Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Oh boy -- that's kinda tough. When I was a kid, Superboy was on an animated series -- but there was no sign of a Supergirl outside of comics. I was shocked when a classmate informed me of her existence.

Then in the 80s we had a Supergirl film that was mostly missed by an audience, and a so so Superboy series in syndication that lasted several years. So from 60 through 90s -- I'd say Superboy was more iconic.

With the Supergirl TV series -- and Superboy largely absent from screen -- and comics -- I'd say Supergirl has definitely pulled in front.

I'd like to see a classic (young Kal-El) version of the character be used with the Legion -- if they ever return.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Spiderboy, I think you might get this one: what was the deal with the Superboy tv show buzz in the early 70s? Was that a thing people expected and anticipated? Whatever became of that?
    He was featured as part of the Filmation Superman/Batman/Aquaman adventures on Saturday mornings. I don't recall any mention of anything else being developed outside of that series.

Kon93

It would be easier to brand and then make kon-el/Conner Kent iconic if there was one easily recognizable version of him, but we have multiple at the time,and NONE are exactly identical to the others.

Kara wins because she has been the same in every way besides generic ways since the beginning,cant say the same for SB at all

I think that up until the Supergirl TV started there was an unequivocal and easy answer, but now it's a little messier. I remember a general feeling or attitude like Supergirl is a superfluous character, a less well-executed Power Girl, basically kept around out of tradition, but she's not that great. Meanwhile, Conner was a big hit, massively popular.

The TV show and the New 52 reboot changed that. By resurrecting the classic take on Supergirl as basically a sweetheart, it revitalized her whole reason-for-being. Meanwhile, Superboy took a big hit during the New 52. Kara's characterization wasn't phenomenal during that period either, but the difference was it wasn't nearly as drastic a difference from pre-Flashpoint Supergirl the way that Superboy's characterization was. Superboy still hasn't come back from that reboot basically, whereas Kara, with the show, has absolutely come back, arguably for the first time since her death in the '80s, characterization-wise.

Of course Supergirl's also a less divided character than Superboy. Obviously there's Kara and Matrix and Linda, but as much as I personally like Mae and Linda, there's no contest regarding their popularity. Kara's the one people think of when they hear "Supergirl".

Meanwhile on the Superboy front, there's Kal, post-Crisis Kon, who arguably evolves into a very different pre-Flashpoint Kon, New 52 Kon, and Young Justice TV Kon, and then Jon S. Kent. Anyway, the fans of one Superboy might not always like another Superboy, so that fans of Kon-Superboy might have fairly little to say about Jon or even about Kal-Superboy. There's even fans of leather-jacket Kon who don't feel too strongly about t-shirt Kon! So Superboy's popularity got pretty divided, I'd say.

I still think that Jon, Kon and Mon-El all ought to co-star in a series together. It'd be great!

Ultimately I think pre-Flashpoint Kon is the favorite Superboy, but his popularity, while alive, is somewhat muted by the fact he's been basically unheard from since 2011. Meanwhile, Supergirl has probably never been more popular. Between the two, I don't think there's really a question of whether Supergirl is bigger or not, at least at the moment. She definitely is.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hmmm, even as a fan of almost all of the Supergirl runs, I have to agree with the common criticism of the New 52, that the story arc put her at odds with previous characterizations. Even in the age of decompression it's hard to see Stanhope Linda or Lake Shore Linda really struggle so hard internally for so long.

On the flipside though, I have to admit that even though Kon certainly didn't change over night, I couldn't have been more put off with how Johns developed him. As he was originally my POV character for DC comics I really liked him, so as a response I feel pretty much the opposite about the character he'd become. Still popular sure, but I'm firmly convinced that the screws were put to him then and it doesn't surprise me that even without DC trying to embrace Kara, he wouldn't have much going for him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I think that up until the Supergirl TV started there was an unequivocal and easy answer, but now it's a little messier. I remember a general feeling or attitude like Supergirl is a superfluous character, a less well-executed Power Girl, basically kept around out of tradition, but she's not that great. Meanwhile, Conner was a big hit, massively popular.
    I always just assumed Supergirl was pretty naturally popular and seen as a fairly important member of the Superfamily, if only for all the different attempts to bring Kara Zor-El or the character back in some form and that she was featured in S:TAS (albeit altered so as to not be directly related to Superman).

I would say Supergirl is more iconic than all version of Superboy exept for Kal-El as Superboy.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

It would seem that as WB is considering doing a Supergirl movie but no one has ever said anything about a Superboy movie WB at least thinks Supergirl is currently the more popular character.