Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Wolverine fans vote with their wallet...
    True. People have to be honest, characters like Cyclops, Emma or even Jean have small but very vocal fanbases. this is why they win these meaningless polls on twitter but in reality guys like wolverine, deadpool or cable sell more.
    Logan is usually in a bad place in these polls but he is without doubt the most popular and rentable x-man. one can't trust these rankings because you don't for example see Cyclops, Emma or Jean carrying a solo while Logan has carried multiple books and minis for decades.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 09-25-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Wolverine fans vote with their wallet...
    Not necessarily true. It's easy to be in high selling books when you're in every book, that's increased probability.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Not necessarily true. It's easy to be in high selling books when you're in every book, that's increased probability.
    Except that Logan is the one who makes those books sell. This is why marvel puts a wolverine on every team and logan in many (including avengers) because he sells, if for example Emma or Cyclops were as popular (outside of twitter/facebook/etc) as Logan marvel would milk them and put them on every book but they don't draw as much sales.
    This is the kind of popularity that realy matters.

Oh it's most definitely true. If we were to go by polls and such, one would think Wolverine was one of the lowest selling characters of all time. Like what was said above, these polls don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. I mean there was a time where Cyclops and Emma was appearing in pretty much every X-book because of their defacto "king and queen" status of the mutants as some of the fans might say, but given their chance at a solo book, their books didn't quite move the needle and that's fine. Some characters just aren't cut out for that or some could argue that some of the X-books over the past decade was kinda like Cyclops solos with the rest of the mutants as a supporting cast.

Maybe so but he's been shoe horned into plenty of brands that sold on their own too. He isn't the biggest draw in every books he's appeared in. The Avengers never needed him to boost their sales.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    True. People have to be honest, characters like Cyclops, Emma or even Jean have small but very vocal fanbases. this is why they win these meaningless polls on twitter but in reality guys like wolverine, deadpool or cable sell more.
    Logan is usually in a bad place in these polls but he is without doubt the most popular and rentable x-man. one can't trust these rankings because you don't for example see Cyclops, Emma or Jean carrying a solo while Logan has carried multiple books and minis for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Except that Logan is the one who makes those books sell. This is why marvel puts a wolverine on every team and logan in many (including avengers) because he sells, if for example Emma or Cyclops were as popular (outside of twitter/facebook/etc) as Logan marvel would milk them and put them on every book but they don't draw as much sales.
    This is the kind of popularity that realy matters.
    Scott/emma can,if marvel tries it.Marvel is too afraid to get out of their comfort zone to make it work.That's why there is a wolverine in every book to keep his popularity in check.

BANNED

Maybe so but he's been shoe horned into plenty of brands that sold on their own too. He isn't the biggest draw in every books he's appeared in. The Avengers never needed him to boost their sales.
    Exactly,i agree.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Scott/emma can,if marvel tries it.Marvel is too afraid to get out of their comfort zone to make it work.That's why there is a wolverine in every book to keep his popularity in check.
    I like Cyclops but he can't. Outside of Logan the x-men are supporting characters, they need others to work because they can't do anything alone.

Cyclops' personality is a hindrance to him holding down a solo book. He's more of a loner than Wolverine ever was, kinda Batman-ish without the charisma. To me always came of as that guy who sits in a library by himself(because he alienates everybody)just plotting random stuff.

I wqs wondering how much it would take for the pissing contest to start.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I wqs wondering how much it would take for the pissing contest to start.

Ain't nobody tryin to be R. Kelly in here. I actually like Cyclops, the boyscout/hero version that is. It's like most Cyclops fans I come across don't prefer that guy though. Cyclops was like Superman and Steve Rogers(2 other character I like), but when he turned Magneto Jr. I took less interest in the character. That's just me though.

They did try it for over a decade

This is good for a bit of silly fun, and JDW actually taking the time to go through 1000+ entries is admirable effort on his part. If it's used as anything more, then it's a mistake.

Results are dependent upon a) having a Twitter account, b) feeling like tweeting to him, and c) knowing this is happening within a short time frame. Three areas where a potential answer might be lost. Most fans of a character happen to be on Tumblr or Instagram but not Twitter? No voice. Word among a fanbase doesn't spread fast enough? No voice.

Twitter *is* valuable to an extent. You can see how many people put a character in a top 10 list across several months, you can see how passionate a character's fans are and what they like or dislike, you can get a very rough idea of whether or not there's interest for more or for a solo or what have you. But "who's your one favorite character" with all answers needing to come in within the span of a day doesn't work as anything more than a bit of fun.

Obviously, it doesn't hurt to answer. It just doesn't mean a lot in terms of accuracy. If it did, I would've been posting it to the Polaris thread, to Tumblr, and repeatedly on Twitter in addition to DMs. Instead, I simply answered, retweeted once and left it at that.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    They did try it for over a decade
    And they butcherd it at the very end.
    And "04-"11 is not a decade.
    And at the same time they were assassinating the x-men as a whole.

Funny thing is that this poll really won't change their plans. Companies rarely listen to their fans in non-scientific polls. The people most likely to respond are those who feel their character has been wronged or are upset they're absent, which explains why so many Cyclops fans (and to a lesser extent, Emma fans) are responding.