All-New Member

Question Comic Recommendations

Hello all,

IÂ’m new to comics (and the forum) and am hoping to get a few recommendations.

I got into comics about a year ago via the Black Monday Murders series which I love. IÂ’ve also really enjoyed reading Lazarus, Nailbiter, Postal, East of West, Souther Bastards and Deadly Class.

In general IÂ’m more into esoteric or dark subjects rather than standard super hero styled ones. A lot of what I see from the publisher Image looks good.

I have tried some of the Ed Brubaker crime genre and thought it was ok but didnÂ’t enjoy it as some other titles, and have tried some of the titles from Vertigo like Preacher and found those a bit hard to get into.

So, IÂ’m reaching out to the community for some recommendations any ideas?

-Maybe look for Stray Toasters, it's a bit weird, but also very short. Quite dark & with trippy artwork.
    -Sheltered is another one that's quite realistic still, about a bunch of teens in a doomsday prepper compound convinced the Apolcalypse is about to occur.
    -Another one in the dark & broody category, that I would cautiously recommend if you like James Bond but wish it was more depressing, is Zero (by Ales Kot) from a few years ago.
    -Bit more of a left field pick, but Revival just ended recently. It's more in the horror/mystery category, by doing a slight twist on the typical undead story: basically deceased people just return to life in one lil' town. Some of them still have their old memories, some less so. Very consistently good.

All of these are Image published (Stray Toasters was Vertigo first I think? But Image did the reprint.), so should be easy to find or at least availble for digital purchase on their website.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    -Maybe look for Stray Toasters, it's a bit weird, but also very short. Quite dark & with trippy artwork.
    -Sheltered is another one that's quite realistic still, about a bunch of teens in a doomsday prepper compound convinced the Apolcalypse is about to occur.
    -Another one in the dark & broody category, that I would cautiously recommend if you like James Bond but wish it was more depressing, is Zero (by Ales Kot) from a few years ago.
    -Bit more of a left field pick, but Revival just ended recently. It's more in the horror/mystery category, by doing a slight twist on the typical undead story: basically deceased people just return to life in one lil' town. Some of them still have their old memories, some less so. Very consistently good.
    I’ll add Sheltered and Zero to the list! Thanks buddy. I’ve heard Revival has a a lot of characters to follow so I’ll be prepared for that.

My favourite Image comics;
    Violent Love
    Curse Words
    God Country
    Motor Crush
    Green Valley

You could easily catch up with all of these. Green Valley and God Country are finished, only a handful of issues each.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Stray toasters has to be one of the strangest books marvel ever published. So dense, so esoteric.

Here are some Image and Independents that I enjoy in addition to most of the titles you mentioned:

Birthright
    Stray Bullets
    Black Magick
    The Cape
    Sixth Gun
    Descender
    Locke & Key
    The Goon
    Hillbilly
    Manifest Destiny
    Black Hammer
    Saga
    Seven to Eternity
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    -Maybe look for Stray Toasters,
    And suddenly I feel less like the odd one out on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Stray toasters has to be one of the strangest books marvel ever published. So dense, so esoteric.
    I have to admit I am constantly amused that Marvel published it first, but the Epic line was generally quite eclectic. Not sure I would call it esoteric, maybe the word is hermetic. It unfolds with careful reading.

Maybe we should start a reading club thread, read it one issue a month and dig into it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.

From that reading list so far, I would say Manifest Destiny.