View Poll Results: How do you most clearly see Bizarro?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • A hero: Bizarro is ultimately part of Superman's family

3 14.29%
  • A villain: Bizarro is ultimately part of Superman's rogues gallery

3 14.29%
  • A hybrid: Bizarro is ultimately both hero and villain

4 19.05%
  • A mystery: Bizarro is ultimately neither hero, villain, nor hybrid

10 47.62%
  • A failure: Bizarro is ultimately a mockery of Special Needs

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Bizarro more a part of the Super Family or the Super Rogues?

Well, do you think he is?

If he is part of the SuperFam, then he is probably most like the Jason Todd of the franchise: not maliciously evil, just recklessly destructive, and understood to mean well.

But that same rationale could put him squarely in the Super- Rogues, with the most direct correlation being that Bizarro is most like the Man-Bat of his alpha's rogues gallery: the twisted reflection of the heroic motif.

Perhaps Bizarro's status is truly most like an even mix of the Jason Todd's Red Hood and Kirk Langstrom's Man-Bat: most sympathetic enemy and most destructive ally in one.

Or maybe you think Bizarro doesn't remotely fit any of these roles at all and have something else in mind for him. If so ... what?

Or maybe you think Bizarro just sucks as a concept in general and should be shelved forever. One complaint I've heard is that Bizarro is a mockery of the mentally challenged/ special needs, which ... I GUESS I could maybe see a little bit, if not given context.

Me: I think Bizarro has become far too sympathetic over the last 3 decades or so to be an outright villain. And his recent stint with RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS as part of the "Wild Trinity" (along with Wonder Woman's Artemis) just further cements that idea for me.

What about you?

Where does Bizarro most closely land for you?

Poll forthcoming.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-24-2018 at 07:04 PM.

With Zod around to be the “evil Superman” foe, I far prefer anti-hero Bizarro in RHatO. However I enjoyed the Boyzarro Redeath arc and wouldn’t mind that villainous Bizarro popping up again.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If "alpha" is Batman, I think Bizarro is one of the many clear examples of why Superman doesn't defer. He's different from those characters as Langstrom isn't harmless stupidity and Jason isn't a poor idiot, in the respective descriptions of Lois and Clark. His stupidity and selfishness are their own separate traits, even if they still point to him being a reverse Superman.

Making him a hero, IMO, takes away from the fact that he's designed to cause trouble. Making him a villain doesn't work in the sense that his limited intelligence doesn't really let him betray Superman's sympathy. I guess mystery is the closest, though he;s a little too facile for that actual title.

In my opinion, there should be more than one Bizarro: a goofy Bizarro #1 that hangs out on Bizarroworld, Byrne's tragic mute, and a brute that needs to get punched once in a while.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There have actually been several Bizarros important for the stories aside from just....well, the planet full of them. Also, A. Bizarro was a totally great example of why the Bizarro story is so surprisingly useful to science fiction.

Astonishing Member

To me Bizarro is a tragic figure. He has the same impulses as Superman, so he should be a hero. But his warped mind makes him a menace. So at the end of the day he isn't a bad guy which keeps him out of the villain's roster but he is more of a threat than a help which keeps him from being an ally. He's the Old Yeller of the Superman Family.

I am not sure if choose A mystery or A failure: Bizarro is ultimately a mockery of Special Needs(I am agree with this)

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    To me Bizarro is a tragic figure. He has the same impulses as Superman, so he should be a hero. But his warped mind makes him a menace. So at the end of the day he isn't a bad guy which keeps him out of the villain's roster but he is more of a threat than a help which keeps him from being an ally. He's the Old Yeller of the Superman Family.
    Yeah this.

I agree with this. But I also believe that more than a threat Bizarro is a "responsibility" that Superman must assume as his. Particularly the Bizarro who is accidentally created by a duplicator ray as he didn't ask to be created.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

There is more than one Bizzaro, so this question is tricky.

Bizzaro #1 from Bizzaro world is ultimately neither a hero or a villain. He is very unintelligent and that can lead him to do the wrong thing.

The Bizzaro from Red Hood and the Outlaws is a hero. He is unintelligent but because of Jason Todd and Artemis's nurturing of him, he has become a hero.
    Last edited by KC; 09-25-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    There is more than one Bizzaro, so this question is tricky.

Bizzaro #1 from Bizzaro world is ultimately neither a hero or a villain. He is very unintelligent and that can lead him to do the wrong thing.

The Bizzaro from Red Hood and the Outlaws is a hero. He is unintelligent but because of Jason Todd and Artemis's nurturing of him, he has become a hero.
    Yeah, it definitely depends on which Bizarro we're talking about. My favorites are the one from "Red Hood and the Outlaws," and the one from the 90's "Bizarro World" - who's sympathetic but just doesn't have his head on straight.

Old Yeller! LOL! The "rabid dog" of the Super-verse? I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I agree with this. But I also believe that more than a threat Bizarro is a "responsibility" that Superman must assume as his. Particularly the Bizarro who is accidentally created by a duplicator ray as he didn't ask to be created.
    I see this also. I would say that, in general, nobody "asks" to be created, but definitely agree that Superman sees containing him from a sense of responsibility.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Yeah, I think these two opinions nail it for me. A character need not be evil to be an antagonist; it's one of the things that makes me love Biz.

Hey, what are peoples opinions on "Bizarro talk"? Is broken english enough, or should he talk in reverse all the time?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Hey, what are peoples opinions on "Bizarro talk"? Is broken english enough, or should he talk in reverse all the time?
    The broken English is easier to understand. The reverse meaning stuff gets too convoluted. Is the opposite of "I am good"- "(Not me) not bad" or "Me are bad"? Would Luthor be Bizarro's son (opposite of father), his destroyer (opposite of creator) or would he use both terms for the same concept?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I like the reverse speak when it has rules - and I don't like when it gets too "into the weeds". The reverse-speak can be a nice parable for language barriers and can be good for all kinds of different mood settings, if used right.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/