in that "Duel" issue, I don't recall instances of Claremont portraying him as anything but a hero, even as recently as X-Men Forever. Or maybe I'm just misremembering?
    Nope, he just represented him as a naive husband who has a wife who also loves another man and who from time to time falls into the arms of that other one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    In 616, not explicitly, no. Editorial wouldn't let him. Instead, he went passive-aggressive and retconned in Jean's deep-seated lust for Logan as Scott's karmic comeuppance. Had he stayed on the franchise past 1991, he was going to have Jean leave Scott for Logan. Over the years, this has snowballed in Claremont's headcanon such that he now views Jean and Logan as soulmates. There's a Q&A from a comic-con a couple of years ago wherein he outlines a story he'd like to do: at the end of the universe, Logan is the last living being, and Jean is the Phoenix. They reunite and make love, triggering a new Big Bang (pun intended), and re-creating the universe.

In X-Men Forever, CC had Jean cheat on Scott with Logan and then dump Scott after Logan is killed. In X-Men: The End, there's a bit in one of the later issues where CC has Scott give a lengthy confession on how he failed Madelyne (with Madelyne, having killed Dust and taken her place, secretly watching from the shadows).

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    In 616, not explicitly, no. Editorial wouldn't let him. Instead, he went passive-aggressive and retconned in Jean's deep-seated lust for Logan as Scott's karmic comeuppance. Had he stayed on the franchise past 1991, he was going to have Jean leave Scott for Logan. Over the years, this has snowballed in Claremont's headcanon such that he now views Jean and Logan as soulmates. There's a Q&A from a comic-con a couple of years ago wherein he outlines a story he'd like to do: at the end of the universe, Logan is the last living being, and Jean is the Phoenix. They reunite and make love, triggering a new Big Bang (pun intended), and re-creating the universe.

In X-Men Forever, CC had Jean cheat on Scott with Logan and then dump Scott after Logan is killed. In X-Men: The End, there's a bit in one of the later issues where CC has Scott give a lengthy confession on how he failed Madelyne (with Madelyne, having killed Dust and taken her place, secretly watching from the shadows).
    Yeah, Mr. Claremont has not been subtle about this sentiment. In his mind, Jean and Cyclops should never have been together and Logan was just a way for him to achieve this. It's still, in my opinion, a terrible foundation for any romance. Wanting to put Jean with Logan just to get back at Cyclops is NOT a good basis for a relationship. Someone as smart as Mr. Claremont definitely understands this. I also hope he understands the inherent problem with having Cyclops just happen to encounter a woman who looks just like Jean so shortly after she died. Even if Jean hadn't come back, how can anyone honestly believe that his love for Maddie was genuine? She just happened to look like Jean and be in the right place after she died. Even by comic book standards, that's very contrived on top of being yet another terrible foundation for a relationship.

I've never heard Mr. Claremont respond to these shortcomings and honestly, he doesn't have to. He's accomplished so much and his name is so revered that there's nothing he can possibly do, at this point, to undercut his legacy. While I would love for him to address these issues at some point, I doubt he'll ever change his mind on this subject and that's exactly why I really prefer he not touch the X-books again. He's just too determined to destroy Cyclops, Jean, and every other character around them because of something he's still bitter about. We saw what he did in X-men Forever. He basically turned Cyclops into a dismissive wimp and made Jean out to be so completely unlikable on every level that it was impossible to feel any sympathy for her. He also made Wolverine into an obsessive, Edward Cullen wannabe who only ever existed to pine over Jean Grey. Considering he did more than any other writer to cement Jean and Cyclops' iconic status in the Phoenix Saga, I find this both ironic and tragic. But that's just my opinion.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I'm a bit suspicious of Scott's "confession because he admitted that he knew "Dust' was Madelyne. It would have felt more sincere to me if he hadn't known Maddie was listening.

Didn't one of CC's future stories show Scott and Emma as a couple with several kids? If that wasn't in X-Men: the End, then where?
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I'm a bit suspicious of Scott's "confession because he admitted that he knew "Dust' was Madelyne. It would have felt more sincere to me if he hadn't known Maddie was listening.

Didn't one of CC's future stories show Scott and Emma as a couple with several kids? If that wasn't in X-Men: the End, then where?
    That was in The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    That was in The End.
    Thanks. But if Scott was with Emma, how could Jean's being with Logan be considered cheating on Scott?
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Thanks. But if Scott was with Emma, how could Jean's being with Logan be considered cheating on Scott?
    It couldn’t, because it wasn’t cheating.

X-men Forever is different than X-men The End. In X-men Forever, Claremont picked up from 1991 when he left the books. Jean and Logan were deeply in love (or something) while she was still with Scott. The writing was terrible, so I don't remember many of the details.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    He's being locked in a dungeon and paid not to write. Marvel have him dominated mind body and soul.
    based on his source material for the Hellfire club it doesn't sound like he'd mind that one bit.
    Last edited by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost; 09-25-2018 at 05:36 AM.

These are aU stories.

I don't really see the problem of Claremont writing a Cyclops story, I think it will be more about cable.
    It's clear the editorial like Cyclops and won't let Claremont destroy him