Default Why Was Artemis Named After A Greek Goddess

.... When the Bana had turned their backs on the Greek gods in favour of the Egyptians pantheon?

I don't know if there is an in universe reason for it. I think it was simply 'if Wonder Woman is named Diana after the Roman moon goddess then lets name the Banas hero after the Greek moon goddess' Sefket would have made more sense. Or chosen Orana after the character Artemis is based on.

As for why Wonder Woman is named Diana in universe, thats because Marston established alot of the Greek Gods later changed their names and Artemis took on the name of Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I don't know if there is an in universe reason for it. I think it was simply 'if Wonder Woman is named Diana after the Roman moon goddess then lets name the Banas hero after the Greek moon goddess' Sefket would have made more sense. Or chosen Orana after the character Artemis is based on.

As for why Wonder Woman is named Diana in universe, thats because Marston established alot of the Greek Gods later changed their names and Artemis took on the name of Diana
    Fun fact, Orana is a name of Australian Aboriginal origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    .... When the Bana had turned their backs on the Greek gods in favour of the Egyptians pantheon?
    Was Artemis named before or after the Bana turned away from the Greek gods?
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

I can think of several possible reasons for the different or strange naming traditions:

The writers didn't really care about mytholocial consistency while writing (which they aren't alone in, they didn't care that much in classical time either from author to author).

Artemis is part of the first generation (immortal or nearly immortal) of Amazons, so her name goes back to before the cultural shift of the Bana-Mighdall.

The Bana-Mighdall kept their old names around even after they left their old gods. Within languages, proper names tends to be among the most conservative parts, i.e. they are changed or replaced very slowly.

The Amazons didn't so much pick names from Greek (or Roman) mythology as names from their own mythology, that in turn influenced Greek (and Roman) mythology. The latter is probably the view I lean towards and take in my little series of posts "Revisiting Olympos" about the Greek gods and their relation to the Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Was Artemis named before or after the Bana turned away from the Greek gods?
    After. The Bana Amazons aren't immortal like the Themyscirans and Artemis was born long after the Bana left Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I can think of several possible reasons for the different or strange naming traditions:

The writers didn't really care about mytholocial consistency while writing (which they aren't alone in, they didn't care that much in classical time either from author to author).

Artemis is part of the first generation (immortal or nearly immortal) of Amazons, so her name goes back to before the cultural shift of the Bana-Mighdall.

The Bana-Mighdall kept their old names around even after they left their old gods. Within languages, proper names tends to be among the most conservative parts, i.e. they are changed or replaced very slowly.

The Amazons didn't so much pick names from Greek (or Roman) mythology as names from their own mythology, that in turn influenced Greek (and Roman) mythology. The latter is probably the view I lean towards and take in my little series of posts "Revisiting Olympos" about the Greek gods and their relation to the Amazons.
    I think all of these could work except the bolded.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-24-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Maybe her mother was the sassy sort and celebrated the Banas' rejection of the Greek pantheon by using a god's name for a regular mortal.

It could simply that her mother heard the name and liked it.Another one could simply be since the first queen was Greek some Banas due name their daughters Greek names

I'd guess is was just a play on the Diana/Artemis Roman/Greek mirror and divide (regarding the two characters.)

Barbara Minerva's name plays off her character too. Barbaros in Greek is "strange, foreign" and where we get "barbarian" and "barbaric" (which fits the Perez version of Ms. Minerva) and Minerva is the Roman equivalent of Athena. Kind of fitting as Barbara Minerva was barbaric and Machiavellian in character, as well as a woman of great knowledge (I don't know if I'd say wisdom), strategy, and certainly war-like in disposition. A bit of a twisted version on the "ideals" of Athena.

yeah I don't think there IS an in-universe explanation. so it's because the writer felt like it.