Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Good comics.

The inevitability of Sejic's art being less crispy and refined as he has less time and as he's already slated to move onto something else hits already here in Issue # 2, but hopefully his good design-work sticks and keeps Odyssey on a good track. Always hard to say, though, if that'll be the case. But his costume redesigns for Cyborg and Starfire are just fantastic, his Jessica Cruz tweaks just right, his Prophet Darkseid look is really story appropriate (not my favorite Darkseid look, but there's only one proper look for the God of Evil). His Space Azrael is just exactly the right amount of Over-the-Top. Hopefully with those five lead characters setting the tone things will stay more or less consistent.

He's def an artist, and I've seen many, who if he had more than a month per issue, turns out Disney-movie level quality, but if he's on that tight monthly deadline, is turning out more like ... you know, Xerox-era Disney where you see the pencil lines. I remember having the same issue some years back with the final run of G.I. Joe: America's Elite, where Mike Bear put out these dialed issues full of realism and with great mood and cool comic panels and shots, but would get stretched too thin.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I really liked this issue

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    the book hasn't been marketed the same as it was initially as I said. The initial marketing was great. Seijec has largely been outstanding and consistent for DC
    Sejic’s DC work doesn’t even come close to the highs of his creator owned stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Speaking for myself, that's not my intent. But there are those on here and other sites that treat the loss of Sejic as doom and gloom. As if there aren't other capable artists out there capable of running with the ball just as well.

I'm also amped up about finally delving into Vic's mother box connection. About time!
    Because it's not just his art that's great, he has one of, if not THE best design language out there, because he's not limited to the cookie cutter approach that most comic book artists fall into. This is largely due to the fact that he comes from a concept art background, and as such he's able to think outside the box.

Just look at Cyborg for a perfect example. Besides supposed to be aimed like modern technology, where cell phones are now freaking edgeless, most artist draw Cyborg like a 1970's buick, big bulky and surrounded with antiquated looking technology. And this is becomes comic book artists are largely slaves to the classic approach. Sejic comes across and easily creates the most modern look cyborg yet. It's not hard to see why he's well respected, he's not limited in his design processes like most other comic book artists are.

I liked this issue even more than the first issue.

Really interested to see where they take Darkseid. Feels like he is becoming cool again.

Solid portrayals all around. Love the dynamic between Cyborg, Starfire and Green Lantern.

Does anyone know what Cyborg is doing with his arm right before they jump into the pit?
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Sejic’s DC work doesn’t even come close to the highs of his creator owned stuff.
    Oh now this I completely agree. But I'm presuming he has more time on his creator owned content. People don't deteriorate as time pass in terms of art, they become better normally. I just presumed he wanted to do a looser, rougher style while working with the big 2 due to their more strict deadlines. With that said, Carmine Di Giandomenico is alright, but he's no Sejic by far.

JLO

Witchblade

His Darkness stuff is my favorite.

Another good issue. This is my favorite Justice League book right now. Snyder’s JL continues to disappoint after a strong start. JL Dark has been pretty enjoyable but the premise is a cookie cutter team book set up. “A great evil is coming and one hero must gather other heroes to stop it.” Plus they’re doing a crossover right in the middle of the first arc. Just hoping Odyssey can keep up the same level of intrigue and fun now that Sejic is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Because it's not just his art that's great, he has one of, if not THE best design language out there, because he's not limited to the cookie cutter approach that most comic book artists fall into. This is largely due to the fact that he comes from a concept art background, and as such he's able to think outside the box.

Just look at Cyborg for a perfect example. Besides supposed to be aimed like modern technology, where cell phones are now freaking edgeless, most artist draw Cyborg like a 1970's buick, big bulky and surrounded with antiquated looking technology. And this is becomes comic book artists are largely slaves to the classic approach. Sejic comes across and easily creates the most modern look cyborg yet. It's not hard to see why he's well respected, he's not limited in his design processes like most other comic book artists are.
    Totally agreed. I’ve hated how outdated “the most technologically advanced hero” usually looks. Sejic’s design is second only to Ivan Reis’ from the Cyborg solo book.

To be fair, Cyborg is not a cell phone. He fights super people, not tries to fit in your pocket.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-24-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Mighty Member

I like the comic. I think of Starfire as one of the highly underrated superheroes in DC.
    I would like to see her in a comic book that features her well.
    I think that this comic could be it.
    It's only been 2 issues, but I like it so far.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    To be fair, Cyborg is not a cell phone. He fights super people, not tries to fit in your pocket.
    You're taking the example literal, when it was meant as a analogy. Technology as it improves becomes sleeker and thinner, not the reverse. Sejic understands this and tailored Cyborg to be the most modern cyborg seen yet. Most comic book artist lacks this creative designing processes because their stuck behind the status quo of comics.
    Last edited by leo619; 10-25-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Cyborg's more advanced design has been the biggest draw for me.

The way Jimenez has drawn the previous design in Justice League made it look much better than it had, but Odyssey's redesign is far more appealing and advanced. Even his abilities seemed so much cooler than what we've been saddled with previously.

I hope they address the physical change in this book. I want it so he can't go back to the old design. Just continue to advance the concept.

All-New Member

This might have been answered already, but Darkseid is currently appearing in Mister Miracle and Justice League Odyssey, but Darkseid seems different in each book. I'm guessing that the Justice League Odyssey Darkseid is the current continuity character, and the Mister Miracle one, is either out of continuity, or in the far past? Does anyone know about this?

Quote Originally Posted by riprap View Post
    This might have been answered already, but Darkseid is currently appearing in Mister Miracle and Justice League Odyssey, but Darkseid seems different in each book. I'm guessing that the Justice League Odyssey Darkseid is the current continuity character, and the Mister Miracle one, is either out of continuity, or in the far past? Does anyone know about this?
    Have you read Mister Miracle #11?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Oh now this I completely agree. But I'm presuming he has more time on his creator owned content. People don't deteriorate as time pass in terms of art, they become better normally. I just presumed he wanted to do a looser, rougher style while working with the big 2 due to their more strict deadlines. With that said, Carmine Di Giandomenico is alright, but he's no Sejic by far.

JLO

Witchblade

Tbh, I’d prefer Giandomenico’s more kinetic style for this book because while Sejic may look good, his action scene totally are kind of awful. And this looser style that he uses for big two puts him in the same league as the rest of the big two house artist.