Gambit
    Nightcrawler
    Iceman
    Magneto
    Apocalypse
    Mr. Sinister
    Mystique

BANNED

I disagree with Colossus and Mystique being in the Top 12. They're among the Top 24 at best, but they're hardly central characters in terms of defining the X-Men. I'd replace them with Iceman, Psylocke or Gambit.

As for the second group of 12, assuming you're sticking with your first 12, I'd say that the second group would be:

Iceman, Angel, Psylocke, Gambit, Bishop, Jubilee, Shadowcat, Magik, X-23, Cable, Polaris & Havok. Dazzler & Banshee are close behind but haven't been used often enough IMO to warrant their inclusion.

Deadpool is X-Men adjacent but isn't critical to the franchise, as he's often off doing his own thing, and isn't even a mutant. As for Sabretooth, I don't think he's an important enough villain to be that high in the rankings.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    It's not JLaw doing it. It's the fact that she suddenly got popular and they decided to make her a hero. Wasn't her idea.
    I did't say it was. I'm saying that the love of her (JLaw )as an actress has helped propel this version of Mystique into roles within the X-Men I personally disagree with and don't think would be a natural fit for the character. I think Mystique is an important person to the X-Men franchise as a whole for numerous reasons outside of JLaw, I just don't think it's deserving above Kitty or Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Beast, Emma, and Mystique do not belong on this list.
    I agree with you on Mystique for wave one. But the others here are my thoughts:

Beast - Beast is a very well known commodity due to his length of service to the team, as well as his visuals. Aside from being well known in the comics, those who have grown up watching any of the animated shows would instantly recognize him as he is been strongly represent in those. As well as the movies where his character has appeared in most of the films in some capacity. He has more brand recognition than many others.

Emma - She's on the fence for me but her elevated role over the past decade in the comics puts her towards the top 24. Her character has had limited roles in the film franchise, but she has appeared in all versions of the cartoons, and in many a large role. So she does have recognition.

Mystique - I honestly think the chosen screen representation of her (essentially nude) and the two famous actresses playing her is what has pushed her to be in the top 24, but I personally don't think she deserves to be in the top 12.

BANNED

I don't agree with your first twelve, it should be

Xavier,
    Phoenix,
    Wolverine,
    Storm,
    Cyclops,
    Iceman,
    Polaris,
    Havok,
    Rogue,
    Kitty
    Gambit
    Psylocke

Next twelve

Beast
    Angel
    Cannonball
    Magik
    Colossus
    Nightcrawler
    Moonstar
    Dazzler
    Cable
    Cypher

Emma (? give me a break)
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-26-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Emma (? give me a break)
    I think you misunderstand the premise of the thread. From a comprehensive, alien perspective, what are the top twelve (and next twelve after that) characters in the X-franchise that best represent the X-Men's mythology, worldbuild, and brand? Magneto isn't considered a classic member of the X-Men, but he IS representative of the X-Men story. He, Mystique, and Frost are all incredibly strong personalities with distinct perspectives on power, responsibility, survival, and the future. Of those on the first page, I actually feel Colossus is the weakest of the bunch, but he gets tons of points for having interests and career aspirations outside of his mutant status and adventurous environment. That's an important element to include, especially considering how insular and incestuous the X-Men can become.

Going to add Apocalypse and Caliban to next twelve consideration.

Emma definitely counts, she represents the mutant villain turns mutant hero trope like Rogue does.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Emma definitely counts, she represents the mutant villain turns mutant hero trope like Rogue does.
    Not only that, but she sits in opposition and criticism of Xavier's optimism and totalitarianism wrt mutant politics. Plus she's a clear challenging antagonist in the Phoenix story, possessions of Storm & Iceman, cruel manipulation of various X-ingenues, and important member of the Morrison and Whedon revisions.

Definitely. Morrison and Whedon's runs are the most impactful/iconic of the modern age and she was front and center for both.

Agree

My top 12 would be: Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Professor X, Beast, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Kitty Pryde, Iceman and Emma Frost.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Emma Frost
    Rogue
    Cyclops
    Storm
    Jean
    Wolverine
    Psylocke
    Jubilee
    Iceman
    Gambit
    Bishop
    Pixie
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Agree

My top 12 would be: Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Professor X, Beast, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Kitty Pryde, Iceman and Emma Frost.
    So you agree about Mystique?