Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default 31 Days & Nights of Halloween: 2018 Edition

The annual tradition creeps upon us once again.

The goal, as always, shall be to view one (or more) movie for each day of October. Mark your progress and remember that an episode of a TV show doesn't count. Choose movies at random or try to follow themes, it's up to you.

Here's a handy guide of macabre flicks available on TV and streaming channels in October.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

All Right, Been Hoping this would be Started up again this Year, Thanks Jared!!!

Been getting ready with a Library of My Movies I want to see this year for the contest, Looking Forward to Participating again!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

My wife does not like anything that's too scary or creepy at all. I have enjoyed horror films since around 7th grade. That means that I'm lucky to watch one Halloween movie every year. However, I look forward to reading through this thread every year.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    My wife does not like anything that's too scary or creepy at all. I have enjoyed horror films since around 7th grade. That means that I'm lucky to watch one Halloween movie every year. However, I look forward to reading through this thread every year.
    What about Halloween-themed comedies? Hocus Pocus, Teen Wolf, Beetlejuice, etc...
    Last edited by Jared; 09-27-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

Huge fan of the horror film genre, ever since I was a kid. I'm not so much into films with a ton of "Shock value" blood & gore (though I will watch them)...instead, I'm primarily in films that are more creepy/atmospheric - this is by no means a comprehensive list:

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1973)

Burnt Offerings (1976)

The Sentinel (1977)

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

Halloween - original (1978)

The Witch (2015) - one of the best horror films I've seen; extremely well-done, disturbing, and almost gothic in tone.

A Quiet Place (2018)

Candyman (1992)

Flatliners - original (1990)

The Stand TV mini-series (1994)

House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Session 9 (2001)

Silent Hill I (2006)

Dawn of the Dead re-make (2004) - one of the few "gory" films on this list

House of the Devil (2009) - excellent 200X's film that was produced in the "style" of a late '70's/early '80's low budget horror flick. Extremely creepy & effective.

Astonishing Member

Cool.
    Will try to watch a horror movie per day during October.

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    Same for me, I have to sneak them in after she's in bed or I'll drive her away to hide in the bedroom.

My first movie on October 1st is going to be Texas Chainsaw Massacre Next Gen I think. Does the Venom movie count as horror"
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Starting with two movies for the first of October.

Will be giving a note between 1.0 to 10 to each movie i watch.With 10 being a really scary movie and one being a non scary movie and just having flaws in being a good horror movie.

1-Hush (2016). A all right horror movie. 5.5

2-Rings (2017) Slightly better that the previous movie,but still just a all right horror movie. 5.5
    Last edited by comicscollector; 10-01-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Incredible Member

October 1. Suspiria (1977).

Began the season with a film often considered a classic that I've never seen before. And it has a remake coming later this year.

While I hadn't seen this movie, I soon realized I've seen innumerable variations on the "new student at a school/camp learns runs into dark occult stuff." This wasn't anywhere near as gory as I was expecting from its reputation. It's got nothing on Day of the Dead, Hellraiser, The Fly, etc...
    There are some pretty brutal deaths, though.

The production design and the soundtrack are real highlights. Though, at times there so much ominous sound that I didn't know what was diagetic and what wasn't.

I wish some of the supporting characters and the whole wotchcraft angle had been explored a bit more. Basically, only the main girl and her friend matter, despite a bunch of introductions to other students. An appearance by an incredibly young-looking Udo Kier really startled me. Udo Kier was young?!

It's not quite a must-see for me, but the remake had a damn good trailer and an intriguing cast.

Another Dario Argento movie, Inferno, is on my new of my queues. Apparent the movies along with Mother of Tears make up a thematic trilogy by him.

I'll call this worth a watch, but maybe don't get set your hopes high for something mind-blowing.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-02-2018 at 03:26 PM.

This'll be my first year doing this without cable, so no TCM or AMC holiday programing for me. But with about 4 different movie apps, I've still got waaaaaay more choices than I'll need.

1. Tourist Trap (1979)

This is a weird one, made up of elements that feel like they should have come from 2 or 3 different movies. The main thing it's got going for it is an army of creepy, killer mannequins. Some of them are very realistic-looking, others are more hideous, and it's a toss-up which ones are more unsettling to see unhinge their jaws like cobras while singing eerily and chanting "come join us". Chuck Connors of The Rifleman fame is also good in it.

This is available to watch for free with Amazon Prime, but for anyone with a subscription to Shudder, I recommend watching it the way I did: with "commercial" commentary by Joe Bob Briggs.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

I Got My Movie Viewing Going Already and it has been a BLAST So Far and I started it off with 2 of My Favorites!

I might give Reviews of some of these from time to time if I choose, but right now I just want to focus on the list;

1.) Big Trouble in Little China (1986)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090728/

2.) Shin Godzilla (2016)! - Blu-Ray DVD ~ English Dub

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4262980/

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Spectacular Member

It’s cool to see this thread (I don’t view the TV/Movie forums often). I try to watch at least one horror movie for each day in October, but this year I planned on letting my boys watch along with me since they are now older. I’m just prohibited by my wife to play anything for them that has nudity (so my selections are a bit trickier this year).

Last night the first movie was Stephen King’s Sleepwalkers. I completely forgot about the incestuous scenes between the mother and son. My wife wasn’t too happy with me.

Tonight I’m thinking of another Stephen King movie, Pet Semetery. Since I have the day off work today, I will probably play one of the old Universal Monster movies. Likely Dracula since I’m currently reading the novel.

BANNED

Dead Ringer (1964)

Any Bette Davis fans? This is one of my very favorites. It’s more of a thriller than horror but still kind of spooky.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Does the Venom movie count as horror"
    Given the timing of it and the "man becomes monster" premise, I would say yes. Not that it's actually a horror movie, but it seems to be horror-themed.

BANNED

My first movie from Yesterday was Sleepy Hollow the Audiobook, then the Johnny Dep film.

On October 2nd it's Insidious the last key.