Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you read all things Spidey each month?

I have to admit I only pick up ASM each month for my Spidey fix. I was reading Scarlet Spider, but bailed on it before issue 10 I think. I don't even know what Spectacular is about, or the plain Spider-Man ongoing is either. Couldn't even begin to tell you what spider geddon is.

I consider myself a huge Spidey fan, but I have to admit seeing all these monthlies that I never pick up is starting to make me question my fan level.

Am I missing out on Spidey gold???

BANNED

I only just started spending money on ASM again after years of byrne-stealing.

I picked up Renew Your Vows when it came out, and I read the ASM daily strip every morning first thing.

I'm not interested in another bloodbath like Spidergeddon.

I used to but not anymore. Firstly, it's just way too expensive to keep up on just Spider-titles; if there are 10 titles monthly (a safe bet and some double-ship), that is a minimum of $40 per month with no extra-sized issues.

Secondly, I just don't think some of the titles----such as Spider-Gwen and Spidey/Deadpool---are very good at all.

I of course buy ASM and Peter Parker:Spectacular Spider-Man regularly as well as Renew Your Vows, even though that title has fallen off a bit in my eyes. Ben Reilly has been good but not great IMO and I also think Miles Morales is better served in his own universe.

For a publisher obsessed with publishing so many spider-titles, I really wish they would publish a Peter-centric anthology series or something along the lines of the early '00's "Tangled Web" or "Webspinners" again.

Can anyone breakdown all the Spidey titles? Who's the focus in those, which universe does it take place in, etc.

Everything from 2015 to present:

Amazing Spider-Man - stars Peter Parker of Earth-616.
    Spider-Man - stars Miles Morales, formerly of Earth-1610, who got transplanted to 616 at the end of the Secret Wars event.
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man - also stars Peter Parker of Earth-616.
    Silk - stars Cindy Moon of Earth-616, who was introduced in the Original Sin event.
    Spider-Woman - stars Jessica Drew of Earth-616.
    Spider-Man 2099 - stars Miguel O'Hara of the 2099 universe, who was stuck in 616.
    Spider-Gwen - stars Gwen Stacy of Earth-65, who was introduced in Spider-Verse.
    Spidey - stars a teenage Peter Parker, in an alternate universe. Has a digital sequel called Spidey: School's Out.
    Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider - stars Ben Reilly of Earth-616, spun off from the Clone Conspiracy event.
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows - stars an alternate universe Peter Parker who is still married to Mary Jane and has a daughter, Annie. The girls become heroes themselves, called Spinneret and Spiderling.
    Spider-Men II - Peter Parker and Miles Morales team-up mini-series.
    Spider-Man/Deadpool - Peter Parker teams up with Wade Wilson, who at the time this series started was an Avenger.
    Venom - currently stars Eddie Brock of Earth-616, but it used to be Flash Thompson.
    Web Warriors - Team book starring Anya Corazon of Earth-616, Gwen Stacy of Earth-65, Mayday Parker of MC2, and several other multiverse spider heroes.

tl/dr - all books are set on 616 except Spidey, Renew Your Vows, Spider-Gwen and Web Warriors.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-27-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Omitted Web Warriors
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I have to admit I only pick up ASM each month for my Spidey fix. I was reading Scarlet Spider, but bailed on it before issue 10 I think. I don't even know what Spectacular is about, or the plain Spider-Man ongoing is either. Couldn't even begin to tell you what spider geddon is.

I consider myself a huge Spidey fan, but I have to admit seeing all these monthlies that I never pick up is starting to make me question my fan level.

Am I missing out on Spidey gold???
    Just a matter of preference on if you are missing out on anything. From a standpoint of connectivity, not really as none of titles required you to read others for the big picture. Even the crossover events can usually be followed from the main title, without reading the other books.

I read AMZ, Spectacular and. Ben Reilly but for me, only Amazing is worth reading. I’m just sticking with Reilly because the book is almost over and will drop Spectacular after the Spider geddon issues (I feel it’s just a spider-man team up book and not really into that).
    Last edited by wleakr; 09-25-2018 at 12:01 PM.

My pull list for Spider-Man currently consists of Amazing Spider-Man, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, and Spider-Geddon. I'm also planning to pick up the first couple Miles Morales: Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man, and then will decide if I want to continue with them or not.

No, i do givw a fair chance to almost everything, but if he doesn't convince i drop it, AMS was the only exception in that regard until around Clone Conspiracy.

Do ASM and Spectacular exist in the same current 616 universe with Peter as the main character?

I tend to give myself a tight comics budge per month, so I generally by titles that 1) feature characters I'm interested in and 2) probably won't have hot sales.

So, in that spirit, I've bought Scarlet Spider and Spider-Gwen monthly to show immediate support, while I picked up all of Brand New Day and Slott's run in tpbs on the secondhand market -- and I plan on continuing this by eventually getting the current ASM issues in trade.

A lot of the tertiary titles do get ignored, unfortunately, although that's one of the best things about posting here: hearing about stuff I never read so I can go back and check it out.

Ten year old me bought every Spidey comic available, but adult me has tried to branch out a little

-Pav, who would buy five copies a month of a revived (and excellent) Slingers title featuring the Scarlet Spiders...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Do ASM and Spectacular exist in the same current 616 universe with Peter as the main character?
    Yes

the upcoming event Spider-geddon will heavily feature Peter parker of 616 as well it will have tie in issue sto Spectacular.

Thats the three i myself follow. but i'm gonna give Superior and the new miles book a shot in December with their new number 1's
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

BANNED

No way I could afford to pick up every Spidey-related title and stealing comics is just straight up scummy so I limit myself to the main titles, ASM and Spec, and get whatever peripheral titles that catch my interest when I have the cash for them but will quickly drop books that don't really grab me. I haven't gotten any of the Edge of Spider-verse books but I plan to try and follow the main series.

I also will be getting the new Miles and SpOck books.

I get floppies of AMS. I read PPSM, Venom, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales Spider-Man, and Scarlet Spider on the Marvel Unlimited app. Sometimes I will read a Spider-Man/Deadpool story but not regularly. Do not read Renew Your Vows.

Currently reading:
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man
    Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider

However, I don't read them as and when they come out. I usually wait and then binge read 4-6 issues in one sitting.

I am on the verge of giving up PP: Spectacular Spider-man, though. Recent issues are a big yawnfest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    I get floppies of AMS. I read PPSM, Venom, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales Spider-Man, and Scarlet Spider on the Marvel Unlimited app. Sometimes I will read a Spider-Man/Deadpool story but not regularly. Do not read Renew Your Vows.
    I've fallen behind on Scarlet tho.