Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    while I can agree the replacement cast have been a lot of fun, I feel the move was still a poor one. Even what has been done with them as heralds isn't as threatening of as compelling as it could be, so I'm left wondering; was this really a better creative choice, given the characters you have, for the series? I'm not so sure they couldn't have pulled off a rag tag cosmic team aesthetic with the current crew plus the original one, without sacrificing Cyborg, Starfire, and Azreal. Cyborg's particularly frustrating because he's been used as a tease toward a restoration for all of the heralds anyway, so it deflates any real tension AND it does the character a disservice.
    I'd it were up to me I would've used the current roster first and marketed the book as Jessica Cruz centric in the first place instead of hyping up Cyborg as the lead and shafting everyone else to push Jess.

All-New Member

As an Azrael`s fan, I feel like DC stole my money.

Remember, the creative team changed after the first few issues. Abnett wasn't writing what he wanted to originally. He used to write Guardians of the Galaxy, so it makes sense he's using guys like Dex-Starr.

Hopefully when Odyssey ends and they return to Earth, Nightwing (himself out of commission for well over a year) will bring Kori and Victor back into the Titans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Remember, the creative team changed after the first few issues. Abnett wasn't writing what he wanted to originally. He used to write Guardians of the Galaxy, so it makes sense he's using guys like Dex-Starr.

Hopefully when Odyssey ends and they return to Earth, Nightwing (himself out of commission for well over a year) will bring Kori and Victor back into the Titans.
    Posters keep saying that, but that wouldn't help Cyborg, or for that matter Starfire. Going from what was originally sold as them breaking out into bigger things to shunting them back into Titans would just look so poor. Especially for Cyborg.

Cyborg was made a Leaguer in the first place for all the wrong reasons. They only added him so they had a black guy on the team. He was a token minority, and not on the team on merit - especially since he joined immediately after his origin, due to the reboot, meaning his recruitment wasn't earned.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cyborg was made a Leaguer in the first place for all the wrong reasons. They only added him so they had a black guy on the team. He was a token minority, and not on the team on merit - especially since he joined immediately after his origin, due to the reboot, meaning his recruitment wasn't earned.
    Well yes and no.
    He was added to The Super Friends for the reason you said, but he still ended up being a memorable addition ppl remember from back then. I’d argue more ppl remember him than Firestorm actually.
    That segued into his continued popularity in the old Teen Titans cartoon (where he dreamed of becoming a hero on a bigger stage, alluding to his being in the JLA in another life, and he wound up fielding his own team). Bottom line, a lot of fans have grown up w. Cyborg. His addition to the New 52 JLA was a callback, really.
    But I digress;
    When the New 52 launched, the JLA came together in classic “different heroes all end up on the same adventure” manner. Cyborg became a Leaguer because he was there, same as all of them. It wasn’t a matter of earning a spot or merit. The League started from scratch at that point. Cyborg, WW, and Aquaman had never been seen before, while Supes, Flash, GL and Bats had all just started out.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 06-17-2020 at 03:06 AM.

Incredible Member

I'm honestly surprised .

The last issue was one i legitimately strongly disliked overall. Previously i disliked the direction of the book and the "bait and switch" with regard to Cyborg but i *expect* that dishonest behavior from the Big 2 publishers so i wasn't particularly moved emotionally to any extreme. You expect scorpions to behave as scorpions. However this last issue took it a step further and made me actually dislike both the direction and story line execution.

That's a heck of a feat DC.

Yikes.

Just take this title behind the barn and put it down already.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    I'm honestly surprised .

The last issue was one i legitimately strongly disliked overall. Previously i disliked the direction of the book and the "bait and switch" with regard to Cyborg but i *expect* that dishonest behavior from the Big 2 publishers so i wasn't particularly moved emotionally to any extreme. You expect scorpions to behave as scorpions. However this last issue took it a step further and made me actually dislike both the direction and story line execution.

That's a heck of a feat DC.

Yikes.

Just take this title behind the barn and put it down already.
    Let's not go there. i really liked the direction of the story myself, precisely because I can't really see where it's going, whih is refreshing. That's honestly far better than what most titles currently offer, sadly.

Incredible Member

*shrugs*

That's how i feel about a product i own and supported because i wanted to see the title succeed initially. I can't really justify paying for the title going forward. It's not providing any of what i thought it would and shows no signs of course correction.

However if people are enjoying it i hope it stays afloat for their enjoyment. I'm out.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Well yes and no.
    He was added to The Super Friends for the reason you said, but he still ended up being a memorable addition ppl remember from back then. I’d argue more ppl remember him than Firestorm actually.
    That segued into his continued popularity in the old Teen Titans cartoon (where he dreamed of becoming a hero on a bigger stage, alluding to his being in the JLA in another life, and he wound up fielding his own team). Bottom line, a lot of fans have grown up w. Cyborg. His addition to the New 52 JLA was a callback, really.
    But I digress;
    When the New 52 launched, the JLA came together in classic “different heroes all end up on the same adventure” manner. Cyborg became a Leaguer because he was there, same as all of them. It wasn’t a matter of earning a spot or merit. The League started from scratch at that point. Cyborg, WW, and Aquaman had never been seen before, while Supes, Flash, GL and Bats had all just started out.
    Neither Hal nor Bruce were newbies. Neither of those franchises properly rebooted.

Neither Hal nor Bruce were newbies. Neither of those franchises properly rebooted.
    The JLA origin was a flashback to when they were all relatively new (if not brand new) to the game and they certainly didn't know each other in any way other than Hal and Barry having met once and Batman being an urban legend. So the argument that Cyborg's place on the team wasn't as earned as the others doesn't ring true based on the story as presented by Johns and Lee.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

So I've been catching up on all things Jessica, and I want to start reading this. Is this a series that people think will last long? I dont want to get into it and have it canceled next month haha. I just like Jessica and I'm glad she's still around.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I think It'll be concluded in the coming months, but you'll have had 25+ issues when it'll happen where Jes gets to shine, really. It's totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    So I've been catching up on all things Jessica, and I want to start reading this. Is this a series that people think will last long? I dont want to get into it and have it canceled next month haha. I just like Jessica and I'm glad she's still around.
    I've thoroughly enjoyed it. The best comparison I can think of is that its Abnett doing to DC Cosmic what he did for Marvel Cosmic back in the Annihilation Days.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    In today's modern publishing cycle a book that crosses 20 issues is already having a good run so start reading. Book probably has another year or more in it.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime