Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I remember when I thought the celestials were scary powerful but after their showing against the beyonders and the recent avengers arc

I just don't have the same impression I used to

They still look cool though
    yep, same.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Back then the Celestials were considered one of the top 2-3 powers in all of the multiverses. Back then Odin would have needed all of the Infinity Stones...the Gauntlet...to slay one Celestial. One Celestial.

But now? Pretty much any cosmic bloke with a grudge and the toy prize from a box of Cracker Jacks can kill a Celestial.

But maybe that is finally changing?

When Ewing established that the Celestials came shortly after First Firmamament I thought that might spell the return of the Celestial Host as one of the preeminent powers. It was their war that brought an end to a cosmic iteration and created the multiverse, iirc. There weren't any "gods" around in the time of the First Firmament aside from the Creator.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I remember when I thought the celestials were scary powerful but after their showing against the beyonders and the recent avengers arc

I just don't have the same impression I used to

They still look cool though
    Even the Beyonders are starting to lose their potency. I was shocked to hear that the group of Abyss, Ex Nihilo, Starbrand, Thor and Hyperion were capable of killing Beyonders. Monica Rambeau seems to think that she can go toe to toe with a Beyonder-like being. And we all know Kevin Brashear doesn't fear them in the least.

But I guess it all depends on which type of Beyonder we're talking about.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Even the Beyonders are starting to lose their potency. I was shocked to hear that the group of Abyss, Ex Nihilo, Starbrand, Thor and Hyperion were capable of killing Beyonders. Monica Rambeau seems to think that she can go toe to toe with a Beyonder-like being. And we all know Kevin Brashear doesn't fear them in the least.

But I guess it all depends on which type of Beyonder we're talking about.
    they made little sense yo me and still don't

3 take out the tribunal others are killed by the Starbrand?

I wonder if we will hear about the proemial gods ever again?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Back then the Celestials were considered one of the top 2-3 powers in all of the multiverses. Back then Odin would have needed all of the Infinity Stones...the Gauntlet...to slay one Celestial. One Celestial.

But now? Pretty much any cosmic bloke with a grudge and the toy prize from a box of Cracker Jacks can kill a Celestial.

But maybe that is finally changing?

When Ewing established that the Celestials came shortly after First Firmamament I thought that might spell the return of the Celestial Host as one of the preeminent powers. It was their war that brought an end to a cosmic iteration and created the multiverse, iirc. There weren't any "gods" around in the time of the First Firmament aside from the Creator.
    Infinity Gauntlet is overselling them a bit. The IG basically makes you Eternity, who is above the Celestials.

But short of that yeah. Odin, pulling out all the stops, in the Destroyer Armor, wielding the Odin Sword, got backhanded when he tried to take a Celestial. A well-fed Galactus can take them, but anything lower than that regularly got wrecked, utterly wrecked.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Infinity Gauntlet is overselling them a bit. The IG basically makes you Eternity, who is above the Celestials.

But short of that yeah. Odin, pulling out all the stops, in the Destroyer Armor, wielding the Odin Sword, got backhanded when he tried to take a Celestial. A well-fed Galactus can take them, but anything lower than that regularly got wrecked, utterly wrecked.
    how do people think odin would have done if it had been just one celestial

I think he would have had a better showing but still lost

Basically.

Mighty Member

This.

Odin with the life force of all Asgardians save Thor, along with the Eternal Uni-Mind (before the ridiculous retcon about not being able to attack Celestials).

Mighty Member

If by better showing, you mean lasting more than a few panels...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    If by better showing, you mean lasting more than a few panels...
    Well I was just thinking odin has stood against galactus for a while, gal has beaten celestials, so I thought it might go a few pages

But I think at this point the celestials were written much stronger than they are now

Likely a couple more scenes and he'd be done

I would actually be very interested in seeing current odin, as he's now written, with the Gauntlet and see where that takes us

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

OG Celestials would have eaten the Infinity GEMS (not Stones) like jawbreakers.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

Iirc in a what if doom had the Gauntlet and the power of the beyonder from secret wars prior to it being scaled down

Fought all the celestials and still won but it took like 400 years or something but it broke the gems and all but depleted him

Well I was just thinking odin has stood against galactus for a while, gal has beaten celestials, so I thought it might go a few pages

But I think at this point the celestials were written much stronger than they are now

Likely a couple more scenes and he'd be done

I would actually be very interested in seeing current odin, as he's now written, with the Gauntlet and see where that takes us
    Galactus scales up and down depending on how well fed he is.

Atmone point.he casually smacked down three Skyfathers at once, including Odin.

Astonishing Member

Galactus scales up and down depending on how well fed he is.

Atmone point.he casually smacked down three Skyfathers at once, including Odin.
    and he's suffered a down grade in stature for years too

When was this smack down you mentioned I'd like to see that

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    OG Celestials would have eaten the Infinity GEMS (not Stones) like jawbreakers.
    Depends on when, who was using them, and how they were being used. When they were just soul gems, I would agree with you, since nobody knew what they truly were (except the original soul gem) and they were being used solely as a power source. Once Thanos discovered their true nature, collected them, and used them to their capabilities, as we saw in the original IG, a competent wielder of the IG effectively supplanted Eternity. Even an incompetent user like Nebula overpowered everyone.