Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Depends on when, who was using them, and how they were being used. When they were just soul gems, I would agree with you, since nobody knew what they truly were (except the original soul gem) and they were being used solely as a power source. Once Thanos discovered their true nature, collected them, and used them to their capabilities, as we saw in the original IG, a competent wielder of the IG effectively supplanted Eternity. Even an incompetent user like Nebula overpowered everyone.
    I never quite understood that part, either. Were they talking about a multiversal instance of Eternity (as there are a number of them) or the great overarching Eternity (the one that constitutes an iteration of the cosmos)? Since the IG is supposed to represent most of the major gems that constitute an iteration of the cosmos, my guess is that any depictions of "Eternity" being defeated was the multiversal version, not the overarching version. The overarching version should be at least equal to the IG, if not superior although at least in the case of First Firmament, we know that it is possible to catch a "weakened" Eternity off guard.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I would actually be very interested in seeing current odin, as he's now written, with the Gauntlet and see where that takes us
    I think Odin is already ridiculously overpowered for a Skyfather. What we need here is some serious checks and balances ... because Odin can be something of a controlling despot, especially when it comes to his family. The old comic book version of Odin especially. He was overbearing, ill-tempered, arrogant, bombastic and could be cruel and petty beyond reason when promoting his own agenda, which he did quite often. There's no way I'd want a ripe old bastard like that anywhere near absolute power, yet here we are. There should be others, and I don't mean just the bloke who Sit Above in Shadow. More stories of Odin getting his clock cleaned by Zeus, Osiris, the Vishanti, Gaea, Atum, etc., would be nice. I'm sure those beings have agendas, too, some of which conflicted with Odin's master plans.

This is why I loved the original concept of the Celestials. They were all so much more powerful than anything Odin had ever faced. That should always be the case.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think Odin is already ridiculously overpowered for a Skyfather. What we need here is some serious checks and balances ... because Odin can be something of a controlling despot, especially when it comes to his family. The old comic book version of Odin especially. He was overbearing, ill-tempered, arrogant, bombastic and could be cruel and petty beyond reason when promoting his own agenda, which he did quite often. There's no way I'd want a ripe old bastard like that anywhere near absolute power, yet here we are. There should be others, and I don't mean just the bloke who Sit Above in Shadow. More stories of Odin getting his clock cleaned by Zeus, Osiris, the Vishanti, Gaea, Atum, etc., would be nice. I'm sure those beings have agendas, too, some of which conflicted with Odin's master plans.

This is why I loved the original concept of the Celestials. They were all so much more powerful than anything Odin had ever faced. That should always be the case.
    I've always thought odin was harsh, but mostly coz he had hidden reasons like prepping for the celestials or another ragnarok not just coz he was a git

he was much more aware of the huge hidden threats his people faced and was burdened by this, and he was a ruler and they tend to be gits at times

That said I would like to see more of the other Skyfathers as you suggested
    Last edited by kilderkin; 09-28-2018 at 03:52 PM.