Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    At this point, death is just an unpaid vacation to Marvel Superheroes. No one stays dead except Uncle Ben.
    What if if they brought back Uncle Ben and Spider-Man goes through an identity crisis and became "The Irresponsible Spider-Man"?

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    At this point, death is just an unpaid vacation to Marvel Superheroes. No one stays dead except Uncle Ben.
    If I ever get a job at Marvel my first storyline will be Uncle Ben returning from the grave.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Nah. For one, starting with a classic is never bad! For another, as a kid - and like most kids, I suppose - my comic book buying was very sporadic and wholly dependent on what I could convince my mother to spend money on at the grocery or drug store so it was like I became a regular Avengers reader immediately after that. In fact, it wasn't until years later that I read the Marvel Two-In-One that continues the Avengers Annual #7 story - and I will say I always thought that was a weak follow-up. The Avengers issue is just next level good while the Two-In-One story is ok at best.
    The first book I managed to actually collect from marvel was secret wars back in the 80's, as you say till then it had been sporadic

I can still recall how I felt when I thought all the heroes had died under the mountain

I do think death is more common now, but likely thats just coz I see more books

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    If I ever get a job at Marvel my first storyline will be Uncle Ben returning from the grave.
    Had Uncle Ben eaten his wheat cakes the morning of the day he died, he would have been able to work the revolving door on Marvel's afterlife.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Had Uncle Ben eaten his wheat cakes the morning of the day he died, he would have been able to work the revolving door on Marvel's afterlife.
    I remember hearing about a sort of legend years ago, only 3 marvel characters were sure to stay dead

Bucky, mar vell and uncle ben

So who knows?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    To boost sales?
    DING DING DING! We have a winner!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    What if if they brought back Uncle Ben and Spider-Man goes through an identity crisis and became "The Irresponsible Spider-Man"?
    cw and omd kind of tick the box.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I remember hearing about a sort of legend years ago, only 3 marvel characters were sure to stay dead

Bucky, mar vell and uncle ben

So who knows?

Right now it is most probable for uncle ben to return than Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    No, it should be revealed how Uncle Ben faked his death.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 09-25-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Right now it is most probable to uncle ben to return than Mar-Vell.

No, it should be revealed how Uncle Ben faked his death.
    Aunt May makes a deal with Mephisto to erase her and Ben adopting Peter to have Ben back and Ben dies the next day of natural causes it's literally One More Day.

Lazy writing.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Right now it is most probable for uncle ben to return than Mar-Vell.
    Eh, I don't think so. Uncle Ben has no use for Marvel in the bigger scheme of things, as he'll always be a plot device for Peter Parker. Mar-Vell, on the other hand, has more baggage and more reasons to be used again. Specially now that Captain Marvel is on its way to become a movie franchise, depending on how (or if at all) he's used there, I can see Marvel feeling tempted to synergize things.

They just have no great ideas anymore and they rely to much on death and shock value to sell comics which is why I quit Marvel. Since they can't seem to stop, I say just kill everybody and get it over with and see how well they'll sell at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lazy writing.
    I get your meaning, but I'd probably phrase it more as writers wanting to do a death and remorse and results of a death story.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

At least Rick Remender doesn’t work at Marvel anymore. He was like the angel of death. I feel like he killed a character every issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lazy writing.
    And that would be lazy criticism.

As some of the best stories in Marvel history involve death - whether it be Gwen Stacy, Capt. Stacy, The Phoenix, Elektra, Captain Mar-vell, Jean DeWolff, Brubaker's Death of Captain America, or Slott's Superior Spider-Man, it seems like death is a very rich topic for stories. You can judge them individually as to their effectiveness but making a kneejerk condemnation of any story involving death is ridiculous.