Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I mean - it's not just Marvel, and at least other than Daredevil Marvel has only really killed off characters that they have either brought back right away in some type of way (like Cable) or that people are really not going to miss very much in the long run (the Inhumans).

Over at DC spoilers:
    they killed off Roy Harper and, stupidly, Wally West.
    end of spoilers That's a mistake.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Of course, they are all cheap gimmicks that will be overturned when actual good writers come. I suspect a few will be reset at the end of the story.

I don't even think this is "of late."
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I mean - it's not just Marvel, and at least other than Daredevil Marvel has only really killed off characters that they have either brought back right away in some type of way (like Cable) or that people are really not going to miss very much in the long run (the Inhumans).

Over at DC spoilers:
    Apparently you think no one cared about Jean Grey's death because they didn't immediately bring her back and replaced her with Emma and Hope. Her death was worse than Scott's, and there are still people who claim Magneto was right.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Apparently you think no one cared about Jean Grey's death because they didn't immediately bring her back and replaced her with Emma and Hope. Her death was worse than Scott's, and there are still people who claim Magneto was right.
    ... What?

I have no clue where you got any of that considering I was talking about nowadays, and the only time Marvel replaced Jean in the way they have Cable was with her teen self.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Death has no meaning in comics
    tell that to Ben Parker

and well no one else.

never mind

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    tell that to Ben Parker

and well no one else.

never mind
    Bill Foster is still giant and buried for the last 13 years.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Bill Foster is still giant and buried for the last 13 years.
    Man, that image of him in the grave is still terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    And that would be lazy criticism.

As some of the best stories in Marvel history involve death - whether it be Gwen Stacy, Capt. Stacy, The Phoenix, Elektra, Captain Mar-vell, Jean DeWolff, Brubaker's Death of Captain America, or Slott's Superior Spider-Man, it seems like death is a very rich topic for stories. You can judge them individually as to their effectiveness but making a kneejerk condemnation of any story involving death is ridiculous.
    No it's not.
    Death used to mean something.
    Now it doesn't.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post

Over at DC spoilers:
    One of those characters "died" before, I'm sure it's not permanent at least for him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No it's not.
    Death used to mean something.
    Now it doesn't.
    But good stories can still be told involving death. It's lazy to pre-judge them, or any story, for that matter.

And while we as readers know that most (but not all) comic book deaths are temporary, the characters within that world don't have the same blase attitude so there is still much drama to be had when a character falls.

Ultimate Member

Name me another way to give a story any consequences these days.

When a series replaces a writer, the plots all go out the window. We know this, the writers know we know this, and the editors don't care. So death, which usually forces a writer to make some effort in bringing the character back, is the only way to ensure the story is referenced.

I say usually, mind. We have hack writers like Bendis who brought back Doc Sampson for just one damn scene, despite several stories confirming him to be 'really dead'.

If the writers don't care about ongoing plots (that aren't their own), why should we?