Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

An interview with Dan Abnett who'll take the reins of JLO soon : https://www.newsarama.com/44073-abne...odyssey-6.html

BANNED

Changing writers already and the book lost its original billed artist? Sales slipped below 30,000 units already? Yep. This one's definitely going down the pooper for sure. For whatever is left, look forward to some empty stories that don't really matter until the book is inevitably cancelled. We can add it to the list of Justice League satellite titles that don't work out or matter. Or heck... the long and growing list of DC Comics titles that don't work out or matter, done by generally apathetic creative teams who have an idea for one story at best. And that's not even necessarily a good story.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 02-26-2019 at 02:25 AM.

My excitement has gone up. I'm onboard for Abnett's cosmic take. Carmine Di Giandomenico's art is a great style, too. I'm ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    My excitement has gone up. I'm onboard for Abnett's cosmic take. Carmine Di Giandomenico's art is a great style, too. I'm ready.
    Consider me optimistic as well. Abnett sounds like he appreciates what the title is supposed to be about (world building the DC cosmic corner) and has some ideas about how to proceed. Given that his run on GotG was one of my faves in recent times, I'm definitely onboard.

So yeah, looking forward to this.

I feel issue #6 validated my optimism for Abnett taking over on writing. There was a noticeable and welcomed new vibe to the book that I enjoyed. He's got an excellent grasp on cosmic stories.

Love Di Giandomenico's art. Quality read.

Mighty Member

Has Vril shown back up yet?

Not yet. I think he'll be a big part of the summer event, since he had to be removed from the issues and forced the delays because of it.

This has been... ok. It tends to make its way to the bottom of my read pile when it's released. I'm not sure I've ever read an Abnett book when he didn't have Andy Lanning attached to it.

Astonishing Member

Have to say the latest issue is a step in the right direction. I'm very curious about the source of Starfire's power increase, and if the remaining members also see a spike in their capabilities.

And Conrad is DEFINITELY an improvement over the previous artist we were getting. Some of the faces looked very real which was awesome. While I still prefer Sejic, I hope Conrad is here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Have to say the latest issue is a step in the right direction. I'm very curious about the source of Starfire's power increase, and if the remaining members also see a spike in their capabilities.

And Conrad is DEFINITELY an improvement over the previous artist we were getting. Some of the faces looked very real which was awesome. While I still prefer Sejic, I hope Conrad is here to stay.
    Yeah, Conrad was the artist on most of Cyborg’s latest run. Good art.

Another good issue for me. My one thing is...what is Vic’s definitive look currently? In this series alone I see variations of what Sejic started with but I don’t find any consistency.

Astonishing Member

This book definitely feels like the side-quest or B-Story of the Justice books, but it's still nice to see Cyborg and Starfire hang out, include Jessica Cruz in that, and bring Azrael out of his usual element and more into a strange riff on the fact that Batman gets to go cosmic - and bring his POV with it. I still like the characters and interactions. It's just very much a book that does a holding pattern thing trying to clean up somebody else's story mess. But Abnett's great ... and since Titans is ending and that tied into the Justice Goings Ons, I expect the transition will be pretty smooth.

Weirdly ... as many times as DC has tried to do spins on Marvel things, this feels the most like a Marvel cosmic book. JL itself is more loaded with big old DCU concepts, but things here feel Marvelly. Darkseid feels slightly Thanosish. So on and so forth. The ghost sector concept, soap operatics of Blackfire being involved, and the odd line-up of heroes. And item-based MacGuffins!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I really liked this issue, because I feel Abnett is picking up on the earlier events of the run (namely, Kory being infected) and push it to its utmost, with her losing it and attacking Tamaraneans. Which is especially hurting for her since, in this continuity, she and Komand'r are clearly loving each others, but have been pushed apart by Tamaran being bottled up and then left to rot in the Ghost Sector.

It also seems appropriately cosmic for my taste, doing something never seen before with Darkseid while not making him sympathetic or heroic. And the way Kory (and hopegully the others) are growing in power right about now feels great. Hopefully, we'll get Vic, JP and her to become and remain strongers from now on. I also liked how Victor was protrayed as very competent simply by deploying a little drone to spy on Tamaran's network while battling their elite forces. It's the little touchs which make a character great in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    This book definitely feels like the side-quest or B-Story of the Justice books, but it's still nice to see Cyborg and Starfire hang out, include Jessica Cruz in that, and bring Azrael out of his usual element and more into a strange riff on the fact that Batman gets to go cosmic - and bring his POV with it. I still like the characters and interactions. It's just very much a book that does a holding pattern thing trying to clean up somebody else's story mess. But Abnett's great ... and since Titans is ending and that tied into the Justice Goings Ons, I expect the transition will be pretty smooth.

Weirdly ... as many times as DC has tried to do spins on Marvel things, this feels the most like a Marvel cosmic book. JL itself is more loaded with big old DCU concepts, but things here feel Marvelly. Darkseid feels slightly Thanosish. So on and so forth. The ghost sector concept, soap operatics of Blackfire being involved, and the odd line-up of heroes. And item-based MacGuffins!
    Don't forget too, Abnett used to write Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

After a promising start this book sputtered a bit once Sejic left, but it definitely seems to be back on track. Love Conrad’s art and it’s so great to see him draw Cyborg again. He seems to at least be attempting to using Sejic’s updated look for Vic which is awesome. the other artists just drew him in his clunky old armor.