Fantastic Member

Default Guilty as charge

Just wonder has anyone done' what I have, in the past? That is to let others sway or colour my own opinions. I mean I was too quick to jump on the 'let' s diss the New 52' bandwagon without giving all the titles a proper chance or even experiencing for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Just wonder has anyone done' what I have, in the past? That is to let others sway or colour my own opinions. I mean I was too quick to jump on the 'let' s diss the New 52' bandwagon without giving all the titles a proper chance or even experiencing for myself.
    Unfortunately, I did exprience it myself. Lol.
    But in hindsight, I probably would've been more receptive to the New52 if I had just stuck to a few titles at launch instead of trying them all out.
    The bad apples just spoiled the bunch for me.

I don't think I've ever let others sway my opinion on comics to the point of not liking them.

If anything, I do tend to lose interest in something if it becomes too popular, though. Kinda like a reverse-sway, I guess.
    I see how everyone goes crazy for something and it just turns me off entirely, to where I don't even give the book or character a chance.
    However this tends to be mostly with characters. Such as Cable, Venom, Lobo, Punisher, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Bishop, Dark Knight Batman.
    But there was a time I simply would turn my nose up to X-Men because they were 'too popular'. And this was after I enjoyed them in the '80s.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    For me, it’s unavoidable. I have a limited financial situation, so I can’t afford to buy everything I’m interested in. Thus, I have to read around to find out what’s in something before I buy it.

I used to just buy what interested, but it resulted in me burning quite a bit of money on things I ultimately disliked and got rid of. That said, I do try to find positive, negative, and neutral sources before I make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    For me, it’s unavoidable. I have a limited financial situation, so I can’t afford to buy everything I’m interested in. Thus, I have to read around to find out what’s in something before I buy it.

I used to just buy what interested, but it resulted in me burning quite a bit of money on things I ultimately disliked and got rid of. That said, I do try to find positive, negative, and neutral sources before I make a decision.
    I remember the Fourth Rail's reviews leading me to try out the Bendis Daredevil, the Brubaker Catwoman and 100 Bullets.
    It took me a long time to find a review site that I could gel with. And I think Major Spoilers is the one I went to after they shut down.
    Now, I use Comic Book Roundup, since it aggregates almost all the review sites into one hub.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I remember the Fourth Rail's reviews leading me to try out the Bendis Daredevil, the Brubaker Catwoman and 100 Bullets.
    It took me a long time to find a review site that I could gel with. And I think Major Spoilers is the one I went to after they shut down.
    Now, I use Comic Book Roundup, since it aggregates almost all the review sites into one hub.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

DC has had a few relaunches since 2011 but the point is that the majority of books at the start of the new 52 are gone

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    DC has had a few relaunches since 2011 but the point is that the majority of books at the start of the new 52 are gone
    The majority? All of them ended at this point. Though I don't know what that has to do with this thread.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post

That sounds lime a plan for me. Only problem is when reviews are polarized! Great' when the consensus is all one-sided, I can then reckon what's a safe bet to try and what to avoid. Like the New 52 'Teen Titans' which if my memory serves me right was universally criticized. Mind you' still gave that a try. Live and learn.