Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is Marvel in a killing mood as of late? *Spoilers inside*

Seems like a lot of death is happening in Marvel comics.
    Off the top of my head we have
    Extermination for the X-Men which has given us some dead mutants
    Death of the Inhumans which is giving us dead inhumans
    Death of Daredevil in October
    Thanos was killed in infinity wars
    The Eternals were killed in Avengers

I am sure I am missing some too feel free to list any I missed. Why is Marvel killing off so many characters as of late what is going on at the house of ideas it seems like the only idea they have is to kill people off. I know death isn't permanent in comics but it should still mean something and it just seems like all these deaths are meaningless.
    Is this part of some larger picture or is it just pure coincidence that all these characters are being killed off?

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Hawkeye Kate Bishop View Post

I am sure I am missing some too feel free to list any I missed. Why is Marvel killing off so many characters as of late what is going on at the house of ideas it seems like the only idea they have is to kill people off. I know death isn't permanent in comics but it should still mean something and it just seems like all these deaths are meaningless.
    Is this part of some larger picture or is it just pure coincidence that all these characters are being killed off?
    Some of these will be reset at the end of the respective events. So not all deaths are valid.

The reason is simple it seems that it is difficult to catch the attention of readers today without promoting some death in some event. In addition killing characters is a good way to clear the board and prepare the ground for upcoming plots and events for writers.

Of course they have abused it so much that nowadays it no longer has the same impact but it is still enough to catch the attention of readers.

Probably just the defunct truism of it will generate attention and sales.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Fall is approaching. everything dies.

Invincible Member

Most of these are just marketing stunts.

iMan 42s

Death is used because it is a cheap and easy to use storytelling technique.
    Marvel is in a killing mood "lately" because killing off a character or group of characters gets attention especially if they have some form of pop-culture resonance. People react hostilely when their favorite character gets killed off, and has been proven that people will go out of their way to pick up the comic to see just what the Hell happened. Meaning that people will buy the book to find out, or someone becomes interested in the book and buys it or a bit of the back catalogue.

Now that isn't always the case with death. Creators don't always kill off a character or group just so they can get their 15 minutes of fame on Twitter and a couple extra hate bucks thrown their way, but it's usually the case. A well crafted and meaningful death in comics is few and far between. It's rare that death actually is written well because it's usually their (the creators) way to hype interest. And even then death is so easily undone in comics especially when the prior death was bad or the creators get a nostalgia boner. So when a death happens in comics it's also all the more reason to hype it up. Somebody is going to try and undo it especially if the death was written poorly and you only have so much time on a title because of the way the market shifts.

It's basically a problem the entire industry faces, not just Marvel.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Death has always been a part of comics. Marvel is no more "death happy" now than they've ever been.

My first Avengers comic was Avengers Annual #7, back in '77, and that was quite the grim slaughter with Gamora, Pip and Adam Warlock all going down!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Fall is approaching. everything dies.
    I hate raking dead superheroes. Amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Death has always been a part of comics. Marvel is no more "death happy" now than they've ever been.

My first Avengers comic was Avengers Annual #7, back in '77, and that was quite the grim slaughter with Gamora, Pip and Adam Warlock all going down!
    How did it feel starting with a classic? I imagine there'd be some kind of letdown as so much following was unable to match that first book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    How did it feel starting with a classic? I imagine there'd be some kind of letdown as so much following was unable to match that first book.
    Nah. For one, starting with a classic is never bad! For another, as a kid - and like most kids, I suppose - my comic book buying was very sporadic and wholly dependent on what I could convince my mother to spend money on at the grocery or drug store so it was like I became a regular Avengers reader immediately after that. In fact, it wasn't until years later that I read the Marvel Two-In-One that continues the Avengers Annual #7 story - and I will say I always thought that was a weak follow-up. The Avengers issue is just next level good while the Two-In-One story is ok at best.

Death has no meaning in comics
    The J-man

BANNED

To boost sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    It's like a badge of honor these days. You know a character made it big when there's a "Death of..." event based around them.

Mighty Member

At this point, death is just an unpaid vacation to Marvel Superheroes. No one stays dead except Uncle Ben.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Especially when you die annually like Daken.