Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Kuroneko (1968)

Two peasant women are raped and murdered by a group of samurai. The women come back as cat vampire spirits seeking revenge.

BANNED

Almost forgot today's film was Kill Baby Kill. It'll also be tomorrows, to finish it up.
    This movie has what made those old Hammer, and Universal Films, great and Iconic. TONS of Atmosphere and character interaction and building tension.

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- Suspiria (1977)
    October 2nd. 2- Nosferatu: The Vampyre (1979)
    October 3rd. 3- Halloween (1978)
    October 4th. 4- The Ritual (2018) 5- Phantasm (1979)
    October 5th. 6- V/H/S/2 (2013)
    October 6th. 7- Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Badly acted, badly written, cheapo slasher. But it's bad in all the right ways to be memorable. Apparently, it has multiple sequels with at least two continuities, including a short film. I don't know if I'll be checking them out...if I have enough drinks I might.

Spoilerific 'professional' discussion of the film here.
    "this is why AIDs was invented".

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post

The women come back as cat vampire spirits seeking revenge.
    As you do, of course.
    Last edited by Jared; 08-21-2020 at 06:26 PM.

1. Tourist Trap (1979)
    2. Poltergeist II (1986)
    3a. Frankenstein (1931)
    3b. Sleepaway Camp (1983)
    4. Isle of the Dead (1945)
    5a. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    5b. Venom (2018)
    6a. Son of Frankenstein (1939)
    6b. Rabid (1977)
    7a. The Prowler (1981)

A by-the-numbers slasher movie, saved from complete mediocrity by some EXCELLENT kills by Tom Savini. I mean, damn. And they’re not done quickly, either, the camera knows to linger on that craft.

The killer has an interesting look to him too, in a mask and army fatigues and wielding a pitchfork. Why a pitchfork, specifically? And why is he called a prowler? No reason, it’s all dumb.

7b. Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988)

As you can probably tell by the name and the puppet, this one is dumb as hell. Fun dumb, though, if that’s a classification you believe in. A sorority initiation sends a group of dumb teens to a bowling alley after dark, where they accidentally free an imp who grants ironically-evil wishes. I mean, kind of. It forgets about the wish thing right away and just starts making the teens kill each other for no real reason.

It’s like if you put Little Shop of Horrors, Night of the Demons, and The Monkey’s Paw in a blender...and then went out and shot a cheap movie in 12 days. Not recommended, but also...like, recommended, if you know what I mean.

Incredible Member

October 7th. 8- The Shining (1980)

I've seen this before of course, though this is the first time I can definitely say that I sat down and watched all of it at once. It's masterfully filmed and scored. Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duvall are great. Though I think it's really fairly straight foward as a story, it's presented in such a way as to have people questioning and theorizing about it 40 years later.

The TV miniseries with Steven Weber might be more faithful to the book, but it's total garbage compared to this.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-09-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

1-Hush (2016).
    2-Rings (2017).
    3-The Omen (1976).
    4-1922. (2017).

5-The Wolfman.(2010) A remake of a classic Horror Movie that have great cinematography and actors.But does lack scary scenes. 6.0

Astonishing Member

Okay, so yesterday I also watched (I say watched, but it's really more like put it on and half-watched while I did stuff around the house) these two films:

Night Monster
    NightMonster.jpg
    A sort of haunted house mystery with some Eastern mysticism (or the 1940s perception of it) and mind-over-matter stuff worked in.

and Captive Wild Woman
    CaptiveWildWoman.jpg
    You know, I can't quite explain my love for Captive Wild Woman or the rest of the "Ape-Woman Trilogy". The plot of turning a circus ape into a woman sounds silly even for an old horror movie. It's also a film that uses recycled footage from an old Clyde Beatty circus film titled The Big Cage (a person they even reference in the movie). But there's still something really earnest about it. And the Ape-Woman aka Cheela aka Paula Dupree is the first and only female Universal Monster that's not a distaff version of another character, despite it not being that well known.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool

1.) Big Trouble in Little China (1986)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD
    2.) Shin Godzilla (2016)! - Blu-Ray DVD ~ English Dub
    3.) Stigmata (1999)! ~ Regular DVD
    4.) Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! (1978)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD
    5.) The War of the Worlds (1953)! ~~ DVD
    6.) The Seventh Sign (1988)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD

7.) Deep Rising (1998)! ~~ HULU

IMO this is one of those Very Unappreciated and often looked over of its times 1990's Kaiju movies mixed with Great Over the Top Great Cheeses action movies like Speed with Poseidon Adventure mixed in their. While the CGI can seem dated, it still does the monster justice, with an amazing kill count that still rivals many on the screen Kaiju deaths of humans that you actually see the results of, with a gore level to boot that is impressive at many times, with nearly all practical effects while still some CGI, but they blend them both well together.

I always enjoy watching this movie for a whole host of reasons and a good cast that brings it to nice, Funny Life.

Last edited by CJStriker; 10-08-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

Tonights movie is here.

Another Old school Classic horror film.

Incredible Member

October 8th. 9- City of the Dead (1960)

Also known as Horror Hotel which is a more fitting title, IMO.
    Saw this talked about earlier. It's on Amazon Prime and Youtube, and only about 75 minutes long.

It came out the same year as Psycho and has a similar structure.

Amusingly, perhaps the unintended message of the film is that the infamous witch burnings in New England were probably justified.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-02-2018 at 03:42 PM.

1. Tourist Trap (1979)
    2. Poltergeist II (1986)
    3a. Frankenstein (1931)
    5b. Venom (2018)
    6b. Rabid (1977)
    7a. [url=https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082951/]The Prowler (1981)
    7b. [url=https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096142/]Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988)
    8. Daughters of Darkness (1971)

I don't usually use "pretentious" as a criticism, because I'm not necessarily against pretension in media. But this was one pretentious, boring, artsy-fartsy slog of a movie.

A douchebag with a mysterious past and a ton of red flags gets married to a bore, and the two of them go to a hotel in the middle of nowhere, Belgium. A countess arrives with her sexy young female companion and the two of them decide to corrupt the young couple with sex stuff. Sounds better than it is. The douchebag grows douchier and the bore does nothing because she's boring. Oh, the countess and the companion are vampires, I guess. I mention it as an afterthought because they don't do anything vampiric. Or, well, no, to be more precise, they don't do anything supernatural. The movie plays a little "are they or aren't they?" with the question, and...spoiler...the answer is who cares.

Incredible Member

October 8th. 9- City of the Dead (1960)
    10- Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf (1985)

Also known as in some markets as Howling II: Stirba Werewolf Bitch...yes, really. Sir Christopher Lee's second appearance on my list, and there's always a chance he'll show up again. Story goes that Lee thought this sequel was so terrible he apologized to the director or the original.

The movie features nonsense plot that feels like a vampire story was re-written, goofy performances, absurd costumes, 80s music video editing, Reb Brown's screaming dramatically, and a holy hand grenade. And, If anyone has a fetish for people in third-rate werewolf makeup writing around in pretend orgies, boy is this the movie for you!

Did you know some werewolves are so strong that they're immune to silver and can only be killed by titanium? Of course not, because this movie just made that up for absolutely no reason.

The original movie was nothing special, IMO, but it was a a decent lycan flick. This...well it's entertaining in a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnsJTrB7NEw&t=132s
    Last edited by Jared; 08-21-2020 at 06:29 PM.

BANNED

I love seeing the City of the Dead pop up so much. Dig it.

My movie today is Plague of the Zombies. 1966
    Phenomenal Film. Great atmosphere in this.

Full Movie on Dailymotion.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...laylist=x5yy19
    Last edited by Tazirai; 10-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.

1. Tourist Trap (1979)
    2. Poltergeist II (1986)
    3a. Frankenstein (1931)
    5b. Venom (2018)
    6b. Rabid (1977)
    7a. The Prowler (1981)
    7b. Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988)
    8. Daughters of Darkness (1971)
    9. Fiend Without a Face (1958)

It's the 1950s, and Old Lady Science is up to her tricks again, creating invisible monsters that suck people's brains out through their heads. And in the third act, they're not invisible anymore, and they're revealed to be little brains with tentacles and eye stalks, and they have little spinal columns for tails. Hey, don't ask me, I just work here.

Most of the movie is pretty boring, since the "monster attack" scenes are just people freezing up and pretending that something's sucking their brains out. Once you can see the monsters, it at least becomes funny. And surprisingly gory, for a 50s movie.

Incredible Member

October 8th. 9- City of the Dead (1960). 10- Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf (1985) 11- Venom (2018)

A lot of folks seeing this one. I've seen a lot of comparisons to the superhero films of the early 00s and while that's somewhat understandable it should be noted that this is a far better movie than the likes of Daredevil or Ghost Rider. I would say it's a matinee or rental unless you're particularly a fan of Tom Hardy and/or the Venom character and have been waiting to see the big guy on screen. Hardy and Venom's interactions are the highlight of the movie.

Hardy and the director have said a lot was cut to be PG-13 and for running time, and I believe it. The second act feels very abbreviated, but at least it doesn't seem choppily edited to hell like the recent The Predator.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-02-2018 at 03:45 PM.