Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Seems like Abnett is playing with readers a lot here, in the best way. This issues main points in my eyes are :

spoilers:
    • Vic is indeed still able to communicate with Jessica, even when Epocj doesn't believe it
    • Azrael's new powers are pretty insane, in that it allows him to fool even beings outside of normal time, and it's quite clear that Epoch will either die or be turned by Darkseid, through Azrael's voice
    • All new characters who are evil/New Gods will die quite fast - too fast, if you ask me - it's a weakness of Abnett's writing, as seen in The Silencer I find
    • Dex-Starr oscillating from normal cat to psychotic killer is always great, and he works great with Hax
    • I can't believe Starfire is truly dead, but I wonder what'll happen if it's the case, especially for Blackfire - this version do love her sister, after all
    • Epoch's machinery is both stunning and terryfying

end of spoilers
    Last edited by Korath; 03-06-2020 at 02:22 PM.

I loved this issue. Abnett's use of Epoch is soooo good, and I'm really digging the direction of this title now.

It continues to surprise me that month after month this is one of my favorite titles. I really didn't see that coming. Abnett's even made me like that Red Lantern cat.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    It continues to surprise me that month after month this is one of my favorite titles. I really didn't see that coming. Abnett's even made me like that Red Lantern cat.
    How could anyone hate something as oddball as a Lantern cat?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Sooo... last issue. Did you liked it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Sooo... last issue. Did you liked it ?
    this is supposed to be the last issue?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this is supposed to be the last issue?
    Nah, I mean the last to come out ^^.

But I think the end is near for the series, honestly. I expect it to wrap it up twoard december or early 2021 I think.

It's definitely reaching an endgame, yeah.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Cyborg was done so dirty in this book, and for that matter so was Starfire. Completely lost all interest when Abnett decided to sideline them in order to push Jessica.

I can understand that. But I'll be honest, all the characters he added have clicked for me. And considering the whole mess this series was in at the start, it's already incredible that he managed to make me care.

Plus, frankly, I don't think that DC knows what to do with Cyborg and Starfire and Azrael anyway... Like most characters. So I'd rather have great stories with a lesser-known diverse cast than mediocre ones with characters I love, at that point.

BANNED

Cyborg is a legit funny character to me, but for all the wrong reasons. He's a really good example of what happens when people are doing diversity just to hit a quota. It's pretty clear that DC had a directive for creators to do stuff with him, but clearly no one wanted to do anything with him, or they didn't have any good ideas for him. Diversity tends to work best when those involved actually want to have it and don't need to be told or reminded, and characters work best when people have stories to tell with them and things to say, and when creators want to use them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Cyborg was done so dirty in this book, and for that matter so was Starfire. Completely lost all interest when Abnett decided to sideline them in order to push Jessica.
    Cyborg and Starfire getting shafted to push Jessica was a terrible move.

This story feels like its setting up for a future Crisis with all the time shenanigans happening.

I'll be honest, I was not expecting this to turn into a Jessica Cruz book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll be honest, I was not expecting this to turn into a Jessica Cruz book.
    I don't think anyone did.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I can understand that. But I'll be honest, all the characters he added have clicked for me. And considering the whole mess this series was in at the start, it's already incredible that he managed to make me care.

Plus, frankly, I don't think that DC knows what to do with Cyborg and Starfire and Azrael anyway... Like most characters. So I'd rather have great stories with a lesser-known diverse cast than mediocre ones with characters I love, at that point.
    while I can agree the replacement cast have been a lot of fun, I feel the move was still a poor one. even what has been done with them as heralds of Darkseid isn't as threatening or as compelling as it could've be, so I'm left wondering; was this really a better creative choice, given the characters you have? I'm not so sure they couldn't have pulled off a rag tag cosmic team aesthetic with the current crew AND the original one, without sacrificing Cyborg, Starfire, and Azreal. Cyborg's particularly frustrating because he's been used as a tease toward a restoration for all of the heralds anyway, so it deflates any real tension AND it does the character a disservice.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-10-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."