Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Jack Kirby Method

http://www.tcj.com/im-gonna-open-sea...negative-zone/

Great Article on the Marvel Kirby creation process.

Thanks for posting this.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Kirby was the greatest.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The Jack Kirby museum has a great video of Jack Kirby at his drawing table and doing a sketch of what he thought Doom looks like under the mask. It lasts about 22 minutes.

I think that’s the first time I’ve see Jack K’s pencils.

Wonderful stuff...it’s just amazing how the static images (in realty) conjure up an overpowering feeling of how the characters move.

And it was very thought provoking on the way Jack captioned the images, not just in terms of the implications for how much of the story Jack created himself, but whether on couple of pages shown if Jack’s guiding panel captions may have carried the story just as well as dialogue Stan added later.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-24-2018 at 11:27 AM.

BANNED

I have only one Kirby run in my top 20 comic runs.

The others were
    Chaykin
    Ellis and Cassady
    George Herriman
    Frank King
    Barry Windsor Smith
    Marshal Rogers, Terry Austin, Steve Englehart
    Max Allan Collins and Terry Beatty
    Brian Wood and Ryan Kelly
    Neil Gaiman
    Neil Adams and Denny O'Neil
    John Byrne
    Siegel and Shuster
    Gil Kane
    David Sims
    Gerry Conway, Gil Kane
    John Ostrander, Tom Mandrake
    Jim Shooter, Bob Layton, Art Nicoles
    Shooter/Lampham
    Steranko

Years ago there was an exhibit on Comics shared between the Jewsh Museum and the Newerk Museum and it had a lot of Kirby work. His art was very polarizing when I was a kid. There were pro-Kirby and Anti-Kirby collectors.

Astonishing Member

Jack Kirby is the best.
    I find it amazing how the Jack Kirby art have like a 3-d effect to it without being 3-d art.
    Such dynamic and action paced art seen in the Jack Kirby art is something i have not seen other artist´s do as well as Jack Kirby.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I have only one Kirby run in my top 20 comic runs.

The others were
    Chaykin
    Ellis and Cassady
    George Herriman
    Frank King
    Barry Windsor Smith
    Marshal Rogers, Terry Austin, Steve Englehart
    Max Allan Collins and Terry Beatty
    Brian Wood and Ryan Kelly
    Neil Gaiman
    Neil Adams and Denny O'Neil
    John Byrne
    Siegel and Shuster
    Gil Kane
    David Sims
    Gerry Conway, Gil Kane
    Jim Shooter, Bob Layton, Art Nicoles
    Shooter/Lampham
    Steranko

Years ago there was an exhibit on Comics shared between the Jewsh Museum and the Newerk Museum and it had a lot of Kirby work. His art was very polarizing when I was a kid. There were pro-Kirby and Anti-Kirby collectors.
    Looking at the names I venture it’s easy to guess which work is the favourite run concerned..eg Neil Gaiman run has to be Sandman, Siegel/ Shuster run Superman, Steranko run Shield. No doubt you’ll tell me one of guesses is wrong...

In normal circumstance it might be hard to guess Kirby or Byrne run concerned..such has been their immense contribution to comics. But..in your case..it will surprise if it’s not their work on Fantastic Four.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Looking at the names I venture it’s easy to guess which work is the favourite run concerned..eg Neil Gaiman run has to be Sandman, Siegel/ Shuster run Superman, Steranko run Shield. No doubt you’ll tell me one of guesses is wrong...

In normal circumstance it might be hard to guess Kirby or Byrne run concerned..such has been their immense contribution to comics. But..in your case..it will surprise if it’s not their work on Fantastic Four.
    In this context, there are only two works of Kirby that rise to the level of top comic runs, and that would be Captain America in the golden age, as the FF, both because of their influence. In Byrnes case, you have the X-man and the FF. In Gil Kanes case, one can argue for the Spiderman run, the invention of the graphic novel, both which changed comics, or of course GL. Byrnes major accomplishments (aside from Next) would be Superman, X-man and the FF. The Superman book, IMO, was not that influential or revlotionary. The X-man maybe... but I think the work on the FF is far more reaching and influential and the X-men work would be overshadowed by Clarmount's efforts.

Jim Shooter, and Layton ? BWS? Adams and ONiiel?

This can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    In this context, there are only two works of Kirby that rise to the level of top comic runs, and that would be Captain America in the golden age, as the FF, both because of their influence. In Byrnes case, you have the X-man and the FF. In Gil Kanes case, one can argue for the Spiderman run, the invention of the graphic novel, both which changed comics, or of course GL. Byrnes major accomplishments (aside from Next) would be Superman, X-man and the FF. The Superman book, IMO, was not that influential or revlotionary. The X-man maybe... but I think the work on the FF is far more reaching and influential and the X-men work would be overshadowed by Clarmount's efforts.

Jim Shooter, and Layton ? BWS? Adams and ONiiel?

This can be fun.
    Ah, you've called my bluff. And I have to admit that the guessing game is tougher than I pretended.

But...helped by relative ignorance of comics (so I only have to guess between relatively few possibities), here goes.

Gil Kane. Vaguely aware he did some highly rated work on the Atom. But..I'm going to guess Superman. Just on basis that I recently read trade collection of run (via a Comixolgy auction) and thought it was terrific.

Barry Windsor Smith. Conan. Here my ignorance is near total..but have seen some artwork from that run, and thought it superb.

Adams/ O'Neill. Difficult. I imagine two main contenders have to be Batman and Hard Travelling Heroes. In some ways I think the Batman work has dated less, and maybe reads better today for a "fresh" reader. But I'll go with Hard Travelling Heroes, on basis of impact it had back in the day.

Jim Shooter/ Bob Layton. Now my knowledge count drops from almost total ignorance to complete zero. I've spent a pleasant 5 minutes on google looking at work the two did. And my complete guess is Magnus Robot Fighter.

BANNED

Ah, you've called my bluff. And I have to admit that the guessing game is tougher than I pretended.

But...helped by relative ignorance of comics (so I only have to guess between relatively few possibities), here goes.

Gil Kane. Vaguely aware he did some highly rated work on the Atom. But..I'm going to guess Superman. Just on basis that I recently read trade collection of run (via a Comixolgy auction) and thought it was terrific.

Barry Windsor Smith. Conan. Here my ignorance is near total..but have seen some artwork from that run, and thought it superb.

Adams/ O'Neill. Difficult. I imagine two main contenders have to be Batman and Hard Travelling Heroes. In some ways I think the Batman work has dated less, and maybe reads better today for a "fresh" reader. But I'll go with Hard Travelling Heroes, on basis of impact it had back in the day.

Jim Shooter/ Bob Layton. Now my knowledge count drops from almost total ignorance to complete zero. I've spent a pleasant 5 minutes on google looking at work the two did. And my complete guess is Magnus Robot Fighter.
    That is pretty cool.

Gil Kane's Superman was my selection, indeed.
    BWS - Conan would be a great choice. You can't imagine the loyalty the BWS had with Conan when it was being produced. But when you talk with Barry, and I agree with him, it is Archer and Armstrong, as part of the industry defining Valiant revolution, was his best run. Google BWS and Archer and Armstrong. It is profound it's impact on the average reader, not the comic collector.

Adam's and O'Neil was a successful partnership but GL/GA #76 is a watershed book, maybe unlike any other.

Shooter and Layton... Yes Magnus Robot Fighter ... it is the FF of the Valiant universe.

Shooter/Lampham as Shadowman

It is hard to overlook Harbinger ... but oh well. I loved Harbinger even if it was a derivitive of X-men

Lets try some others... I name the creative team, you tell me the watershed book they created:

Parker and CC Beck
    Wrightson and Wein
    EC Segar
    George Herriman - who o might have been the greatest comic creator of them all
    George McManus
    Gardner Fox and artist Bert Christman
    Lou Fine

I’ll do it in two stages. Stage 1..where I have a strong gut feeling I ‘ll do now. Stage 2..where I’ve no idea and will have to do a google to have a very quick look at what people have done before venturing a wild guess I’ll most likely try tomorrow, certainly in next couple of days.

John Ostrander/ Tom Mandrake. Strangely this is one of few cases where I may know enough to confuse myself..I’ve read quite a lot of John Ostrander’s work. The obvious guess here is The Spectre..but actually I preferred their work on Grimjack and Martian Manhunter.

I’ll eliminate Grimjack on basis that from memory Tim Truman was first artist on series, rather than Tom M. And Martian Manhunter on basis that it was a much more “standard” work than Spectre. Spectre though not to my personal taste did difficult feat of telling a long, long story with an ultra high powered lead, and the artwork was sensationally good.

So..I’ve come full circle..and plump for “obvious” guess of Spectre.

Wrightson and Wein. Swamp Thing. I re-read the Alan Moore run a couple of years ago, and thought I’d look at start of series, assuming they would be a “step down”from Alan Moore run, but maybe worth reading. How wrong I was! I thought it was a wonderful run, can easily see it making even your top 20...and well, Swamp Thing is an important part of comics history.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-25-2018 at 01:22 PM.

BANNED

I’ll do it in two stages. Stage 1..where I have a strong gut feeling I ‘ll do now. Stage 2..where I’ve no idea and will have to do a google to have a very quick look at what people have done before venturing a wild guess I’ll most likely try tomorrow, certainly in next couple of days.

John Ostrander/ Tom Mandrake. Strangely this is one of few cases where I may know enough to confuse myself..I’ve read quite a lot of John Ostrander’s work. The obvious guess here is The Spectre..but actually I preferred their work on Grimjack and Martian Manhunter.

I’ll eliminate Grimjack on basis that from memory Tim Truman was first artist on series, rather than Tom M. And Martian Manhunter on basis that it was a much more “standard” work than Spectre. Spectre though not to my personal taste did difficult feat of telling a long, long story with an ultra high powered lead, and the artwork was sensationally good.

So..I’ve come full circle..and plump for “obvious” guess of Spectre.

Wrightson and Wein. Swamp Thing. I re-read the Alan Moore run a couple of years ago, and thought I’d look at start of series, assuming they would be a “step down”from Alan Moore run, but maybe worth reading. How wrong I was! I thought it was a wonderful run, can easily see it making even your top 20...and well, Swamp Thing is an important part of comics history.

That is prety cool, spot on. Now how about the Golden Age works?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Kirby was the greatest.
    My favorite "classic" artist
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I think he also was a great guy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnc5073FlXA