Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Possible upcoming Superman mystery event

So, take a look at the lower right of the page just before Perry's keyboard. That seems to be the no bs pitch for an upcoming event that Bendis is doing spinning out of Action Comics issue 1007.

If you read it you'll see that it seems to say " in the wake of Action 1007." This is also further substantiated by it saying that Clark Kent, Lois Lane, and Jimmy Olsen will be going undercover (Lois' name is obscured.) And it ends with "who watches the watchmen." Funny enough, in a recent interview (if someone knows the one I'm talking about, maybe they could help me out) Bendis has talked how he's going to be doing big things with all of the various secret organizations around the DCU. The pitch says "something or someone is *blank* (this is obscured) is taking out all of the secret organizations in the DC universe." Kobra Kult and the DEO are the first to go.

So, this seems like Bendis just legitimately teased us his first big event, and it's gonna apparently be a Daily Planet lead (that's Clark, Lois, and Jimmy) mystery event spinning out of Action Comics issue #1007.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

HOLY FREAKIN SH!T! I think the creative team says Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev! Are my mid twenties eyes playing tricks on me, or does anyone else see it too when they open the picture up and enlarge it?

We are looking at the possibility of a Superman mystery espionage event headed by Clark, Lois, and Jimmy, centered around all of the crazy secret organizations of the DCU, spinning directly out of Action Comics and possibly whatever Lois has been up to, AND it's possibly going to be drawn by freakin Alex Maleev!

Like, does that somehow not sound objectively awesome to anyone?!

Seriously, we'd be getting a Superman detective event that looked like this...

Last edited by Superlad93; 09-24-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well, it’s not impossible for him, no idea of his schedule, but with a round of Scarlet coming up I’d be really impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Kobra Kult and the DEO are the first to go.
    First of at least three - there's a second organisation (perhaps A.R.G.U.S.).

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    HOLY FREAKIN SH!T! I think the creative team says Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev! Are my mid twenties eyes playing tricks on me, or does anyone else see it too when they open the picture up and enlarge it?
    My mumble-eyes see it, too!

Cool if true. I’ve been waiting for someone to actually define what each of DC’s secret societies actually does. Clark and Lois investigating all of them sounds like the perfect way to tie the investigative reporter and the superhero jobs together.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    First of at least three - there's a second organisation (perhaps A.R.G.U.S.).

My mumble-eyes see it, too!

And I think the other blacked out word is 'root'.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This could be really good if that turns out to be the case with that creative team especially. This could also help the daily planet survive getting such a big scoop.

Good catch, adkal.

And if this ends up planning out, this will be the first event where Lois, Jimmy, and the Daily Planet are main characters in the same way that a Wonder Woman or Batman or Justice League would be alongside Clark/Superman. It would be historic to an extent.

This would also be very fascinating coming off Heroes In Crisis. It's once again taking the fantastic aspects of the DCU (secret organizations and superheroes in a statuary) and grounding it with both its artwork and chosen subject matter (reporting/detective work and mental illness). This could be a fantastic one-two punch, and Superman will be a main character in both.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This could also help the daily planet survive getting such a big scoop.
    Nice. I hadn't even thought of that, but this totally plays into that story beat Bendis set up early on. Snyder wasn't kidding when he said Bendis has planed this out at least a year in advance.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

The transcript, for those who don't wanna crack their necks (I'm leaving everything obscured by items on the desk blank, even when it's seemingly obvious; you never know):

LEVIATHAN

A DC COMICS MYSTERY EVENT

Story idea discussion doc____y by Brian Michael Bendis

Creative team Brian Mi_____endis and (blacked out but still legible) Alex Maleev

PRELUDE

Starting in ______cs 1007, it is revealed that something or someone _______y taking out ALL the secret organizatio______ DC Universe. First, the dangerous Kobra Kult, then_______., then the DEO, and so on.

Clark Ke_____ane and Jimmy Olsen___undercover and discov_______ehind this...it____organization LEVIAT____good lord, the__________rown LARGER and MORE_________sing all of t_______of the other org______More powerf_____________ce League or Sup______andle.

But_____the_____________________ill discover that__________________n, it is a person.

WHO IS LE__________

A ques_____________ny (blacked out but still legible) book in the DC universe________________________

Mysterious__________________y e old (old is crossed out for some reason) 'WHO WATCHES THE WATCH_____________________

_____IS LEVIATH___

__________ain event.
    Buh-bye

So they start out thinking Leviathan is its own organization taking out these other ones, but its not an organization at all, its a single person.

It also seems to be comparing the terms "Who Watches the Watchmen?" and "Who Is Leviathan?". So makes me wonder if who this character ultimately is turns out to be someone from Doomsday Clock.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Good lookin out, Dispenser Of Truth.

There's a whole lot to chew on here. Like SK points out, it seems like Clark, Lois, and Jimmy find out that Leviathan is single person that seems to have an organization built around them. That's very fascinating, and it means yet another Morrison idea will be at the head of an event and will be actively expounded on, so that's big ups from me to Bendis on that. If I'm not mistaken, there's an interview out there where Bendis talked about how he'd be bringing all some tie-ins to Doomsday Clock. Clark's desk in issue 1001 did say "the Superman theory" after all.

Oh and I found the quote where Bendis talked about the organizations being part of an upcoming story he's working on that's part of Action Comics' second arc. He even specifically name drops Leviathan.

Bendis: "Yeah, there's a couple things that Dan DiDio has pointed at and said, hey, what do you think of that? And one of those ideas is actually going to be my second arc of Action Comics. It's something we were cooking with Checkmate, Spyral and Leviathan. So we'll be dealing with that going into the first year as well."

https://www.newsarama.com/41087-bend...p-focused.html

So, this is seeming like a legitimate tease for an actual event/story arc that sort of requires the reader to look for clues to even get it.

Once issue 1003 comes out, anyone with a twitter wanna @Bendis and confirm or at least get a knowing "oh I dunnoooo" wink out of him?

DEO... Wait, I remember.. M. Bones organization...

Deadshot will be happy to heard this about Kobra Cult

LEVIATHAN? I would like see Talia organization doom in Action Comics.
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-24-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

My formal prediction: soon, the prospect that Bendis is going to DELIBERATELY RUIN EVERYTHING FOREVER by revealing Lois is Red Cloud will be old news, because all the cool kids are gonna know he's *actually* going to ruin everything forever by revealing she's Leviathan.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    My formal prediction: soon, the prospect that Bendis is going to DELIBERATELY RUIN EVERYTHING FOREVER by revealing Lois is Red Cloud will be old news, because all the cool kids are gonna know he's *actually* going to ruin everything forever by revealing she's Leviathan.
    I doubt it.. We saw one Lois Superwoman again... Why give her certain powers in Action Comics(and use her as villain) for then give her another kind of powers in Superman?

That Bendis creation that is now in the planet(the woman who wanted red kryptonite) will be Red Cloud..
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-24-2018 at 10:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    She's an Al Ghaul?

That gives Damen even more reason to bond with Jon