Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Lex Luthor be put on the back burner for a while?

I love the villain but I feel like he gets used too much and I feel like maybe Superman should have a new nemesis at least for a while I think Ultra Humanite would be a good choice because in the golden age he was superman's nemesis before Luthor and I think it would be a good nod to the classics to have Ultra Humanite return as Superman's foe for a while. I think alternatively a good twist they could go with would be for Lex Luthor to maybe become Ultra Humanite since in the original version Ultra Humanite didn't even know his own true identity.

I tend to think of Lex as part of the supporting cast, rather than a part of the rogues gallery, so I'm not bothered by his constant use.

However, I'd be more than fine if they stopped using him as the "biggest bad" for a while. Let Lex take a break from helping drive the narrative and get back to that puppet master role where he doesn't actually do much or see a ton of panel time but it makes Clark paranoid about any and every threat coming, somehow, from Lex.

I'm really enjoying what Snyder is doing in Justice League with Lex right now (even if the volume is cranked to high, if you get my meaning) but after this I want Lex to take it easy and let some other villains get more attention. Ultra, as you said, would be great. Metallo and Parasite both need an overhaul and upgrade. Intergang. Mongul. Lots of villains out there who could help carry the franchise for a while.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

God yes. I freaking love Lex, he’s my absolute favorite villain, and I consider him the GOAT. But he’s been way, way too overexposed for a long time. I’m tired of him being involved in absolutely everything going on. Let’s give the rest of Superman’s rogues some agency instead of always being just Lex’s lackies. Lex should be left to Snyder, and I’m disappointed that Bendis will already start using him again soon.

I want some focus on Metallo, Parasite, and the others who have lain fallow for way too long.

Ultra Humanite is just Lex in a Gorilla suit though.

I'm pretty Lex-ed out right now. He needs a breather and to not be major player in all the books right now. I say let him be active in JL as part of the Legion of Doom and give him a rest in the Super books for a while.

Yes. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so I think takeing a break from using Luthor and then bringing him back in a big way could be good for the character. Superman has plenty of great villains that can be used when he is away.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Yeah - it's actually a shame that Lex left his "hero" idea as quickly as he did, because it would have opened up room for other villains to shine.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Good Lex, both after Forever Evil and after Rebirth, was my favorite thing DC did with the character in probably his entire history, so frankly yeah, as long as they've burned all those bridges, I don't see any reason for him to stick around so frequently any more.

And completely unrelated to that, Ultra-Humanite is underused. Even if they're just going to use him for what would otherwise have been a Luthor story, just having Ultra involved makes the whole thing more comic booky and fun. And also, I'd like to think you can get a little more vicious with Ultra than you can with Luthor.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Good Lex, both after Forever Evil and after Rebirth, was my favorite thing DC did with the character in probably his entire history, so frankly yeah, as long as they've burned all those bridges, I don't see any reason for him to stick around so frequently any more.

And completely unrelated to that, Ultra-Humanite is underused. Even if they're just going to use him for what would otherwise have been a Luthor story, just having Ultra involved makes the whole thing more comic booky and fun. And also, I'd like to think you can get a little more vicious with Ultra than you can with Luthor.
    I wouldn’t mind Ultra-Humanite being a mob boss in Metropolis as a way of differentiation between him and Lex. Make him more brutal and violent and more focused on money and I think he could be entertaining.

Spectacular Member

Yeah. Joker and Doom too.

Extraordinary Member

A Lex appearance anywhere in the DCU has absolutely no meaning anymore. He's pretty much everywhere all the time for absolutely no reason or the most inconsequential of reasons. An appearance from the arch enemy of the world's greatest superhero should have MEANING. Save him for big stories where readers can have that 'Oh $#!+' moment when he appears.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Wait, I thought peoples were unhappy that Lex wasn't a villain, that it ran contrary to his character and all that. And now, he's returned to villainy for what, six months IRL and he's already overexposed ? Isn't a little strange to already be unahppy with him front and center ?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Wait, I thought peoples were unhappy that Lex wasn't a villain, that it ran contrary to his character and all that. And now, he's returned to villainy for what, six months IRL and he's already overexposed ? Isn't a little strange to already be unahppy with him front and center ?
    Ehhh I felt Lex was already starting to be overused during his heroic stint as well. He was practically the co-star for the first half of Jurgens AC, and then he showed up in Imperius Lex. I’ve felt he’s needed to be benched for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I tend to think of Lex as part of the supporting cast, rather than a part of the rogues gallery, so I'm not bothered by his constant use.

However, I'd be more than fine if they stopped using him as the "biggest bad" for a while. Let Lex take a break from helping drive the narrative and get back to that puppet master role where he doesn't actually do much or see a ton of panel time but it makes Clark paranoid about any and every threat coming, somehow, from Lex.

I'm really enjoying what Snyder is doing in Justice League with Lex right now (even if the volume is cranked to high, if you get my meaning) but after this I want Lex to take it easy and let some other villains get more attention. Ultra, as you said, would be great. Metallo and Parasite both need an overhaul and upgrade. Intergang. Mongul. Lots of villains out there who could help carry the franchise for a while.
    i agree with this completely. i tend to think it's weird when lex isn't used often. it's just like when lois or jimmy go awhile without much spotlight. imo, lex has long evolved past villain-of-the-month status and into the ongoing supporting cast, in whatever role that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    i agree with this completely. i tend to think it's weird when lex isn't used often. it's just like when lois or jimmy go awhile without much spotlight. imo, lex has long evolved past villain-of-the-month status and into the ongoing supporting cast, in whatever role that may be.
    That doesn’t do Supes Rogues Gallery any favors though. If they’re playing second fiddle to Lex they’re never going to develop.