Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    God I can't believe DC slipped up so bad and kicked Sejic off the book. What in the world were they thinking?!
    I'm still really curious what the continuity issue was that led them to scuttle the finished issues.

I really liked this issue. I am not Williamson's biggest fan because of his work on the Flash, but I liked this issue and I will continue reading this series. The team, the premise and Sejic on art are what made me give this series a go and all of these points have been delivered on so far.

Sejic is one of the best artists in the industry right now and I know he is leaving the book, but his art was great in this issue. I liked No Justice and the fact that this series is continuing plotlines from that book is a reason I was happy with this issue. It was full of exposition, but that has been a part of the medium for a while so I don't really mind it.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

One line stood out to me. "Forgive me, old friend". Since Cyborg and Starfire didn't even meet in modern continuity until No Justice (Vic was always in JL and later a solo, while Kori was in Red Hood of all places, a solo, and then Teen Titans), their past with the New Teen Titans must've been restored.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

I'm ashamed to say that i haven't read anything with Azrael before. Him hearing voices, is that normal for him? Gives me Starman vibes a bit.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Odyssey is my book of the week. Not that I wouldn't scrap the pile to have Sejic back on Aquaman instead, but hey. As good starts with cool direction, world-building and art design go.

So there's a ... fair amount of world-build for an issue # 1. We thank god SKIP almost all of the character meet-ups, with only the Space Cop and the Evil Prophet ones actually being depicted. One line of dialogue - Azrael was a stowaway - makes his arc more intriguing, mysterious, dangerous, roguish, instantaneously. Show, don't tell, the Hero's Journey - but yeah, TELL the Lancer, the Rogue. Let the reputation do the talking for a bit. Build the mystique.

Anyway.

1. Most interested I've been in Jessica since Darkseid War and she stopped being Power Ring. (See also: Interest in Darkseid.)
    2. Most stoked I've been to see Cyborg in anything. He's been real good in Snyder's book but seeing him and Kori as O.G. Titans builds gravity and bonafides.
    3. Most interested I've been in Vic actually having a motherbox embedded, too. (See also: Interest in Darkseid.)
    4. If we live in a universe where we have to have Jean-Paul Valley flashpointed back to life ... most interested I've been in Jean-Paul Valley since he came back to life. (See also: Darkseid.) I think sending Azrael on a space crusade in a flashy I assume FoxTech-meets-Dumas Az-Bats costume is the biggest stroke of genius weird left field blue skies bold move I've seen in a book in a while.
    5. All this and Vril Dox hasn't even shown up yet.
    The whole stowaway part doesn't make any sense. With Tynion leaving Detective Comics back in May he had to tie loose ends to end the whole No Man's Land red headed step-children of the batfamily thing quick. So in one frame it was explained that he was in talks with Cyborg for some sort of mission. Done very sloppily because the new writers didn't want to continue with a batfamily.

I was really looking forward to this series, but some of the writing is just too over enunciated. Hopefully this is an issue that is fixed.
    I'm not too familiar with Titans so, is there a thing between Cyborg and Koriand'r?
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post
    The whole stowaway part doesn't make any sense. With Tynion leaving Detective Comics back in May he had to tie loose ends to end the whole No Man's Land red headed step-children of the batfamily thing quick. So in one frame it was explained that he was in talks with Cyborg for some sort of mission. Done very sloppily because the new writers didn't want to continue with a batfamily.

I was really looking forward to this series, but some of the writing is just too over enunciated. Hopefully this is an issue that is fixed.
    I'm not too familiar with Titans so, is there a thing between Cyborg and Koriand'r?
    Cyborg and Starfire (and Raven, and additionally Beast Boy) are all core to Wolfman's seminal New Teen Titans run, where they were all introduced.

Azrael's stowaway move really only felt so good to me because it was such a "Batman move" to do.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Good start. I hope the delays won’t hurt this series too much.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post

Yes...there is a friendship between Victor and Kory, and that's why she put her head against his head and addressed him as 'old friend.'
    They were old teammates that first met in the New Team Titans Volume 1, issue #1 published on December 1980.
    It was when the Teen Titans rescued her from the Gordanians who were slavers.
    She was a slave for 5 or 6 years. She escaped from the slaveship and stole another ship and flew it to Earth.
    She ended up being brought in the apartment by a woman's boyfriend, and she was very weak on a bed.
    The Gordanians tracked her down and broke into the apartment and took her away.
    Raven told the Teen Titans that they need to rescue her for she's the last member of the team, and so they did.

Victor called her 'Goldie' a lot when she was gold-skinned before artists made her orange-skinned
    With her being a typical Tamaranean that is very open with emotions, Kory was the most affectionate and loving of the team
    She really viewed the Titans as family including especially Donna Troy (Wonder Girl,Troia) who's her best friend and like a sister to her

In Teen Titans Spotlight issue #1 published June 1982
    Victor tells the Teen Titans about his origins

Victor says:
    Y'know, We've all been so busy lately I hadn't even thought of friends though I think when I became this galvanized freak, I lost all my friends

Kory says:
    You must be wrong, Victor. True friends don't desert you because of an accident.

Victor talks about his childhood.
    He talked about how his parents probed him, tested him, wired him up, and god knows what else
    He talked how he sometimes thought he was more of a guinea pig than a son to his parents.
    He told that he had a good life, for a human computer with a 170 IQ.

Garfield aka Changeling (he wasn't known as Beast Boy) callously says:
    You were a genius? What happened, Vic? You take too many stupid pills?

Victor says:
    Real funny, Logan. Ever consider takin' up a new career -- as a corpse.

Kory compassionately says:
    I feel sorry for you, Victor. On Tamaran, love is everything.

After he tells his origins story....

Victor says:
    So yeah, real friends...I didn't have 'em while I was growin up. An' sometimes, I get a little misty-eyed 'cause I certainly do have em now.

Kory has his hand on Victor's chin and kisses him near his lips on the metal half of his face and says:
    And we shall always be your friends, Victor. How can we help but love one who is such a warm loving man.

I read all of Marv Wolfman's very popular and iconic Titans run (1980 to 1996) which include:
    The New Teen Titans Volumes 1 and 2
    The Tales of the Teen Titans
    The Tales of the New Teen Titans
    The Tales of the Titans
    The Teen Titans Spotlight

I don't know how much of the Wolfman's Titans run is canon in the Rebirth timeline.

It's good to see Victor and Kory as teammates again.

BTW
    Teen Titans Cartoon series is about Robin,Starfire,Raven,Cyborg,and Beast Boy
    therefore, Starfire and Cyborg working together is well-known
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-27-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    And we got a new trinity, with goddess, man of steel and knight included.
    And, as the teaser for the next issue says, it could be the dawning of a new age (at least on the cosmic side).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I'm ashamed to say that i haven't read anything with Azrael before. Him hearing voices, is that normal for him? Gives me Starman vibes a bit.
    I remember when he was Batman for awhile during the Knightfall storyline after Bane broke Bruce's back.
    He was vicious as Batman.
    Selina was the first to notice that he was not the real Batman.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    One line stood out to me. "Forgive me, old friend". Since Cyborg and Starfire didn't even meet in modern continuity until No Justice (Vic was always in JL and later a solo, while Kori was in Red Hood of all places, a solo, and then Teen Titans), their past with the New Teen Titans must've been restored.
    It seems like Victor and Kory's past in Marv Wolfman's run Titans comics from 1980 to 1996 are restored.

After reading the Marv Wolfman run Titans comics, I believe that they should not have wiped out the Titans history any way.
    Those Titans comics were one of the most popular and best-selling comics at the time.

Does anyone know why Sejic isn't going to be continuing the book? He's met deadlines before so I can't imagine he was the major reason for the delay.

He was annoyed because he had to redraw issues 1 and 2.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Really hyped by this issue, but bummed out that Sejic won't draw it beyond two. However, the story is so great that if the upcoming artist don't change the designs too much, I'll love it nonetheless. I mean, come on, that last page reveal ? It's crazy stuff, but I want to learn so much more about it !

Solid start but missing a character or two.